DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I'm a "cable cutter" so no BBC America anymore. As a rabid Whovian, I am now faced with the reality of having no way to actually watch this season as it happens and that...well, shit, that's not ok.

Finally caught up on New Who, have a question about the Five(ish) Doctors Reboot : at the end of the scene where Davison tells McCoy this isn't some fly by night $500 Million movie, this is something really important, a woman turns around, recognizes Davison, chases after him and is never seen again. Can anyone tell me who that woman was?

The third episode of "Omega" has one of the most fabulous cliffhangers in the history of Doctor Who, and it's an "only in audio" thing for sure. Tomorrow I'm starting Dark Eyes 2...I spent waaaay too much money on the BF anniversary sale. (I was disappointed they never put any but the first season of Eight and Lucie up on discount, because I have that and need the others. But I would be eating ramen for the entirety of Dragoncon if they had discounted three things that cost that much three weeks before the con.)

The response from Britons on various sites seems to have been "I'll believe it when a REAL news source reports it; the Mirror doesn't count."

That said, it wouldn't bother me too much.

I've always felt that the best duration for a companion is a season and a half or so; much as I love some of the long runners I was *tired* of them by the time they got ready to leave. (Charley and the Ponds being the worst offenders for me.)

I continue to work my way through the stuff I picked up during the Big Finish Anniversary sale. Dark Eyes 2 was very good in spite of the Viyrans, who after the Charlotte Pollard box set I would be very happy not to hear from ever again ever. I got very confused when ep 2 started, then figured out where they were going in about 3 minutes and was fine. Tomorrow at work is the first half of "Davros", and I have high hopes for it. I really need to listen to the Dalek Empire stuff I got, as 'what does Dalek conquest look like when there's no Doctor around?' seems like a very interesting question.

I like how there are Who pods in the US who have already posted reviews. Kayfabe, brother.

I mostly liked it. Ready for Scooby Gang to go away. Capaldi and JLC were good. 7.5-8/10 for me

The Official DW twitter feed actually spoiled one of the surpises about 15 m after the episode. I'm sure the US fans waiting to watch on BBCA loved that.

First half of the episode was pretty weak. Worst parts were when Moffat was either trying to overcompensate to prove he wasn't a chauvinist or when he was outright attacking the people who think that he is. A little too self-aware. Some good development for Clara, once you admit to yourself that, no, she doesn't remember any of her trips through the different lifetimes. Capaldi grew into the role as the episode went on. Some clever plot stuff and not so clever plot stuff. A nice hook for the season, maybe? I think the episode will be remember a bit more for the kind of hilarious, if distracting and misguided, assault on a lot of the fanbase:

The Doctor is NOT your boyfriend.

A lot of the worst parts of this episode shouldn't be an issue for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

I'm still a bit unclear as to why Clara should be so disturbed by the regeneration.  Even if she doesn't remember her previous lives, she's still met four of them*, not to mention "her" Doctor as a much older man.

*Remember that the Christmas special established that she remembers "Captain Grumpy."

I'm still a bit unclear as to why Clara should be so disturbed by the regeneration.  Even if she doesn't remember her previous lives, she's still met four of them*, not to mention "her" Doctor as a much older man.

*Remember that the Christmas special established that she remembers "Captain Grumpy."

I'm not tagging this. But we've also had years of a dark, sort of brooding,lying doctor. He was hiding behind the young face, but he was there. His behavior, especially at that point of the episode, wasn't much worse than what we're used to.

Was it me, or was Capaldi noticeably kept apart from the Tumblr crew for the most part?  The cartoon horn honk when he passed out was the single worst thing to happen in nuWho.  My jaw dropped when that happened.

Fun fact: the gadgets that the Tumblr crew were using were designed by children for a (nearly 60 year old) kids show contest