DVDVR Message Board

October 2013 NHL Thread

Death From Above

Dear Pittsburgh, please title your tweets better. sincerely me.

"Sid playing catcher. #BurghProud #Buctober http://instagram.com/p/e7neSiupIH/ "

I mean, your average hockey fan is pretty homophobic already, don't make it so easy!

To me, Kessel is making way too much money, he's just not a franchise player, I don't think.  Yeah, yeah, I've heard the stuff about him being one of the few players to be in the Top 10 of goals and points in the last two seasons, he's also a streaky scorer who disappears for stretches and doesn't do a whole besides score (Not generally on the PK, doesn't do much defensively, has no physical game to speak of etc. etc.).  And, I know all about undeserved extensions: I'm an Oilers fan.

• Like 1

To me, Kessel is making way too much money, he's just not a franchise player, I don't think.  Yeah, yeah, I've heard the stuff about him being one of the few players to be in the Top 10 of goals and points in the last two seasons, he's also a streaky scorer who disappears for stretches and doesn't do a whole besides score (Not generally on the PK, doesn't do much defensively, has no physical game to speak of etc. etc.).  And, I know all about undeserved extensions: I'm an Oilers fan.

Kessel is a crazy underrated set-up guy. You look at the passing ability he displayed last season, and in years previous, and it's easy to see he's more than just a sniper. He's also improved a ton on his back checking, he's no Datsyuk in that regard but he's hardly a liability either. He still has the stretches where he can't score but he was still integral to the team and put up a bunch of assists during that time. The age he is, the shot he has and the all round game to go with it makes it a good deal for me.

Not looking forward to the Sabres getting housed at Detroit tomorrow night, followed by everyone on the team blaming everyone else for it.

The only entertainment we are going to have all season is John Scott fighting people. In fact, I think that should be the top play in our playbook, where we send him out to clean house ala New Jack or 911 when we are getting beat.