DVDVR Message Board

October 2013 NHL Thread

Death From Above

I like how everyone is all "yay CBC finally has a woman involved in HNIC" (*) but as soon as you make a comment pointing to that fact you get branded as sexist.

* = Cassie Campbell doesn't count. Convinced she was a cyborg.

This has to be the make or break year for the Oilers, right? Not to win, but to make the playoffs at the very least. Their vaunted core of high draft picks have now all had 2-5 years in the league by this point. If they finish 6th or 7th in the division, 20 points out, you'd have to blow them up, right?

This has to be the make or break year for the Oilers, right? Not to win, but to make the playoffs at the very least. Their vaunted core of high draft picks have now all had 2-5 years in the league by this point. If they finish 6th or 7th in the division, 20 points out, you'd have to blow them up, right?

They had the number 1 pick for three consecutive years and need to blow it all up already?

At least they never drafted Erik Johnson: Amateur Golf Cart Driver.

I think Edmontons biggest problem is they lack depth, and you simply can't win that way in the West. Using the Blues as an example, the Oilers probably have 4 guys who would be 1st liners in St. Louis: Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov. However, I'm not sure how many other forwards on the Oilers aren't healthy scratches right now if there Blues. Admittedly that is the stylistic issue, but that's how the West is played. If you try to out finesse the Blackhawks, Kings, or Blues, they'll just bully you around.

Basically, the Oilers need gritty, talented depth imo.

There are Oilers fans bitching we should have Thomas instead of Dubnyk and I don't even know how to respond to that. The glee some of them have throwing Dubnyk under the bus all of 2 games into a year is just astonishing.

"Sometimes I hate the fans of teams I love." - Phil Rippa

• Like 1

There are Oilers fans bitching we should have Thomas instead of Dubnyk and I don't even know how to respond to that. The glee some of them have throwing Dubnyk under the bus all of 2 games into a year is just astonishing.

"Sometimes I hate the fans of teams I love." - Phil Rippa

Except Dubnyk has always been terrible and always will be terrible. This shouldn't be surprising.

You mean other than last year when he was the best goalie in the division?

Granted, Kiprusoff was beyond dreadful, Colorado are Colorado, Vancouver were still working on figuring out how to blame global warming on Luongo's hair, and Minnesota play so negative that it's impossible to evaluate their goaltending. But still.

• Like 1