DVDVR Message Board

October 2013 NHL Thread

Death From Above

I wonder if there's anyone as beloved by a city like Teemu is to Winnipeg, who played for as short of time in that city? Does that make sense? That reads like the most awkward sentence to me.

Basically my point is that Teemu played less than four years here, 18 years ago, and yet he is god in this town.

Well, it's going to be an interesting season as a Flames fan. For the first three games, their effort has been outstanding, and they've shown a lot more offensive flash than anyone could have expected. That will be a huge improvement over last year if they can keep it up. BUT... their defense is atrocious, and their goalies are all questionable, so in that sense it's the same old Flames, in that it appears they can lose any lead, no matter how apparently safe. I think we're in for a lot of high-scoring games...

God - the Rangers schedule is just stupid. And I am not even talking about the fact that they have to start the season with 9 straight road games because of the renovations at MSG.

Everyone has played at least two games, a few teams played 3. The Flyers played enough to get their coach fired.

The Rangers have played once. And that was on Thursday.

Why the fuck they have to play back to back games against LA and San Jose is beyond me?

I wonder if there's anyone as beloved by a city like Teemu is to Winnipeg, who played for as short of time in that city? Does that make sense? That reads like the most awkward sentence to me.

Basically my point is that Teemu played less than four years here, 18 years ago, and yet he is god in this town.

The worst part is that there was no reason for him to ever leave.  At that point, the Jets had Selanne, Alexei Zhamnov and Keith Tkachuk.  They realized, financially, they couldn't keep all three and, for some insane reason, decided to deal Selanne, the guy who did all the charity work in Winnipeg and was beloved by the fans.  See, I get keeping Tkachuk over Selanne, he was a big-time power forward and those are really difficult to find.  I don't get in what universe you would keep Zhamnov over Selanne, especially when Zhamnov's first interaction with the Jets was trying to sue them because he wanted to be a free agent?!

It appears Laviolette is done in Philly.

You know everyone is saying "Too soon!" "He only got 3 games!" etc. etc. but if anyone watched yesterday's CAR-PHI game...man, Laviolette needed to go.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a team NOT play for their coach as much as the Flyers against the Hurricanes.  They were down 1 GOAL going into the 3rd and got 3(!) shots on goal in that period.  It was just brutal.

Welcome to every Oilers schedule ever. Enjoy your stay.

By the way, Dallas Eakins says expect Ryan Smyth to be a healthy scratch tonight. So much for that bizarre first line experiment.

His reasoning of how Smyth wouldn't pout seemed weird.  This guy is a professional so we'll bench him!  That'll teach the other guys.  :D

Really he was just being nice instead of saying Smyth can barely skate anymore.

This start to the year is beyond unfunny. Fans in this city are as tired of hearing about potential as could be possible.

That's especially what worries me. There are actual expectations now. Eakins doesn't get results, Eakins goes.