Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

I know opinions on Bix can be a little mixed around these parts, but I highly recommend reading his article on Deadspin about the WWE's Crown Jewel show in light of the fact that the Saudi government murdered and dismembered a journalist a few days ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US government has pledged to not end relations with Saudi Arabia over this, but people really expect a wrestling company to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Casey said:

The US government has pledged to not end relations with Saudi Arabia over this, but people really expect a wrestling company to?

Well no, no one actually expects them to.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the second most successful wrestling promotion of all time? When taking into account, both peak and longevity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

CMLL has been around waaaayyy longer than WWE.

Yeah, longevity matters but it’s just part of the criteria. Nobody can argue that WWE isn’t by the far the most successful wrestling company ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's probably why WWE is faltering right now.  Vince's right-wing belief system really bleeds through into the storylines and booking, and what Vince believes is not what his fanbase believes.  For example, the right wing has a real hardon for the laughable myth of American exceptionalism/individualism and it informs the booking of every babyface Vince has.  Shit, the Shield JUST got back together and they're already teasing a breakup.  Only heels have each other's backs.  Babyfaces are all "self made" and act alone.   A more liberal fanbase is not going to be down with this cynical bullshit over and over.

Here's a really good post I read a while back that contrasts New Japan's stable system with WWE's "everybody is out to get you so fuck them first" style.

 

I do not want to get in a political discussion, but this is some unfounded crazytalk. Wrestling has always been a mixed-up jumble of conservative & reactionary (outsiders are evil!) and liberal & progressive (different folks can work together!) viewpoints but has mostly stayed apolitical. The McMahon family (as did most promoters) supported whatever party was in power and whomever would let them make as much dirty carny money as possible. Vince and Linda in particular contributed to both the Republicans and Democrats for decades, and her run as a Rep. candidate was mere opportunism. The Trump connection is based on his reality show fame and mutual money-making, not necessarily from shared values. A large part of both rassling story arcs and match psychology are based on the individual, often the underdog, overcoming the odds. The Elite/1%/Rich White Guys believe they are better and therefore deserve what they have - that's human nature. The Randian individualism "philosophy" shares this view as well, and is adopted by some of the far Right folks as well as the Libertarians. Breaking up groups and turning faces has been around since Oog threw a worked punch at Mok, in front of the whole tribe, not to say they aren't overused tropes by a crappy writing committee. The idea that VKM thinks that a grim negative booking trend to prove a political point will draw more money than one that makes fans happy is ridiculous.

C'mon, Mr. McMahon is guilty of a bunch of stuff as the man with the most booking power (the potty humor, the misogyny, the out-of-date references) but he has never been of a political bent or especially of advancing a political agenda by booking anti-humanist propagandas.

Then again, the personal is the political, so what do I know?

- RAF

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I know opinions on Bix can be a little mixed around these parts, but I highly recommend reading his article on Deadspin about the WWE's Crown Jewel show in light of the fact that the Saudi government murdered and dismembered a journalist a few days ago.

The thing that stands out to me was how funny I found 'Mayor Jacobs' to sound. I don't know why but I half expected him to be known as Mayor Kane. (Or the Mayor Kane, in the spirit of The Demon Kane'

 

Now I really can't wait for the 2020 Royal Rumble when Kane reenacts the 1998 Royal Rumble and enters as all three faces of Foley Kane - 

 

Kane!

The Demon Kane!

THE MAYOR KANE!!!

 

Oh my god, Mrs Jacobs baby boy is pulling a triple header!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Adam said:

The thing that stands out to me was how funny I found 'Mayor Jacobs' to sound. I don't know why but I half expected him to be known as Mayor Kane. (Or the Mayor Kane, in the spirit of The Demon Kane'

 

Now I really can't wait for the 2020 Royal Rumble when Kane reenacts the 1998 Royal Rumble and enters as all three faces of Foley Kane - 

 

Kane!

The Demon Kane!

THE MAYOR KANE!!!

 

Oh my god, Mrs Jacobs baby boy is pulling a triple header!

Would Mayor Kane be different to Korporate Kane?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Midnight Express (the Condrey/Eaton version) are probably my favorite tag team and Dennis Condrey now needing a voice box makes it tough to imagine that they will ever be topped in my mind

However - Eaton and Condrey in the battle to see who will make them Half Dead Team Tournament eligible first makes me sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Breaking up groups and turning faces has been around since Oog threw a worked punch at Mok, in front of the whole tribe, not to say they aren't overused tropes by a crappy writing committee. 

How was Oog's missile dropkick?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Would Mayor Kane be different to Korporate Kane?

"Korporate (Interests) Kane" should totally be the spin of Jacobs' next mayoral opponent's campaign platform.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meij himself came out and said that Meltzer got the new GM for NJPW completely wrong and Tama is also mistaken, so I suppose we can put that rumor to rest that NJPW is at this very low point and the gaijins want to leave or whateverthefuck.

Or Meij is doing damage control. I could understand Meltzer getting it wrong or maybe being fed somewhat inaccurate information, but Tama? Then again, Tama doesn't seem like the smartest guy in the business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Meltzer got the name and job title from Kelly/Charlton during the King of Pro Wrestling broadcast, not "backstage sources" or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, that's the thing that gets me is that like you said, Dave knows a lot of people at NJPW so how could the write up in the Observer be that wrong? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If everyone gets a Norovirus and it becomes a shit cruise, this will be the greatest broadcasted event in history. Also, having known Bix during his um "pre-woke" period, I resist the urge to secretly destroy his journalistic career using nothing but some old IRC logs I'm sure people have.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mystman said:

Holy shit if this even has a kernal of truth to it. I mean, I consider myself a fairly conservative/libertarian guy, but I'm not against fucking FRIENDSHIP!

until the opportunity arises to advance your personal goals, so you kick your friend and throw him through a glass window

Hypothetically speaking, of course

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're not friends, but... *throws @Nice Guy Eddie through a plate glass window* It just felt like the thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Meij himself came out and said that Meltzer got the new GM for NJPW completely wrong and Tama is also mistaken, so I suppose we can put that rumor to rest that NJPW is at this very low point and the gaijins want to leave or whateverthefuck.

Or Meij is doing damage control. I could understand Meltzer getting it wrong or maybe being fed somewhat inaccurate information, but Tama? Then again, Tama doesn't seem like the smartest guy in the business.

Please let this be the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never read any of Bix's articles, but I've seen him on that one Netflix Hulk Hogan Gawker documentary and I've seen him pop up around these parts in the past and on PWO, plus some of his tweets being posted on here and yikes...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

We're not friends, but... *throws @Nice Guy Eddie through a plate glass window* It just felt like the thing to do.

Wow, I didn't know I was so disliked around here. I probably should have been more Mr. Blonde. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie, you're supposed to blade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Eddie, you're supposed to blade.

I'm going into business for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...