DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - AUGUST

Dolfan in NYC

Nats trade Daniel Murphy to the Cubs for a minor league player and future considerations. That sound you just heard was Cindy's Cubs acceptance circling the drain...

The Nats also traded Matt Adams to the Cards.

Bryce Harper was also claimed off of waivers but he was pulled back

EDIT

Correction - Adams is a straight waiver claim by the Cards.

Aaaand Yu is out for the rest of the season. He was one of my favourite pitchers since coming from Japan, so I was happy to see him revive his career in Chicago, but the last 12 or so months have been an absolute disaster for Darvish. :( 

I thought Yu Darvish sucked. Way too much for someone oft injured and for someone who can't get the job done. Meh, whatever. It's not like he made a difference this year anyway.

I also couldn't care less about the Cubs signing Murphy. Yeah, Murphy is a huge piece of shit and a fucking idiot, but in terms of baseball, this was as much about not letting another team get him as it was about the Cubs needing him as a missing piece or something.

All of this really doesn't matter when you consider that tonight was the FIFTH FUCKING GAME IN A ROW WHERE THE CUBS SCORED ONE FUCKING RUN OFF OF A SOLO HOMER. AGAINST THE TIGERS. WTF!

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure where “Daniel Murphy is a piece of shit” is coming from but okay.....

There's him being a homophobe...  

(Yes I know what he said.  It's not a "lifestyle", it's not a choice, it's just life.)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Totally missed that

I figured it was Craig saying he still sucks at baseball (which had hadn’t since he got healthy)

No, it's what he said about the "homosexual lifestyle."

As for baseball, he's still basically a statue anywhere in the field, but he can hit, so there's that.

I will say this - as I was Googling to learn what you guys where talking about (which as soon as I saw the story I was like OH! That's right)

Apparently he and Billy Bean are good friends now and (this is all per Bean from a interview a year or so okay) that it was actually the reaction to his original comments caused Murphy and his wife to reach out to Bean and that is what started the friendship and Bean says that the Murphys have "evolved" (whatever that means) in their thinking

So maybe progress????

I don't believe Daniel Murphy is a Westboro Baptist Church "Let 'em all hang" type.  I do think he's an oaf and didn't fully understand his super-religious POV wouldn't be gladly accepted until the backlash - especially in New York.  So, all that said, until he actually shows he's progressed as a person (volunteer work, charity, or hell, even an interview talking about this again), I'm still on the "fuck that guy" bandwagon.   

But that's me.  Others may be more willing to forgive and forget.  

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I don't believe Daniel Murphy is a Westboro Baptist Church "Let 'em all hang" type.  I do think he's an oaf and didn't fully understand his super-religious POV wouldn't be gladly accepted until the backlash - especially in New York.  So, all that said, until he actually shows he's progressed as a person (volunteer work, charity, or hell, even an interview talking about this again), I'm still on the "fuck that guy" bandwagon.   

But that's me.  Others may be more willing to forgive and forget.  

If he was just covering his ass with PR wouldn't he have made his conversation with Beane public? Instead he did the exact opposite. Wouldn't that be a good indicator of sincerity?

On 8/22/2018 at 11:49 AM, Craig H said:

As for baseball, he's still basically a statue anywhere in the field, but he can hit, so there's that.

He'll most likely sign with an AL team. I'd prefer to have one steady DH, as opposed to the more recent trend of rotating the DH spot, using it as a half day off.

The Nats had a 32 inning scoreless steak before finally scoring in the 6th today

They then 14 more runs in the 8th and 9th.

This is way they are so shitty but have a decent run differential

• Like 1

One of my friends said tonight was the worst attended yanks/o's games he can ever remember attending. 

I told that to one of the guys at work who went over the weekend and he said all the seats down low were almost all yankees fans. 

It’s always that way

The Yanks scored twice and a let’s go Yanks chant broke out.

You can say it’s what happens when a team is gonna lose a 115 games but the Camden crowds have been pro-Yanks for awhile now