DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - AUGUST

Dolfan in NYC

He's going to be plenty pissed in a couple weeks when the Dodgers are there. That big ass travel group Pantone 294 will be there on 8/18, and they roll hella deep. There will be at least 1000 of them, for sure. 

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

I don't get why so many people from B.C. are Blue Jays fans just because they're a canadian team. By that logic, I should be a fan of 29 MLB teams. 

There’s a clear insecurity regarding what Canadian identity means in relation to American art and entertainment. IMO, the popularity of the Jays is that mindset extending into sports. 

Sometimes that’s a reductive way of thinking and sometimes it produces interesting discussions. But it’s something I think is definitely there.

Shit, look at the way Canadian wrestling fans latch onto dudes. We’re needy people. 

It's also because if you want to follow baseball in Canada, especially if you became a fan before Sportsnet went all in on baseball before they got the NHL deal, the Jays were pretty much your only option to follow and get in depth coverage. Even when the Expos were still around, the Jays would get 80% of the coverage on English TV.

You'll also find a lot more Cubs fans then you would expect, because we all got WGN.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elizium said:

It's also because if you want to follow baseball in Canada, especially if you became a fan before Sportsnet went all in on baseball before they got the NHL deal, the Jays were pretty much your only option to follow and get in depth coverage. Even when the Expos were still around, the Jays would get 80% of the coverage on English TV.

You'll also find a lot more Cubs fans then you would expect, because we all got WGN.

The Cubs pulling their games from WGN and the Braves pulling their games from TBS was really a penny wise and pound foolish move in the long run. Their games being on those stations led to both teams having gigantic fan bases throughout the country, with that no longer being the case that will likely go away over time (not as much for the Cubs but definitely for the Braves).

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Oddly, those occasional White Sox games aren’t winning many hearts and minds in my neck of the woods. 

Who wilfully becomes a White Sox fan after listening to Hawk Harrelson?

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, elizium said:

Who wilfully becomes a White Sox fan after listening to Hawk Harrelson?

He's the TV voice of games broadcast in Hell (John Sterling is the radio voice).

• Like 2

MItch Hangier is the legit wrestling fan because he made the Inside Baseball pick.

So inside that I can't tell who it actually is, though the lightning bolt chest has me leaning towards Sean Waltman

On 8/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, grilledcheese said:

He's going to be plenty pissed in a couple weeks when the Dodgers are there. That big ass travel group Pantone 294 will be there on 8/18, and they roll hella deep. There will be at least 1000 of them, for sure. 

Couple years ago, went to the Dodgers/Mariners game at Safeco. Walking around town beforehand, saw at least 100 people wearing Dodgers jerseys and maybe one wearing a Mariners jersey. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:08 AM, RIPPA said:

Scioscia says the report is "poppycock"

That pretty much guarantees it's true. Do we really think he'll be back?