DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

I wouldn't have hated the neck snap nearly as much as I did, if it didn't feel like a totally avoidable action.  They did a horrible job of making it look like it was Superman's only course of action.  The people Zod were aiming at stood there like fucking idiots.  Superman could have flown up with Zod, fell to the side with Zod, fell backwards with Zod, thrown Zod to the ground, hell, I would have accepted Superman doing the side Russian Legsweep to Zod.  I get the feeling alot of other folks would have at least accepted it, if the situation were less avoidable.

MoS was as good as a Superman movie could possibly be. My main issue with it was Zod, the highest ranking general on a whole planet who is supposed to be the villain for the entire movie, is bitched out by the protagonist's pencil-pushing pocket protector-wearing father 15 minutes into the film. So. Fucking. Stupid.

Goddamn it I like Terminator Salvation. I like it a lot. The scene where John escapes the bunker, gets in a chopper, is shot down, then is attacked by a Terminator is great. I'm not usually a big "OOOH ONE TAKE THIS AUTOMATICALLY MAKES IT GOOD" guy like the people that liked Children of Men are, but it worked great in here.

All the nods to the previous movies are boss too.

MoS was as good as a Superman movie could possibly be. My main issue with it was Zod, the highest ranking general on a whole planet who is supposed to be the villain for the entire movie, is bitched out by the protagonist's pencil-pushing pocket protector-wearing father 15 minutes into the film. So. Fucking. Stupid.

I bet you enjoy every action movie with the cliched scene of a scientist going into an explanation and the military general/colonel sternly says, "In English, please!".

• Like 1

Goddamn it I like Terminator Salvation. I like it a lot. The scene where John escapes the bunker, gets in a chopper, is shot down, then is attacked by a Terminator is great. I'm not usually a big "OOOH ONE TAKE THIS AUTOMATICALLY MAKES IT GOOD" guy like the people that liked Children of Men are, but it worked great in here.

All the nods to the previous movies are boss too.

I probably need to watch this again.  I hated it on first viewing to the point where I literally remember nothing from this film.  I'm certain I lost track of about 20 minutes while I was watching it.

I bet you enjoy every action movie with the cliched scene of a scientist going into an explanation and the military general/colonel sternly says, "In English, please!".

berlyn.jpg

In english, PLEASE!

Frances Ha.

Saw it on Sight and Sound's top ten and watched it on Netflix.

So bland. It's more or less a snapshot of a NYC no talent hipster's pathetic life. There's absolutely nothing there.

Then I read the reviews (93% on rotten tomatoes!) Where this movie defines a generation and I'm mystified.

And then I read that Noah Baumbach's parents were a film professor and a film critic, and that Greta Gerwig (the star) is his girlfriend, and it all makes sense.

Frances Ha.

So bland. It's more or less a snapshot of a NYC no talent hipster's pathetic life. There's absolutely nothing there.

Then I read the reviews (93% on rotten tomatoes!) Where this movie defines a generation and I'm mystified.

And then I read that Noah Baumbach's parents were a film professor and a film critic, and that Greta Gerwig (the star) is his girlfriend, and it all makes sense.

This encapsulates why i dont get the hype around Girls.

Frances Ha.

Just watched this last night. I liked it--so far, Baumbach hasn't done no wrong. Also, Francis clearly not "no talent," since she proves to be an adept choreographer. I think in some ways it's the female version of the "bromance" films we've been getting--how many films focus so intently on nonsexual love between women? And how many TV shows or films focus on the type of "cringe" humor that Larry David does so well, but does it with a female lead? That said, I can't imagine that it has an especially wide appeal, and I think that you have to be in the right mood for it. Me, I've been binge-watching DR. WHO and GRIMM for a couple of months, so something down-to-earth was greatly appreciated. 

Maybe. For me Frances is some one who clearly has talent, enough to be a choreographer but not a lead in the film. So she can't become the leading lady, but we're told that this is the goal we have to strive for. This is compounded by her friend "settling" for a guy with money and a heavy dose of pragmatism. Getting "abandoned" so her friend can sort of grow up, causes her to continue struggling until she ultimately learns to synthesize her childish personality and artists sensibilities with acceptance of responsibility as an adult. Now she's growing, without having to compromise everything that makes her unique. This is the struggle that I deal with all the time. I don't like money, I don't like that people tell me what it means to be an adult or a man. What I do like is acting and writing, and I don't care if I ever make money at it, it's what I do. But I do have to figure out how to live my life the way I want, while being responsible for my family and finding that balance has been the biggest struggle of my life. So it's totally my personal shit, but I connected with that movie quite a bit.

Also Greta Gerwig does the best drunk acting I've seen in ever.

Forgot, I watched a couple documentaries on Netflix the other night at my friend's while he was away. You know how I mentioned Jim Wynorski in the bad movies thread? Well turns out they made a doc on him called Popotopolis and it's hilarious. The deal is, his producers want him to film a softcore flick in three days, which is something I only think Roger Corman has ever done. He's up for the challenge and goes to work. It's hilarious -- he's such a pain to work for and the crew is literally like four other people. He talks about his past films, the cast psychoanalyze him, and he runs through shots at the speed of light to a very Curb Your Enthusiasm-style soundtrack which hits the nail right on the head. I laughed so hard watching this. Anyone who's ever had the pleasure of watching "classics" like Chopping Mall or Deathstalker II have to see this. 

The other one was the Morton Downey Jr. doc Evocateur whom a couple have posted about on here. God that man was a scumbag. At first I kind of felt bad for him, I thought he actually had a better voice than his father and it's obvious that inferiority complex plagued him his entire life... then he sexually assaults a couple women and any drop of sympathy I had went right down the shitter. He burns all his bridges, dies of lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking, nobody shows up to his funeral. Karma, anyone? 

Forgot, I watched a couple documentaries on Netflix the other night at my friend's while he was away. You know how I mentioned Jim Wynorski in the bad movies thread? Well turns out they made a doc on him called Popotopolis and it's hilarious. The deal is, his producers want him to film a softcore flick in three days, which is something I only think Roger Corman has ever done. He's up for the challenge and goes to work. It's hilarious -- he's such a pain to work for and the crew is literally like four other people. He talks about his past films, the cast psychoanalyze him, and he runs through shots at the speed of light to a very Curb Your Enthusiasm-style soundtrack which hits the nail right on the head. I laughed so hard watching this. Anyone who's ever had the pleasure of watching "classics" like Chopping Mall or Deathstalker II have to see this. 

The other one was the Morton Downey Jr. doc Evocateur whom a couple have posted about on here. God that man was a scumbag. At first I kind of felt bad for him, I thought he actually had a better voice than his father and it's obvious that inferiority complex plagued him his entire life... then he sexually assaults a couple women and any drop of sympathy I had went right down the shitter. He burns all his bridges, dies of lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking, nobody shows up to his funeral. Karma, anyone? 

To me the guy is just a symbol of a particular moment...when the 80s started to turn dark and the shiny excesses of the Spuds McKenzie decade started to get obviously grotesque.  For that he'll always be important, but in the same way that a lot of ugly people were in cultural history.

• Like 1