DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

No argument.  I own nearly all of those movies (just fucking waiting for The Abyss to get a fucking blu-ray release alfuckingready.  And, well, I've never gotten around to buying Piranha 2) and I'm a big fan of his visual style.

I didn't love Avatar, but I liked it.  Ditto Titanic.  But Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, T2, and True Lies...  That's one hell of a run.

Indy Jones > All

Tho I've always wanted a magical movie in which The Terminator finds himself as a bad guy in an Indiana Jones movie. But I don't know if the world could handle a Nazi Terminator. They would've won the war if they had him..

That was the basis of a Big Bang Theory episode where they point out that the movies title character and hero was completely irrelevant to the plot of the movie. Great movie but I'm not sure how a movie can be perfect when the guy the movie is named after and clear hero of the movie is completely irrelevant to the plot. 

It hurts the movie only after realization, and how much of your childhood has been crushed because of that epiphany.

As far as Speilberg v. Cameron, gotta give it to Stevie. Jaws is the only work of fiction (be it film, tv, literature, etc.) that has ever produced an actual change in my behavior. Still haven't gone into open water since I saw that movie. Which was about 22 years ago. I have no qualms with androids or ocean liners. 

• Like 1

What they actually mean is that if Indy wasn't there, either the nazis never would have found the Ark, or ot would have killed them just like it did.

What, is Hitler a tard or something and there are no such things as radios and maps and shit?  If you're going after something of Biblical importance that is going to help you win WW2 and take over earth, I'd like think that Der Fuhrer would want regular updates about your status and that you'd report in as often as possible.

What keeps the Nazis from sending a second expedition to the island (it appears to be a secret German base after all, so they'd know about it) to find out what happend to Belloq and the first expedition?  What keeps the second unit from figuring out that opening the Ark is a bad idea and they simply transport the Ark back to Germany?  Do the Nazi's win or does the Ark just nuke Germany if it is opened again?

Indy keeps the Ark out of enemy hands regardless of wher the artifact eventually ends up, so he is at least passingly relevant to the plot because he keeps the action focused.