DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

I watched The Exorcist a couple years back with a college audience at an art theater and it went over like a wet fart. Not even razzing it just, "that was boring and not scary". Kids these days, no patience.

On the other hand, Night of the Living Dead went from mockery to slow, mounting discomfort amongst them. I went from being furious to very, very happy.

the normal bullshit he was feeding us bout how birth control causes cancer and how condoms cause toxic shock syndrome.

On the other hand, there were birth control devices that caused toxic shock syndrome.

the normal bullshit he was feeding us bout how birth control causes cancer and how condoms cause toxic shock syndrome.

On the other hand, there were birth control devices that caused toxic shock syndrome.

Yeah.  But I didn't learn that from Father Schultz.  I learned that from Nell Carter.

Trying not to make a Mike Von Erich joke

It's definitely worth your time (although for the love of God find the theatrical cut, not the extended.  And I generally love extended cuts of everything.)

Also, whatever you do, do not, repeat, NOT, watch The Exorcist II: The Heretic.

I'm with Fowler. I saw the theatrical on TV as a kid and it ended so succinctly (and with fucking TUBULAR BELLS) that I will never trust a director's judgment again after seeing Friedkin's cut. Though he is a genius, and the spider walk should be in the original version. 

Personally I prefer The Omen to The Exorcist. 

Was going to make a really crude reference after that but I will respect others religious beliefs. In a Raven kind of way.

It's definitely worth your time (although for the love of God find the theatrical cut, not the extended.  And I generally love extended cuts of everything.)

Also, whatever you do, do not, repeat, NOT, watch The Exorcist II: The Heretic.

I remember Martin Scorsese giving a spirited defense of the sequel and claiming it was superior in some ways to the first.

I like to think he was just trolling everyone though.

I'm with Fowler. I saw the theatrical on TV as a kid and it ended so succinctly (and with fucking TUBULAR BELLS) that I will never trust a director's judgment again after seeing Friedkin's cut. Though he is a genius, and the spider walk should be in the original version.

Personally I prefer The Omen to The Exorcist.

Was going to make a really crude reference after that but I will respect others religious beliefs. In a Raven kind of way.

That reminds me, I was at a Grateful Dead show where, out of a 15 minute Space, where they'd do full sonic improv stuff, they went into Tubular Bells. Only time they ever did it and it blew many minds.

The demon popping up fucked with my young mind when I saw it. That thing was burned on my retinas for a year. And I watched it on a 9" tv and 3pm on a Saturday with a bunch of friends.

IMO, it's the most fucked up thing in the movie because it catches you off-guard. Yeah, the Reagan stuff is creepy, but presumably you've heard about the notorious stuff from reviews/friends before you saw it, so you go into her scenes expecting it all. Pazuzu's face was maybe the only thing I hadn't heard about before seeing it. It was a genuine shock.

Blancanieves.

Watched this on a lark, and I'm so glad I did.  Just a gorgeous film.  I was a little hesitant with the whole silent film thing, but it works as a throwback to those days but still works in a modern aspect as well.  Performances are through the roof, especially of the evil stepmother and Carmen -- throw in the dwarf who saves her life; he does nothing but look at her and you know exactly what he's feeling every time he's on screen.  But the real stars are the production design, the costuming, and the score.  Everything works, and everything is poetic and magical and I can't recommend it enough. 

I thought the extended version was based on William Peter Blatty's changes (things in his novel and screenplay that he was pissed got cut), not Friedkin's vision?

At least one change was the two priest's talking during an exorcism break. It's here that they say the target isn't the girl it's them. The devil wants to break their faith by bringing an innocent so low. The speech is somewhat unnecessary and obvious which is why Friedkin cut it, and that was the one that pissed Blatty off. I think he felt Friedkin was downplaying the religious stuff - which seems impossible when doing a movie about a girl possessed by a demon.

Blatty's book was fucking horrible, and I knew that when I was barely pubescent reading it. So was what I managed to read of Legion. If he really managed to get the film's cut changed then I'm appalled. 

Lawful Metal, I just watched the end of Prince of Darkness on TV and saw that scene in your sig again -- so awesome.

Watched Seven Psychopaths again last night and it's still awesome. It might be incredibly "meta" but I could care less. The Vietnamese killer story at the end tears me up bigtime.

Been awhile since I've watched any movies, thanks to my Dexter and Friday Night Lights marathons.  Watched a couple the last couple days though:

Diminished Capacity - Matthew Broderick plays a guy recovering from a serious concussion still having memory and other issues.  Alan Alda is his elderly uncle and has dementia.  Both have "diminished capacity", get it?  Anyway, Broderick goes to visit the uncle and learns he has a valuable baseball card and they head to Chicago to sell it.  Virginia Madsen is a childhood friend who also needs to go to Chicago so she's along for the ride with her kid.  This movie never really reaches the level of even "average" but the first 75 minutes aren't terrible.  It's gentle, a little funny and there's a certain sad sweetness to it.  Then the last 15 minutes goes all to hell as Alan Alda gets ripped off and we end up having a ridiculous brawl and a whole bunch of f-bombs out of nowhere.  Completely out-of-place and waaaay innappropriate for this movie.  Turns a not good movie into a bad one.  3/10.

Assault on Wall Street - Dominic Something-or-other (I believe that's his actual legal name) is an armored car guard whose wife has cancer at the start of the economic meltdown a couple years ago.  His insurance reaches its limit, his investments go south and the fat cats all get rich off of him.  His wife commits suicide and he decides it's time to get some PAYBACK.  Sure helps that he's a former Army sniper with a very expensive sniper rifle in the closet.  Anyway, he starts taking out the people that did him wrong.  He makes one final assault on the guys who did him wrong and somehow

gets away with it

.  He's at least a semi-sympathetic character right up to the end when he just mows down a whole bunch of people that had no connection to him whatsoever.  This is an Uwe Boll film and it's actually pretty good.  It's well-made and the story is decent enough.  That said, Boll did this "dude gets pissed off and mows down a whole bunch of innocents" better with Rampage, though that movie didn't have nearly the budget or production this one did.  Still, this was decent enough.  6/10.

Rampage is one of the ultimate "this dude probably exists and this is how this scenario goes down in his fucked up head" violent movies. If you saw breaking news on CNN at 2 pm, something like this would not completely shock you in this day and age.