DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Rocky is a legit great movie. Rocky II is kinda dull for the first two acts, but highly realistic.

Rocky won three Oscars, including Best Picture. It kills me that there are people who think all of the movies in the series are cartoony like 3 & 4. I like them all myself.

ROCKY is like SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER in that people who haven't seen them are sometimes really surprised that they're not what they think they were.

Finally got around (By finally, I mean because I am a full-on Gosling mark, full on Ben Mendelsohn-mark, turning into a real Bradley Cooper fan, and the previews looked friggin' excellent) to see Place Beyond the Pines.  I liked it a lot.  Gosling is perfect (You can tell he's not much of a screamer in real-life as everytime he screams, his voice cracks), Cooper and Medelsohn are totally good.  The only part I'm not sure if I'm sold on is the last act which is a little improbable and maybe a little overwrought.  But, I actually thought both the kids did an amazing job.  But, it looked amazing, and the bank robbery scenes were amazing.  I noticed a lot of times in movies with car chases and the like, you don't really get the impression that cars are moving quickly, even though they likely are.  But, this one made everything look like it was taking place at breakneck speed.

It also spurred on a terrific conversation amongst my siblings in which my brother and I decided were going to ape the bank robberies from the film, except that my brother is going to use his Vespa-type scooter, rob the courthouse's evidence room, and drive his scooter into the back of my old Saturn.  At the conclusion of said conversation, my mother concluded: "You guys are idiots."

Good movie.

So sort of by accident I went on a Scorsese binge this weekend. I rewatched Goodfellas and finally started to enjoy the film. In the past I never cared for the fact that the movie jumps around from spot to spot throughout nearly the entire movie. I've watched this movie before and felt like I was watching a 2 hour opening montage of a film where they go through a lot of events and happenings from different points of time very rapidly just to give you a slight idea of the world you're dealing in. Although I still feel this way the story is very compelling. 

Then I watched Shutter Island for the second time. I watched it a few years ago and loved it even if I felt the story was better when Teddy was being made into a crazy person than the reveal that he was a crazy person all along. I watched it again and I still think it holds up as an awesome movie and the slow burn of twists that come from right before he enters the cave to talk to "Rachel" all the way to the end is pretty damn awesome. 

Then I watched Gangs of New York which I loved the previous two times I saw it. Daniel Day Lewis still gives one of the best performances I remember seeing. However the story falls apart about halfway through the movie. I don't like the way the Butcher finds out about the boy he's been mentoring being the Priests child. From there it almost turns into a different movie where this boy somehow becomes this great leader and unites the Irish community. Then we get maybe three scenes with the new Sheriff before he becomes the Sheriff and then Bill the Butcher kills him in cold blood in broad daylight for all to see. Somehow this is important but I'm not real sure why. Not too mention the old Sheriff kind of just gets jobbed out. The final fight scene I thought was as anticlimactic as it gets. The protesters all being killed is slightly foreshadowed in a few draft scenes before it but honestly I didn't think it deserved to share time with the big battle at the end of the movie. All in all for me at least the movie falls apart right after the throws the knife at the Butcher. Which is sad because I wanted to love this movie so badly. 

Then on an unrelated note I tried to watch Oceans 12 as I remember loving this movie when it came out but for some reason it feels dated as fuck and the plot seems strange. You still a shit ton of cash from this guy, he knows who you are, you know he's going to know who you are, you do it anyway and when he comes to find you to demand it back you all just say "shit ok sorry we'll get you your money". Damon was fun in the movie but the rest of it was not near as fun as I remember and with all the tech advances in just the last ten years movies like Fast and the Furious have really done more entertaining heist movies more recently. 

I watched Creepshow during Halloween and just now got around to finishing Creepshow 2. 

That raft segment. Holy sh*t

It scared the crap out of me, as a kid, but I could never remember what movie that was from. For the longest time I thought it was from Nightmare on Elm Street, but I found out that wasn't true when I watched all of those movies a couple of years ago. Then, as soon as I saw that oil spot and the kids going for a raft in the middle of a lake, oh my - I knew what was coming.

The ending was a surprise to me too, so I guess I never made it that far as a kid.

SK's original short story fucking rules.

And yeah, Exorcist 3 is badass and fuck anyone who does not like Rocky 3.  Clubber Lang is one of the great movie antagonists of all time.

ROCKY is like SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER in that people who haven't seen them are sometimes really surprised that they're not what they think they were.

You nailed it.  "OMG, it's DISCO" which completely ignores that SNF is a legit excellent movie with a terrific story of escapism.

So sort of by accident I went on a Scorsese binge this weekend. I rewatched Goodfellas and finally started to enjoy the film. In the past I never cared for the fact that the movie jumps around from spot to spot throughout nearly the entire movie. I've watched this movie before and felt like I was watching a 2 hour opening montage of a film where they go through a lot of events and happenings from different points of time very rapidly just to give you a slight idea of the world you're dealing in. Although I still feel this way the story is very compelling. 

I always saw Goodfellas as a bunch of scenes/segments obviously linked together, but capable of standing out on their own too. Goodfellas is one of those films where I can watch one scene and feel pretty fulfilled and not have to see anymore. Each part tells its own little story. It's disjointed, and doesn't really feel "whole"  like you say, but in a good way.

Have we talked about Stoker yet?  Because that was a pretty dark and entertaining little tour-de-force?  I mean, who knew Mia Wasikowska had that kind of performance in her?  Great music, like getting Philip Glass to write a piano duet for the movie that plays like a fight between two characters and turns into a love scene?!  And the best credits I've seen this year!  Really loved this, did anyone else see it?

http://comicsalliance.com/shia-labeof-daniel-clowes-short-film-plagiarism/

As if The Natural needed a reason for the one person he hates.

Thanks for this. What a twat.

The Natural:  What have I been saying for all these years?  You can't trust that guy!

Heenan and Hogan, Natural and LeBeouf.  :)

One of my favourite posts in all the years I've posted here. Brilliant. I'll like it when I have them again.

• Like 2

Have we talked about Stoker yet? Because that was a pretty dark and entertaining little tour-de-force? I mean, who knew Mia Wasikowska had that kind of performance in her? Great music, like getting Philip Glass to write a piano duet for the movie that plays like a fight between two characters and turns into a love scene?! And the best credits I've seen this year! Really loved this, did anyone else see it?

Yes. Loved it. Was a bitch trying to find it in a cinema though. 12 screens in a multiplex and they can't fit it in?

I liked STOKER. Just the right mix of creepy and ridiculous. I'm interested to see what else Park Chan-Wook can do in Hollywood.

It's worth mentioning that the script was written by Wentworth Miller, who was Michael Scofield on Prison Break.

I saw that!  Truly bizarre.

For Fat Spanish Waiter:

http://vimeo.com/53749151

Sadly, the post-sketch standup bit isn't on there where they continue:

ETHAN FROME, BOYEEE...THAT IS MY SHIT..

You Don't MESS with me until you're down with HUSBANDS AND WIVES...THAT IS THE JAM!!!

Note: When I first saw the "ALL THINGS TOLKIEN" thread, I swear..based on board preferences I thought it said "ALL THINGS TAKEN" and was only surprised it wasn't more pages long.

• Like 2

Phil Spector: Yeah, the main issue is that this whole movie is basically an argument for the innocence of a guy who was pretty clearly guilty. The idea we should think Spector got a raw deal because he was famous, despite the fact he could spend millions more on his defense than any poor person ever could, is kinda laughable. Mamet seemed to go into this whole thing with a fairly elitist, snobby attitude.

Pacino is...good, I guess? Sometimes he seems to verge on parody. Mirren is probably the best thing in it. Also, George Bluth Sr.