DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I have PCO vs. Brody King queued up for when my friend comes over later this evening. We thought their BOLA match was so god damned awful it was brilliant. Hoping for more of the same here tonight.

It's bananas, the whole show is good in a strange way, the MJF flag match is worth a watch also.

I've watched the last half of it and enjoyed it because Puma King is the best. Court is ahead of the curve leaning into the lucha libre scene both because of all the talent there* and it helps differentiate MLW from the rest/tap into the Latino American fanbase (though does CMLL have much of a following in Florida like it does in Cali and Texas?). Teddy Hart and luchadores? Yes, please. The lighting/production still strike me as amateurish and the crowd reactions are generally either terrible or they're mic'd very poorly, but the big decisions MLW make are really smart and probably what I'd be doing in their position.

*Seriously, how has WWE not signed Rooosh yet? Good on MLW for getting him up in the States. He has IT, whatever IT may be, more than any of the WWE talent. Only guy I think is in that ballpark is Matt Riddle but I'd take Rush over Riddle despite my love for the latter. Does he not want to leave CMLL? Wellness Policy? Andrade telling him not to come?

Teddy casually strolling into the ladder match recently and just destroying that one dude was so great. He was a shining beacon of fun in an otherwise dreadful match, even though I really like what I've seen from El Hijo de LA Park elsewhere.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

*Seriously, how has WWE not signed Rooosh yet? Good on MLW for getting him up in the States. He has IT, whatever IT may be, more than any of the WWE talent. Only guy I think is in that ballpark is Matt Riddle but I'd take Rush over Riddle despite my love for the latter. Does he not want to leave CMLL? Wellness Policy? Andrade telling him not to come?

Apparently it's that one, but with all the usual grains of salt.

I think the fact that only Rey Mysterio has made it in WWE doesn't help either. Sure, Del Rio and Caristico did lots of stupid things (at least from what we have heard), but I'm not sure if thats how wrestlers in Mexico think about it.

Andrade, before going to WWE, felt like he had hit certain ceiling that he wouldn't be able to move past so I kinda get him moving to WWE even if his work there has been largely forgettable outside of few great months that he had before finishing things in NXT. Rush on the other hand looks like top guy who has lots of things going for him. If Rush/La Park can actually happen then he'd be fool to go to WWE before that happens. And I guess that CMLL ain't opening their pockets for Park's mask if Rush won't sign some multi-year deal.

Dr. Lucha had an interesting thought of Rush beating Park and then Atlantis beating Rush in his retirement match for those lovely locks. I believe that's how he laid it out but everybody knows how difficult it is for all three parties to agree to these types of matches.

But I agree with you. Rush should be in no hurry but if I were wwe I'd be backing up the Brinks truck for that guy. Have somebody translate his promos like in boxing or MMA. Make it part of his gimmick that he's above learning English or some such BS. He's the complete package. Great talker, great look (bacne aside), and great brawler.

Edit: Brian Cage has now pulled out of ECCW's big show, making him the third indie guest star to do so after Bandido and PCO did. I wonder if it's for the same reason? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Archibald said:

I think the fact that only Rey Mysterio has made it in WWE doesn't help either. Sure, Del Rio and Caristico did lots of stupid things (at least from what we have heard), but I'm not sure if thats how wrestlers in Mexico think about it.

And then there's Eddie, who's a better comparison for Andrade. And it's not like he didn't have to wade through a lot of crap before he, you know, beat Brock for the World Title.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Edit: Brian Cage has now pulled out of ECCW's big show, making him the third indie guest star to do so after Bandido and PCO did. I wonder if it's for the same reason? 

Brody King, PCO, Bandido, Mark Haskins, and possibly Brian Cage goes above and beyond replacing the Bucks, Cody, and Adam Page.  Adam Page was honestly the biggest loss for ROH. There was nothing left for Cody and the Bucks to do.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

You may say that as a fan but ROH's drawing power is probably halved if not more by the loss of The Elite. No way does ROH do 3K with those guys, and I really like Bandido and Cage.

They still have Marty for however long. I honestly think he was/is the most over of them at this point.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's definitely the fan inside of you talking now.

Maybe, but the reactions for the Bucks and Cody haven't seemed to be as loud as they used to be. Yes, I suppose that's mostly because of them leaving being well known for a while.

Yeah, The Bucks had those ridiculous line-ups at the meet & greets. Marty's over for sure but he's probably closer to Page in popularity than Cody or The Bucks.

Um, Low Ki vs. Konnan was hilarious. Low Ki killed a man and there were like three people booing. What the fuck?

Teddy vs. Penta next week!

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Just announced that Necro Butcher will be at Joey Janela Spring Break 3.  Given the last picture we saw of Necro that will be something.   ]

Hey wait a minute,  Onita and Necro Butcher on the same fucking show.   ?  ? 

I will buy an overpriced ticket from Stubhub if those two are in the same match. 

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, The Bucks had those ridiculous line-ups at the meet & greets. Marty's over for sure but he's probably closer to Page in popularity than Cody or The Bucks.

Um, Low Ki vs. Konnan was hilarious. Low Ki killed a man and there were like three people booing. What the fuck?

Teddy vs. Penta next week!

Could you imagine how Striker would have reacted to that closing angle if he was on color instead of Rich? 

Teddy vs. Penta next week should be really fun with no selling and crazy, crazy spots. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe, but the reactions for the Bucks and Cody haven't seemed to be as loud as they used to be. Yes, I suppose that's mostly because of them leaving being well known for a while.

"Woop woop" is more over than Marty will ever be.

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

As it turns out, WWE faces are not the only ones that are assholes. There's an attempted Homicide (a nod to Low-Ki's notorious friend) and only Tom Lawlor comes to Konnan's aid after the match is officially over. Basically everybody in MLW minus Filthy Tom is guilty of breaking the good samaritan law. Despite what we're led to believe, Penta wasn't laid out by Promociones Dorado. It's going to turn out he was attacked by Teddy Hart and Brian Pillman, Jr.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Isn't he still with Impact?

12 hours ago, Godfrey said:

And then there's Eddie, who's a better comparison for Andrade. And it's not like he didn't have to wade through a lot of crap before he, you know, beat Brock for the World Title.

Yeah, completely forgot about Eddie.

If it were a problem with Impact, they probably wouldn't have allowed him to take the booking in the first place. Although the chance that something got mixed up and they cancelled it so late in the day isn't out of the realm of possibility either.