DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Everything I've seen makes that game's story look Weapons-Grade Stupid, but if you're into it for Choose Your Own Adventures and can get down with "HARK, A ROBOT RACIST" Campiness then you oughta be fine. Is worth nothing there's a pretty fukin brutal sounding torture sequence so if that's an Auto DQ for you like it is for me, there's your warning.

Was trying to stay away from reviews etc as certain sections of gaming journalism group-think seemed to have it in for the game from day one. I heard the rumblings about the parallels with the civil rights movement and didn't get the uproar, even if it was executed in a rather ham-fisted fashion at least it's sparking debate. The uproar was probably from the same people upset when the PAX trailer was released and it's for reasons like this why I think games will never be taken seriously as an artform because people don't seem to like them asking tough questions or broaching emotive subjects.

As for the torture sequence, yeeeeah that might actually be enough to put me off. The one in GTA V left a sour taste in my mouth as tongue-in-cheek as it was. When faced with multiple choice I have a hard time making a decision I wouldn't make in real life so being an 'active' participant in torture doesn't appeal. This type of thing was why I appreciated Spec Ops The Line so much

The writing is pretty hamfisted but overall I think it's worth playing. It's been a super interesting game to observe chat reaction to on Twitch, if nothing else. Just don't expect subtlety and the game won't disappoint. The voice acting is generally really on point and obviously, visually it's stunning.

Is it a better narrative driven game than Tales From the Boderlands? No. But goddamn, it's gorgeous.

I've finally been going back through Fallout New Vegas, and I'm not sure what it is I missed about it the first time, but this is fun. Of course, I kludged the game with a "perk every level" mod, and I'm pretending that only taking Intense Training on odd levels makes me less of a dink for doing so. But man, it's fun. Deffo harder than 3, which I like. But it still feels like it punishes exploring, which I don't like. Then again, 4 did much the same thing.

I think I'm going to try either independent or House this time, having done enough of the NCR stuff already to be in good with them. Doing Indy sounds right, but if killing House is a negative karma event, it makes me wonder. 

6 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Everything I've seen makes that game's story look Weapons-Grade Stupid, but if you're into it for Choose Your Own Adventures and can get down with "HARK, A ROBOT RACIST" Campiness then you oughta be fine. Is worth nothing there's a pretty fukin brutal sounding torture sequence so if that's an Auto DQ for you like it is for me, there's your warning.

Everything Detroit:  Become Human wanted to teach me I already learned from Blade Runner 2049.

So I haven't played an NBA game since the n64 days.  I've gotten my basketball fix from College Hoops 2K and the March Madness games.  I'm wanting to pick up a couple NBA games, probably for last gen systems (original Xbox?).  What are the best franchises to check out from the past 10-15 years?  NBA Live and NBA 2K?  Anything else I should be looking at.

7 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

So I haven't played an NBA game since the n64 days.  I've gotten my basketball fix from College Hoops 2K and the March Madness games.  I'm wanting to pick up a couple NBA games, probably for last gen systems (original Xbox?).  What are the best franchises to check out from the past 10-15 years?  NBA Live and NBA 2K?  Anything else I should be looking at.

Stick with 2K, Live has been pretty bad for a while.  NBA 2K8 on the OXbox still gets some play in my house so that's my recommendation.  The NBA Streets games are also pretty fun in an arcadey kind of way.

ETA: The ESPN NBA games, which are the forerunners of the 2K games, are also good and worth playing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

2K is the answer. Live is bad. 2K7 was the last game that I played before 2K18, and it was an excellent game of basketball, but you'd probably want to pick up 2K17 or whatever was the last 360 release. 

NBA Street vol 2. is my favorite arcade sports basketball game of the last couple of gens. 

I know that you didn't ask about non-NBA games, but College Hoops 2K8 is the GOAT sim basektball game. It's so good. The recruiting is excellent, the training is engaging, and the basketball is excellent. Bonus: You can download each year's graduates in your Legacy mode and upload them into NBA 2K8. I can't tell you how many hours I've lost on that game. 

The NBA Jam remake that came out last gen (which was the 360/PS3 gen, original Xbox was two generations ago) was pretty fun but MAN I suck at NBA Jam now.  I've never felt like I've lost all of my skill at a video game until that point.  I wasn't any good to begin with but now?  Holy shit.  It goes for the original too.  I played at a retro arcade and got smoked.  Thanks for nothing Beastie Boys.

I have no idea if it came out as a physical release and how screwed you would be being able to buy it as a download now though.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I know that you didn't ask about non-NBA games, but College Hoops 2K8 is the GOAT sim basektball game. It's so good. The recruiting is excellent, the training is engaging, and the basketball is excellent. Bonus: You can download each year's graduates in your Legacy mode and upload them into NBA 2K8. I can't tell you how many hours I've lost on that game. 

I hate the NCAA with all my heart for multiple reasons, but not having a current NCAA football videogame is really high on the list.  Except we can't have one because a court decided that they have to pay the players for using their likeness, and a billion dollar business thinks that's too much to ask.

I don't hate the NCAA, but, yeah, I agree.

... or at least I would if I weren't a devoted retro gamer.  My most recent gaming console is the original Xbox. so a current gen NCAA game I'd have no plans to play wouldn't be of much value to me.

So it took me 33 hours across 2 weeks but i beat Dark Souls: Remastered. For a mostly blind play through i'm pretty happy with that. I'd previously played through the first few areas ages ago, and i had to google how to access the DLC (because why would that be straight forward!) but other than that, it was just good old fashioned exploring. I'm sure i missed a whole bunch of quests and after looking it up post game i missed 2 optional bosses but other than that, it was a good playthrough.

Having already beat Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 multiple times, and Dark Souls 2 once, i actually found the combat fairly easy to get into (by Dark Souls standards). It's a lot slower than BB and DS3 giving you a lot more thinking time. There were a few bosses that i thought where a little unfair or badly designed (i'm looking at you Bed of Chaos) but on the whole the main game bosses and combat was easy to step back into after spending so many hours in the other games. The DLC on the other hand was suitably brutal as all FromSoft DLC seems to be. The final 2 bosses kicked my ass for a good long while before finally going down. On the whole, i'd say it's got the easiest combat of the series but the hardest world. If that makes sense? The later games tend to hold your hand a little more and aim you in the right directing. This one has so many different ways to go, so many different types of upgrade materiel and items that playing the game itself is a lot harder than the later games.

The remaster it's self? i know it's getting some hate because of how similar it is to the original but it's a remaster not a remake. It's just a prettier looking version of the original with a higher, stable, frame rate. 

• Like 1

Just realized there was a wrestling game for the original Xbox called The Wild Rings.  I.... think I knew that, but it's been so long since I've heard of it that I forgot.  Anyone play it?  I googled the game, but reviews and info seem a bit scarce.  I'm guessing not good?

Did the Xbox have a good wrestling game?  Other than the Def Jam game?  There were a couple WWE titles but neither one appears to be particularly good.

Got my 110th Platinum with Quantum of Solace for PS3. Fun game although the last mission on 007 difficulty was unnecessary difficult. The servers for the game have been shutdown, so it will be impossible to Platinum now. Thankfully, I boosted this game in 2016 and 2 WEEKS LATER, the servers stopped working. One of the guys we boosted with didn't get all of the trophies because he kept disappearing to smoke (dumbass).

• Like 1

XBOX really didn't have a good wrestling title, no. In fact I'd claim that Wrestlemania 21 may be one of the most broken XBOX releases and should be avoided even by hardcore wrestling fans. It's not even bad in funny ways, it's bad in cheap ways (we got voiceover from some of the lower card guys but basically none of the top guys), and also more importantly "broken in bad technical ways", as in the way the game loads files is so fucking busted that your physical drive will noticeably make four times more noise while trying to load things in game than literally any other XBOX title. Freezes, crashes, etc. Avoid with extreme prejudice.

Raw 2 is great...if you have four people to play with. The AI is broken and gets stuck in loops, tables don't break easily (a bitch in a tables match), and the animations are garbage.

However, four-player season mode is one of the most fun multiplayer experiences ever. Jumping each other backstage, dropping safes on one another to drain stamina before the night's matches, shifting alliances between everyone as you try to win as many titles as possible... it's amazing.

No one has tried a multiplayer season mode like that since, and that is a real shame. It makes the jank of the game worth putting up with.

Finally hooked up Xbone to my TV. Liked that the first thing it did was notice it was 4K and ask if I wanted to run in that mode.

Currently 20 minutes into updates since the last time I turned it on (which JT said was 5 months). 

Y'know, when I started putting more time into gaming (read: more than a couple hours a year, enough to actually finish games), I thought I'd play puzzle games, SimCity, all the SquareSoft/Square Enix rpg's I've never had time to finish, etc.  Y'know, intelligent games.  

So I'm a little appalled to discover that a large part of what I want out of my gaming experience is a pretty game that has a samurai (or maybe a ninja) killing demons with a really sharp sword.  Playing a bunch of "extreme combat" adventure games which generally aren't great games, but scratch that itch for me.  Bujingai, Blood Will Tell, and Genki are some of my favorite PS2 games from that decade.  Also really enjoying God Hand right now, which is an extremely silly beat'em-up.  Bujingai and Genki especially look great for the PS2.

A copy of Ninja Gaiden Black showed up in the mail today, so says the wife.  Looking forward to diving into that tonight.