DVDVR Message Board

On 9/13/2020 at 11:22 PM, Tabe said:

What's weird about that is his baseball books are totally not that. They are absolutely top class books. 

Which ones do you recommend? I didn't realize he wrote baseball books and the time period he focuses on is my main area of interest. 

14 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Which ones do you recommend? I didn't realize he wrote baseball books and the time period he focuses on is my main area of interest. 

War on the Basepaths (Ty Cobb) and Fall from Grace (Joe Jackson) for sure.  They are the best bios of both subjects.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally someone has juxtaposed the early history of the world wrestling championship with Little House on the Prairie, and you can read about it in WCBA #9! There's also some Star Wars, some Transformers, the greatest wrestling movie never seen, and the story of W*ING hits monster town! All this AND part 1 of a look at the career of "The Prince of Darkness" Kevin Sullivan!

44 pages, black & white, 10pt Trebuchet MS

You can get a copy posted to your house by sending £3.50 (£4.50 for anywhere outside the UK) through PayPal to [email protected] Please tick the "sending to a friend or family" box and put your address in the notes so I know where to send it to! Alternatively, you can use the webstore at wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com, but it costs an extra 50p! I also do PDF copies for £1 each!

wcba9.png.c787828f00db3be151578bb946c0ef

About halfway thru the Young Bucks book. So far it's pretty wholesome and heartfelt in a way that a lot of wrestler bios are not. These guys are definitely not cynics and one of the takeaways is how much their early years in SoCal and the people they worked with in those early years led to what's happening today. 

Anyway, enjoying it. 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Hagan said:

About halfway thru the Young Bucks book. So far it's pretty wholesome and heartfelt in a way that a lot of wrestler bios are not. 

Does that mean they are keeping their politics out of it? 

They are pretty open about how their faith is important to them and their family but nothing like "non-believers shall burn in Hell" so ymmv on whether anyone mentioning Christianity is annoying. 

Nothing political obviously.

You really get a sense of the camaraderie that was built up in the independent scene and how everyone rooted for and supported each other. Now, I'm sure this is a little Pollyanna-ish but so many bios of 80s and 90s stars boil down "had to carry a gun lest the boys and promoter screwed me" and "90 percent of my friends died of overdoses" so it's nice to see a positive portrayal of the business. 

• Like 4