DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

On 7/4/2017 at 11:19 AM, hammerva said:

The Fox apple doesn't fall far from the tree I see.   

Only a day or so later, Charles Payne got suspended on the Fox Business side for sexual harrassment claims. Payne, who is basically a younger version of Larry Elder and Allen West, has appeared several times on Fox News programs. Call me crazy but I don't see a ton of black people running to his defense on this one.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Only a day or so later, Charles Payne got suspended on the Fox Business side for sexual harrassment claims. Payne, who is basically a younger version of Larry Elder and Allen West, has appeared several times on Fox News programs. Call me crazy but I don't see a ton of black people running to his defense on this one.

Umm...I'd like to introduce you to Bill Cosby.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Payne isn't Bill Cosby. 

Yeah, I get it. . . but if I hear one more conspiracy theory about how Bill Cosby is getting accused of 50+ rapes to keep the black man down, I'm going to kill a choke someone.  Bill Cosby is next to O.J. on the list of black people who never had anything good to say about another black person until they did something heinous. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, I get it. . . but if I hear one more conspiracy theory about how Bill Cosby is getting accused of 50+ rapes to keep the black man down, I'm going to kill a choke someone.  Bill Cosby is next to O.J. on the list of black people who never had anything good to say about another black person until they did something heinous. 

I just tried my hardest not to call Charles Payne a jughead Uncle Tom, and now you want to draw me into a 5 page long debate about OJ and Bill Cosby. DAMN YOU, SUPREME!

I am going to say this and allow this thread to go back to normalcy: If this accuser from the case they just declared a mistrial (and being tried again on 11/6) is the best from the ones that aren't past the statutes of limitations, Bill Cosby is going to live the short remainder of his life a free man. Gotta keep your story together, folks. Oh boy.

Hey guys, I'm of the opinion that the Sports Media thread is not the place on this board to discuss race relations or the Bill Cosby trials.   

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I really like Katie Nolan and I enjoyed Garbage Time. I kinda wonder where she'd fit at ESPN, though.

On 7/9/2017 at 4:12 PM, RIPPA said:

Because of the posts right before that - I read that as Kanye and was so fucking confused

I would watch Kanye host a sports variety show.

19 hours ago, Sasha said:

I really like Katie Nolan and I enjoyed Garbage Time. I kinda wonder where she'd fit at ESPN, though.

I've seen speculation/rumors they are looking at her to co-host Mike Greenberg's new show (which debuts in early January 2018).  Seems like it'd be a good fit.

Mark Schlereth has left ESPN to join FS1

The awkward part is that Schlereth was close with Jamie Horowitz and it appears the deal was done before Horowitz was shitcanned

Ooops

46 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I've seen speculation/rumors they are looking at her to co-host Mike Greenberg's new show (which debuts in early January 2018).  Seems like it'd be a good fit.

I was going to suggest that as a joke. 

• Like 1

The fact Garbage Time won an Emmy is an indictment on the people who vote for those things. I watched like 5 minutes of it until I couldn't take the awfulness and changed the channel. It was about as funny as dead pets or pediatric cancer.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

The fact Garbage Time won an Emmy is an indictment on the people who vote for those things. I watched like 5 minutes of it until I couldn't take the awfulness and changed the channel. It was about as funny as dead pets or pediatric cancer.

I dunno. I did enjoy the Duke and Cornbread sketches on In Living Color back in the day so this is where we part on the matter.

On 7/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ken Rosenthal has been reduced to posting his columns on Facebook because FoxSports.com is now all video content. 

Don Banks was in the same boat for a while recently, but he's posting his stuff on Patriots.com now.

ESPN announced that Mike Golic will do a radio show with Trey Wingo after Mike and Mike ends

Mike and Mike ends Nov 17

The Golic/Wingo show will start Nov 27

Wasn't that already common knowledge?  I read it somewhere.  Also, Trey has been guest-hosting for Greenie an awful lot lately.

Did they announce timeslot.  What I remember hearing is that it'd be the same 6 AM timeslot as Mike and Mike, simulcast on ESPNU.

I'll miss the show quite a bit.  Still enjoy the interplay between the Mikes quite a bit.  I'll check out each show, but I don't have a strong desire to watch either guy separately.  Like Wingo well enough, but Golic/Wingo/Golic Jr. probably won't be appointment viewing for me.

Greenie's fine on his own, but I find him sort of generic as a solo host.  Golic tends to have more interesting opinions because they come from a fairly unique viewpoint of a football journeyman who grew up with the "old school mentality",  Golic's casually admitted to steroid use and generally thinks fighting in the huddle or throwing baseballs at a guy's head because he showed you up are acceptable (he played for Buddy Ryan, remember).  Greenie tends to espouse the typical opinions of a sports talking head, unless the topic is cleanliness or one of his various neuroses.

• Like 1