Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
RIPPA

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

Recommended Posts

RIPPA    18,372

Finally have something to start a new year and new thread off with

Quote

SI.com has learned via multiple sources that ESPN executives are moving forward with the plan to shift Mike Greenberg—one half of the long-running Mike & Mike radio show on ESPN Radio—into a new role as the lead host of a television show that would air in the mornings on ESPN. The new show will have elements of SportsCenter—which currently airs at that time—as well as a traditional morning show. It is expected to be based in New York City. The new program would put an end to end to Greenberg’s on-air partnership with Mike Golic, which began in October 1998. Mike & Mike currently airs weekdays on ESPN Radio from 6–10 a.m. ET and is simulcast on ESPN2.

Breaking up the Mikes means ESPN has a large radio slot to fill; Mike & Mike has been a revenue-driver for the division for a decade-plus. It’s also the signature show for ESPN in many radio markets across the country. The leading in-house candidate to emerge as a replacement is Trey Wingo, who has experience on ESPN Radio and is one of the network’s signature NFL hosts. Wingo is the expected replacement for Chris Berman on ESPN's coverage of the opening night of the NFL draft. [Update: It is unclear whether Mike Golic would stay as part of a new show. Mike Golic Jr., who already works for ESPN Radio, could be part of a new show in some role if his father stayed on with a new partner.] There is no timeframe yet for the end of Mike & Mike or the beginning of the new program, but sources said to expect the transition to take place sooner than later.

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/01/12/mike-and-mike-greenberg-espn-radio-sportscenter-am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boo.  I don't listen to/watch the Mikes every morning any more, but I generally catch the radio broadcast while I get ready for work or put ESPN2 on at the office at least a few times a week.  I've been catching the show since.... 1999-ish, so I'm legit sad about this.  Also, I'm wondering where Golic goes from here.  Not sure he'll be much in demand as a solo act, so I can see this being the end of him on the airwaves (granted, I expect he has a nice-sized pile of cash to console him, but still...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan    2,495

He'll groom his son to replace him then ride off.....to Greenberg's show in 2 years to be his new wingman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about it, I realized I've been listening to the show for 17+ years - and, not once do I remember thinking to myself "Y'know what?  Greenie needs his own show.  Golic is holding him back."

Kinda curious to see how this works out.  I like Greenie well enough, but he doesn't strike me as a solo act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odessasteps    5,738

Presumably, they can do the father/son gimmick with the Golics. But that might be a mid afternoon kind of show not morning drive. 

I really grew to loathe that show when there was not many alternatives in a pre broadband world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brian Fowler    6,235

The Greenberg show sounds lot like Cold Pizza, which was great until it slowly morphed into First Take

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan    2,495

Greenie's a NW alum, him and Golic are probably secretly bitter enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RIPPA    18,372

Don't go anywhere Mark - since 980 didn't renew Andy Pollin's contract so he had his last day at the station yesterday just short of his 25th Anniversary

Steinberg is pretty sure this means there is no one left who was there when the station started in 1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dolfan in NYC    6,834
11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

RIP Miami Herald columnist Edwin Pope, age 88.

An absolute titan of the industry.  His writing helped get me into sports.  RIP Mr. Pope. 

pope.jpg

I'm pretty sure Shula's going soon too.  I don't know how I'm going to handle that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RIPPA    18,372

Erin Andrews reveals she was diagnosed with cervical cancer shortly the conclusion of the stalking trial last year

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/24/erin-andrews-cervical-cancer-diagnosis-hotel-stalker-civil-trial-privacy-laws-fox-dancing-stars

She had surgery and went back to work two days later

But she's just a pretty face and all that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan    2,495

Definitely tougher than I am. Also, does anyone else randomly hear the gravelly voiced guy on CBS Sports Radio? What an odd voice for radio. Scott Ferrall I believe is the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odessasteps    5,738

He's been around forever and i still have to leave the room if they have his show on in the office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan    2,495

He doesn't seem like a bad person, but I haven't heard enough of him to know if he's got a lot of stupid takes and garbage opinions. Better than the twenty minutes I heard of another CBS Sports guy the other night which was just CONSTANT love of everything the Patriots do and have ever done under Belichek. *checks who it is* Damon Amendolara, of the DA Show, he sounded like such a douchebag.

Edit: Well, no wonder, he was on Boston radio before this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdA    223

Brent Musburger is retiring.  Anyone care?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hammerva    1,725

People who love looking at the hot college women in the crowd of football games?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
supremebve    2,299
17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

4jKKY2t_50_wydime.gif

LeBron is at the point now where his resume is good enough that the only people who can question his greatness are legitimately haters.  I think he's finally realizing that the people who are with him are with him and the people who aren't with him aren't ever going to be with him.  He is kind of at the point where he can say whatever the fuck he wants and people's opinions about him aren't going to change. I don't know if any of you were watching when Shaq told Barkley to shut up, but Shaq and now LeBron are 100% in the right to do so.  Shaq, who would know this type of thing, basically told Barkley that you can't settle and hope what you have is good enough if you want to be a champion.  If you want to be the best in the world at something, you have to do everything possible to reach that level.  LeBron knows what it takes to get to that level, Shaq knows what it takes to get to that level, Charles Barkley never got to that level.  Maybe, Barkley should shut up and realize that LeBron has a better idea of what it takes to win than him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Elsalvajeloco    3,139
2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

LeBron is at the point now where his resume is good enough that the only people who can question his greatness are legitimately haters.  I think he's finally realizing that the people who are with him are with him and the people who aren't with him aren't ever going to be with him.  He is kind of at the point where he can say whatever the fuck he wants and people's opinions about him aren't going to change. I don't know if any of you were watching when Shaq told Barkley to shut up, but Shaq and now LeBron are 100% in the right to do so.  Shaq, who would know this type of thing, basically told Barkley that you can't settle and hope what you have is good enough if you want to be a champion.  If you want to be the best in the world at something, you have to do everything possible to reach that level.  LeBron knows what it takes to get to that level, Shaq knows what it takes to get to that level, Charles Barkley never got to that level.  Maybe, Barkley should shut up and realize that LeBron has a better idea of what it takes to win than him.  

I'm just tired of Barkley considering himself so being the compass for everything especially when it comes to black people. The fact that the people in Baltimore ran him up out of town gives me hope that people might know he is full of shit. He's trying to be the guide for people...like dude...didn't you solicit strange women for a blowjob while driving intoxicated? Shaq has said some questionable shit, but Charles on entirely different level when it comes to this. If it's LeBron that has to put him in his place, then I'm certainly fine with that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan    2,495

But what about his posse! *Is beaten senseless for being an idiot* I deserved that! Charles Barkley should stick to trying to fix his golf swing and losing all his money on whatever zany scheme he's obviously cooking up next to foil his invisible enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
supremebve    2,299
49 minutes ago, Ryan said:

But what about his posse! *Is beaten senseless for being an idiot* I deserved that! Charles Barkley should stick to trying to fix his golf swing and losing all his money on whatever zany scheme he's obviously cooking up next to foil his invisible enemies.

Barkley's problem is that he doesn't understand what makes him good on TV.  I think the thing that made him a beloved is that he didn't take sports as seriously as the rest of the self-serious sports personalities.  Watching him, Kenny, and Ernie talk about basketball was like watching basketball with your friends.  They were goofy, they joked around, and felt like they just loved watching basketball.  I don't know when it changed, but Barkley is now just a self-serious blowhard who constantly bashes the current product, despite the NBA being in a golden age.  It really feels like the show has run its course, and he's not enjoying it any more.  He just feels old, out of touch, and cranky as shit these days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Elsalvajeloco    3,139
22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Barkley's problem is that he doesn't understand what makes him good on TV.  I think the thing that made him a beloved is that he didn't take sports as seriously as the rest of the self-serious sports personalities.  Watching him, Kenny, and Ernie talk about basketball was like watching basketball with your friends.  They were goofy, they joked around, and felt like they just loved watching basketball.  I don't know when it changed, but Barkley is now just a self-serious blowhard who constantly bashes the current product, despite the NBA being in a golden age.  It really feels like the show has run its course, and he's not enjoying it any more.  He just feels old, out of touch, and cranky as shit these days.  

Once you become self-aware and realize the formula works, that's when you're in danger. You become either complacent and/or you believe your job is extremely secure. I think because that particular show is suppose to be humorous and sometimes brutally honest, Barkley believes that he should be brutally "honest" elsewhere. When Kenny wrote him that open letter about two years back because he said something stupid then, that's when it really felt like they were trying to keep that thing afloat in spite of Charles' stupidity. You can't be an alternative to dry ass pre and post game shows if no one supports you. In addition, these networks are not above replacing his inarticulate ass. Television is a cutthroat business.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
username    109

The funny part in all of this is that this happened to happen the time when Barkley's criticism was more than fair.  Lebron is playing with several all stars and a ridiculous payroll, hate it or not that makes it fair game to call one out when all they've said for the past bit is "but I/we need more".  There is good odds that Barkley would have said something worthy of that vitriolic of a comeback by next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brian Fowler    6,235

I saw an interesting theory on Barkley's constant downgrading of LeBron: he's scared that if people start to accept LeBron as the greatest, then Chuck will no longer have played during the era of the greatest of all-time, and it would hurt his legacy.

Which is insane, Sir Charles was fucking great and nothing will change that. But it feels plausible that he is that insecure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×