DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Being the French they had to mention that the girls were being denied their youth because they couldn't drink, have boyfriends, or (of course!) smoke. 

That was really really good. Bull's guillotine legdrop from the top of the cage is so incredible and painful to watch. And christ, Toyota was practically living in a prison cell with her cat there. The promotion being so cheap that they had no ring crew makes me amazed they even sprang for a bus; then again, I doubt the girls had cars. Did they really not get paid if they jobbed, or was that AJW working the French? 

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIHV0m29FU&ab_channel=ChicagoFilmArchivespresents"WrestlingfromChicago"

Link won't embed

Chicago Film Archive has a bunch of Fred Kohler promoted matches including this 2/3 falls NWA Heavyweight title defense. I've watched a few of these and this one is my favorite so far, it's also the shortest which probably helps. Both these guys have incredible physical charisma, they can play to the back of the room and still make it look real. When Rogers is whipped into the ropes it looks like he's careening uncontrollably across the ring and when he pops into flying head scissors it seems to come out of nowhere. And Rogers' cheap shots are brutal, these shitty hidden uppercuts that pop Thesz in the face. Thesz takes a beating but his precision is unreal at times to counter so the two are evenly matched. Might be a little slow for some but I had a ball and I think it stands the test of time

• Like 1

I think there was a Thesz/Gagne match also on the CFA account where Thesz was hitting some nasty hidden shots on Gagne by the ropes too. I'm sure almost all of it was not preserved on film but I get the sense that Lou Thesz could work like a nasty bastard if he wanted to, for all the reputation he harnessed in later years as being a pure old time champ (well, aside from his book being named Hooker)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did they really not get paid if they jobbed, or was that AJW working the French? 

Whether it was AJW working the production, or the production working their audience, that had to be horseshit...right? Native talent aside, I can't imagine the Malenkos letting Debbie continue working there if she wasn't getting paid.

On 11/19/2023 at 12:16 AM, Cobra Commander said:

I think there was a Thesz/Gagne match also on the CFA account where Thesz was hitting some nasty hidden shots on Gagne by the ropes too. I'm sure almost all of it was not preserved on film but I get the sense that Lou Thesz could work like a nasty bastard if he wanted to, for all the reputation he harnessed in later years as being a pure old time champ (well, aside from his book being named Hooker)

Slow day at work so I had a chance to check out a Thesz/Gagne and you ain't lying. Given how long "Mister Excitement" Verne worked a headlock, maybe Lou felt he had to add something to his game to make the match more interesting. He's essentially working heel even though I believe their matches were face/face for the most part

Also because CFI always lists their shoot names I refer to Thesz as Aloysius in my mind now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Florida wrestling. Take your pick between

1) Ric Flair showing amateur wrestling skills during a public workout before asking Barry Windham to join him in the ring.

naturally this being territorial wrestling, the exact same angle was run with Flair and Piper in Mid-Atlantic

Or..

2) Video proof of Gentleman Jim Holliday. An interview with Holliday, Hector Guerrero and Barbara Clary.

https://youtu.be/HkvKlL79vjY

Why yes, Hector was the Guerrero brother closest to Eddie in age (13 year age difference though). Watch as Hector and Barbara converse in Spanish! Ponder as to why Jim Holliday has a job! Actually the whole reason for Holliday was something I probably typed about on here but JJ Dillon signed an “exclusive” deal to only manage Ron Bass. Therefore the heels who would have been managed by Dillon ended up being managed by Holliday, with the implication that Holliday was just a front for Dillon.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder if Punk would accept taking that from someone like Ryback again just for the money. 

Ah ha! I knew there was a parallel figure. They could job him out to Braun Strowman (Brang Strangalang, etc.) or at least have him get beat up by him a lot. How would that check look like then, Punk? Remember your old job now? 😼

On 12/7/2023 at 4:25 AM, Cobra Commander said:

2) Video proof of Gentleman Jim Holliday. An interview with Holliday, Hector Guerrero and Barbara Clary.

Gentleman Jim looks like a mashup of Chuck Norris and Ringo Starr.