DVDVR Message Board

SURVIVOR SERIES 2016 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Hoarr said:

Vince did a make good for us WCW Guys for killing Sting!

Except this entire feud had nothing to do with WCW. This was a WWE feud from WrestleMania 20. WCW was briefly mentioned but all the video packages had more to do with his WWE run than his WCW monster run

45 minutes ago, steve said:

They killed the streak, had Lesnar squash Cena, and his aura was at an all-time high. Then they didn't pull the trigger on Reigns at Mania the one time it felt like people were kinda coming around on him. At the time, it seemed OK, because it seemed like Lesnar was so hot he was bulletproof. But it's never, ever been the same since. Brock and Heyman have both devolved in caricatures of themselves and it's been diminishing returns.

As a big Reigns fan I have to ask where do people keep puling this from? People were not coming around on him then. .

• Like 2

Except this entire feud had nothing to do with WCW. This was a WWE feud from WrestleMania 20. WCW was briefly mentioned but all the video packages had more to do with his WWE run than his WCW monster run

See, now you're using their logic. That doesn't benefit anyone. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

As a big Reigns fan I have to ask where do people keep puling this from? People were not coming around on him then. .

In the match itself, it seemed like people were getting behind him taking a beating and hanging in there with Lesnar. Not like in online sentiment or whatever, but like the actual Mania crowd wasn't exclusively booing the hell out of him.

It's not much, but it's more than he's had any other time.

• Like 1

Random Notes from Meltzer on the WON radio show

- The Lesnar/Goldberg extended deal came this week and in fact Brock was pushing for it since he saw how well it was doing (and how much money he could get from it)

- The assumption is definitely through Rumble but it can easily be longer (ie: through Mania)

- Dave said that the match wasn't short due to injury but it was booked to get Goldberg over (and obviously the finish was changed once Bill agreed to stay)

- Dave "liked the show a lot" (Hoo Boy is that gonna be fun when his ratings are known - Rippa)

- Obviously the short term is Charlotte/Bayley but they still have a lot of Sasha/Charlotte to go so Dave was surprised that she was eliminated so early

- Speaking of surprised - Dave couldn't understand how they had Nia Jax tap out instead of losing like via countout. He "completely disagreed with it"

- Ooof - Dave thought the show never dragged. And then literally 10 seconds later says "It is hard to not have a 52 minute match that doesn't dragged and parts of it did". My head hurts

- The theme clearly is Dave being surprised by everything (newest one was Dave being surprised that New Day lost so quickly). So clearly "surprise" = "super"

- Shane was legit hurt. Dave was told that "Shane appears to be ok". Folks that Dave talked to backstage said that they were most upset about they way Shane was treated for his injury. (Basically dragging him away)

- It appears he suffered a concussion but no one has confirmed that yet.

- Alvarez and Meltzer are both convinced that Braun would have pretty much crippled anyone other than AJ with that crazy ass toss outside the ring

- Jumping back to Nia Jax - they figure the reason they didn't have her lose via countout is because they were doing it with Braun (of course ignore that Naomi got counted out AND she could have gotten eliminated via DQ (of course KO needed to be DQed for stupid reasons) - Rippa)

- Dave "I think it went a few minutes too long but I thought it was exciting most of the way" :rolleyes:

- One upside of the Goldberg/Brock finish is that it will help to start training the crowd again that matches can end quickly and get back into early nearfalls

• Like 2

I think in general people need to get over the "Brock Ended the Streak" thing. It was just a match they did to get people talking and maybe to get some pressure off of Undertaker so he didn't feel like he had to put on an epic every year. The "the streak will end to put over a young star" thing was a made up narrative from fans, there was never a real indication that WWE was going to do that. Taker had wanted to lose the streak to Brock since Brock is a legitimate badass, it wasn't meant to be a multi-year storyline. Goldberg beating Lesnar doesn't do anything to impact a match result from two years ago, WWE doesn't know what they are doing on RAW tonight, they don't plan storylines that far in advance.

I can understand not liking the result, but tying it back to Lesnar beating Taker just seems like a real stretch of a reason.

• Like 1

I think the bigger issue that I am seeing people have is that yet again it is a part-time star of yesteryear being put over instead of "creating a new star"

Of course - then you get into the whole "WWE's inability to create new stars" thing

• Like 2

Also my cynical mind totally believes that they did the main event so that would be the only thing people talk about and not focus on the cluster that was the rest of the show

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Random Notes from Meltzer on the WON radio show

- The Lesnar/Goldberg extended deal came this week and in fact Brock was pushing for it since he saw how well it was doing (and how much money he could get from it)

This is the new backstage politicking. Everything we know about Brock says he is more than happy to lose, so all he has to do is come in, take a few moves and leave. He gets paid the same and barely breaks a sweat. It's like 2003 HHH in a mirror.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Summerslam 13 - Beat Kane (Ring of Fire Match)

Battleground 13 - Beat Kofi Kingston

TLC 13 - Wyatts beat Daniel Bryan (Handicap Match)

Royal Rumble 14 - beat Daniel Bryan

Elimination Chamber 14 - Wyatts beat Shield

Mania XXX - Lost to John Cena

Extreme Rules 14 - beat John Cena (Cage Match)

Payback 14 - Lost to John Cena (Last Man Standing)

MITB 14 - Participated in MITB (won by Cena for Title)

Battleground 14 - lost to Chris Jericho

Summerslam 14 - Beat Chris Jericho

Survivor Series 14 - beat Dean Ambrose

TLC 14 - beat Dean Ambrose

Royal Rumble 15 - Participated in Rumble (won by Reigns)

Mania 15 - lost to Undertaker

Payback 15 - beat Ryback

Battleground 15 - beat Roman Reigns

Summerslam 15 - w/Harper lost to Reigns/Ambrose

Night of Champions 15 - Wyatts beat Reigns/Ambrose/Jericho

Hell in a Cell 15 - Lost to Roman Reigns (HITC Match)

Survivor Series 15 - w/ Luke Harper lost to Taker/Kane

TLC 15 - Wyatts beat ECW Folks (Elimination Tables Match)

Royal Rumble 16 - Participated in Rumble (won by HHH)

Roadblock 16 - w/Luke Harper lost to Brock Lesnar (Bray never actually participated in the match)

Battleground 16 - Wyatts beat New Day

Backlash 16 - lost to Kane (No DQ)

No Mercy 16 - beat Randy Orton

Survivor Series 16 - Survived with Randy Orton

Bray Wyatt PPV Matches

Man - too bad he never wins the "big one"

Lesnar/Goldberg: Y'know what? I didn't hate it. Was anybody actually looking forward to a 10+ minute match between those two? I certainly was not. Doing it this was was a huge shocker (in a good way, IMO) and definitely has people talking. If Goldberg is done, fine and even better. But signs are he's signed for at least the Rumble. Meh. But the way this match went down and how Lesnar was beat possibly sets up a fresher Lesnar. One with more fire and direction. Something a bit more interesting than just the God Damn Suplex City bullshit he's relied on for two years.

I did actually enjoy the Men's Survivor Series match, but the rest of the show up to that point I thought was pretty bland and was mired by bad booking decisions in almost all of the matches in how most were eliminated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zev said:

Where's Bas Rutten to talk about how liver shots are the way to beat him?

FIXED~!

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

- Jumping back to Nia Jax - they figure the reason they didn't have her lose via countout is because they were doing it with Braun.

These are the same folks that have booked PPVs with two or three wins in a row by run-in fuckery or roll up.  NOW they are concerned with match variety??

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Brock killing Rusev tonight feels right.

The Nia elimination made zero sense.  I didn't hate it in a vacuum, but it doesn't work if you're trying to build her to be a monster heel.

Nothing they've done lately with Nia makes sense.  Her spots are all hurty and good, but she's been in the ring with people like Alicia Fox that you'd actually like to see beaten to a pulp.  That's not how you build up a monster heel.

Pro:

-Goldberg didn't embarrass himself.

-WWE created a new mania main eventer.

Con:

-WWE building up another old part timer as a bigger threat and bigger deal than the rest of the roster.

-If I'm not mistaken Goldberg hasn't taken a bump yet. There are only so many bells and whistles you can use when a guy can't go.

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The Nia elimination made zero sense.  I didn't hate it in a vacuum, but it doesn't work if you're trying to build her to be a monster heel.

Most of the women eliminations made no sense

They give Carmella all those wins over Nikki Bella and then have her be the first eliminated by Alicia Fox????

Naomi is the one "protected" by the countout spot?

Sasha loses clean to Nattie - who is a last minute replacement - and apparently is still challenging Charlotte

Okay - clearly you are building Nattie up... oh wait she immediately had her faced kicked off by Charlotte

And then Nia tapping

It would've made sense if they were trying to protect the champions and #1 contenders from each show but oh wait, Alexa Bliss got punted to the moon by Charlotte and Lynch got pinned by Bayley so the RAW champ didn't even pin the Smackdown champ in a one on one final.

Just now, J.T. said:

It would've made sense if they were trying to protect champions and #1 contenders but oh wait, Alexa Bliss got punted to the moon by Charlotte and Lynch got pinned by Bayley so the RAW champ didn't even pin the Smackdown champ.

At least with the latter - it was the Smackdown champ who was at a man disadvantage AND she was beaten by the apparent #1 RAW contender.

Plus - she had the RAW champ beat except for two different saves - Dana pushing the ropes to break up the disarmer and then Bayley breaking up the pinfall (that came late but that is a different story).

So Becky's was fine

And Charlotte switching to a Yakuza Kick instead of the Figure 8 is not getting complaints from me.

• Like 1

I suppose that makes sense, but it would've been nice to see Charlotte and Becky square off for five or ten minutes or so champ vs. champ. 

We're not going to get the opportunity to see that kind of match-up again for a whole 'nother year unless WWE suddenly decides in mid stream to once again shitcan the separate feds idea.

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

We're not going to get the opportunity to see that kind of match-up again for a whole 'nother year unless WWE suddenly decides in mid stream to once again shitcan the separate feds idea.

Or January....

• Like 1