DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - WILDCARD / DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Do you realize how many teams with much better records and talent than the Giants were crushed in the playoffs by them.  The Cubs should win but they had a much easier road against the Mets than Giants

Unless they can pitch fucking Mad Bum 3 times I don't see it.

4 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

They can pitch Cueto, who has been better then Mad Bum this year, twice.

Mad Bum is the Billy Smith of pitchers: a guaranteed win when the money is on the line. I wish we had faced Cueto because he's actually beatable in the postseason.

I'm kinda cooling down to be able to be proud of how far we went and how this season far surpassesd any reasonable expectations given everything that happened to us. But this fucking hurt. This was up there with Pendalton, Soscia and Molina in the all time kicks in the gut in Mets history.

The big thing to keep in mind that, in theory, play to the Cubs.

No.1 The Giants are very much a "put it in play and good things happen" team. The Cubs are kinda a nightmare for them, because they have the best defense in baseball by a wide margin, and live for that shit. The Cubs fear power. The Giants are the only team in baseball without a 20 homer hitter.

No.2 The Cubs bullpen is very very good. The Giants bullpen set the record for most broken saves in a season by a playoff team.

No.3 Games 2 and 4 lean heavily toward the Cubs starting pitching wise.

Course, it's playoffs, and 5 game series exist to eliminate great teams off short term sample sizes.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Familia is the Kenny Rogers of relievers. Softer than toilet paper with the money on the line. Only positive is the Cubs should crush SF like a tin can.

Kenny 2006 - completely untouchable. 

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

Familia is the Kenny Rogers of relievers. Softer than toilet paper with the money on the line. Only positive is the Cubs should crush SF like a tin can.

tumblr_nbj2ylrySu1qzmdhzo1_500.gif

Joe West's comprehensive collection of incriminating photos of top MLB officials has once again earned him a spot in the postseason, as he is part of the 6 man ALDS crew.

Because if the Jays and Rangers are going to have a wrestlingesque grudge match, you might as well have baseball's version of the Rudo Referee there too.

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Someone's gonna die during the Jays/Rangers series, yes?

It's hilarious that Texas, the softest team in baseball, talked nothing but shit when they thought they didn't have to play the Jays again this year but now suddenly have nothing to say.

I don't really expect too much, if only because I don't think the Jays can actually afford to have any pitchers thrown out. Especially if Osuna is hurt.

I didn't want the Giants in the NLDS.

Fun fact, Mets hitters, specifically Cespedes, can't stand up to heaters. Madbum exploited that and threw a ton of heat.

You know who else has trouble with that?

The Cubs.

Whatever. Go out and do your thing.

I thought that maybe the Rangers would have a slim chance against the O's, but not against the Jays. The Rangers have been a massively lucky team all season. A +8 run differential, tons of 1 run games, etc. The team is nowhere near as good as their record and a team like the Jays is the perfect team to exploit that. That said, I did not envision the beating that the Jays would put on the Rangers.

Game 1 of Cleveland/Boston was certainly intense. So many stranded runners. Boston has to be kicking themselves.