DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

My wife hasn't read the books. I have. 

We watched the show tonight and she just lost it at the end. Full on, tear-soaked meltdown. "Fuck this show I am never watching it again" she screamed. 

I asked was it because of Tyrion and she screamed out "Sansa is in all black and a whore, Arya is 50 ft away and won't get in, Jon Snow is stuck at the wall and Oberyn is dead. Fuck this show!"

I went to the kitchen and poured her a glass of wine. Hopefully it calms her down. 

• Like 4

I was getting nervous as the episode went on, worrying there wouldn't be enough time to do the fight justice. When the fight actually arrived, it was pretty much pitch-perfect and I realized they could never have stretched it out longer than they gave it. There was no way to sustain the momentum. Our watch party FREAKED THE FUCK OUT generally when Clegane got up and stuck his thumbs in Oberyn's eyes, it was pretty great. (figure 35 people, 10 of whom had read the books) People were asking thereafter "what happens in a draw?", so I'm not sure if the intention was for Gregor to die or not; I kind of assumed he'd survived his wounds because he did in the book, but I'm not a good judge of...basically anything, especially visual.

The different angle they took with Sansa was interesting, having her sign on to help Littlefinger because she's afraid of the alternative and tell everyone straight up who she is. I'm not sure where they go from here on that story, since Littlefinger's plan from the books seemed to rely on keeping Sansa in his pocket until Robin inevitably dies of something and only THEN revealing her as a suitable mate for Harry the Heir.

Having shit from books 3, 4 AND 5 is getting confusing.

• Like 1

At this point, there are just certain things I am looking forward to (Sand Snakes, Arya in Bravos, Cersei and Marge duking it out) but I have enjoyed most of the changes the show has made so far. 

This wasn't a Red Wedding "you know it will happen and it is still fucked up moment', but still for a brief second I was rooting for Oberyn.

Fucking love these gut punches. Especially for the Unsullied. ;)

So how will this season end? Stannis arriving at the Wall or death of Tywin?

Both. I think they're doing a Blackwater next week though, having it all be War at the Wall. Stannis will be making the save the way Renly's ghost* did two years ago.

* They really didn't do enough to get that over. 

The Red Viper seemed to be talked up as much more of a bad ass in the books, but he came across way cooler on the show.  That ending was amazing.  3 people at worked mentioned that they could not sleep for hours afterwards.  

Same here.  One guy who I knew watched the ep last night called in sick today.

I thought they'd save Tywin getting his until the end of next season, but he really will get his in a week or so.  At this pace, Jon should get his stabbin' also by the end of the season.

This next book better show up on shelves pronto or GRRM had better seagueway the manuscript into working screenplays.

The Red Viper seemed to be talked up as much more of a bad ass in the books, but he came across way cooler on the show.  That ending was amazing.  3 people at worked mentioned that they could not sleep for hours afterwards.  

Same here.  One guy who I knew watched the ep last night called in sick today.

I thought they'd save Tywin getting his until the end of next season, but he really will get his in a week or so.  At this pace, Jon should get his stabbin' also by the end of the season.

This next book better show up on shelves pronto or GRRM had better seagueway the manuscript into working screenplays.

Nah, there's two episodes left this season and a TON of shit at the wall needed to get through before Jon gets perferated.

Everyone being surprised that Oberyn was a bad ass seemed a little unrealistic.  This is a world where every warrior of note seems to be known to everyone throughout  history.  Jaime as a character seems to know everyone who know everyone who has ever swung a sword, and how they would match up to himself and each other.  For Jaime not to know whether or not Oberyn has a chance against the Mountain is just not true to the character or the world.  Like Tyrion said, you don't get the nickname The Red Viper on accident, and in this world everyone would know why he had the nickname, who gave it to him, and whether or not it is flattering or a joke.  Everyone pretending like they don't understand that he is a complete and total bad ass just makes them seem like they weren't paying attention.

The fight was awesome though, it was basically everything I wanted.  Oberyn is supposed to be one of the best warriors in the series, and he looked like it here.  He was 100% confident in his ability, and his confidence was 100% justified.  It was apparent that he was just plain better than The Mountain, and the only advantage The Mountain had was his overwhelming strength.  The only problem was that Oberyn's only weakness as a warrior is his incredible hubris, which eventually was his downfall.  It really showed who these guys were and what made them great warriors, and it also showed why both guys were flawed and were destined to die horrible deaths.

I don't know if you guys have read any of the spoiler chapters from Winds of Winter, but...

Eventually Missendei leaves the World of Ice and Fire and then we get married and have many children.

Like the Red Wedding last season, the Mountain/Viper fight was everything I wanted, and more.  Yeah, that even grossed me out a bit, and that beat out Cat's bloodcurdling scream from last season.  

The Unsullied Thread is so cute...

And I made the mistake of watching a reaction clip video next to my wife, now she wants to see the Oberyn/Mountain fight to see what the fuss is about.  I would like to sleep tonight, so I'm fighting that off.  The Mrs. isn't one for violence, and that shit will scar her for days.

I like how when Littlefinger is telling Robyn how everybody dies, he mentions "people die on their chamber pots."

This was the ultimate!!! 

I am digging some of the predictions in the unsullied thread. 

• Like 1

I also gotta give credit to the showrunners.  Pressing the Fast Forward button on Sansa's arc is a good move.  Now if they follow through and we get full Sith Apprentice Sansa instead of Reluctant Student Sansa from the Books, I might like Sansa.

I have no doubt at this point that they will improve on Sansa's story greatly.  

On the other hand, it looks like they are falling into the same knot with Dany.  Not much you can do about it I guess, considering the big picture implications.  They're going to have to ride it out for better or worse on that front.

I like how when Littlefinger is telling Robyn how everybody dies, he mentions "people die on their chamber pots."

Fucking Littlefinger dropping SPOILERS.  He really is the most evil man in Westeros.

I have no doubt at this point that they will improve on Sansa's story greatly.  

On the other hand, it looks like they are falling into the same knot with Dany.  Not much you can do about it I guess, considering the big picture implications.  They're going to have to ride it out for better or worse on that front.

Elaborate what you mean here. Do you think Dany's story will continue to be drawn out and dull and we'll never see her in Westeros? 

I think the biggest problem I have with the Dany story is that Clarke took her cues on being the Queen from Princess Amidala in full kabuki make-up. Early on, when she was fucking Drogo, she was just a kid thrust into this unexpected role and we got to see her adapt and learn. Now, she acts like a fucking robot. 

This wasn't a Red Wedding "you know it will happen and it is still fucked up moment', but still for a brief second I was rooting for Oberyn.

Fucking love these gut punches. Especially for the Unsullied. ;)

So how will this season end? Stannis arriving at the Wall or death of Tywin?

My guess is the last scene of the season will be Lady Stoneheart to make everyone want season 5 to start as soon as possible.

Yeah, since Ygritte is getting offed next week at Battle of the Wall, complete with Stannis' triumphant arrival, I'm guessing the finale this season is the "Send 'em home happy" show with Tyrion escaping, choking out Shae and knocking off Tywin being the carthatic deaths to make everyone feel better, and then end it with Zombie Cat hanging her some Frey's.

And Hound finally going terminal and Ayra finding the boat to take her to Braavos (since the whole Valor Morghuls theme for the season needs Ayra cashing in the coin and heading east for the payoff)