DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Cruiserweight Madness - 9/19/16

Dolfan in NYC

LOL @ Mahal's new thing.  Vince never met a race-based gimmick he didn't like.  It's why I'm really torn on New Day.  They're great at what they do and are entertaining but once I heard "New Day is on TV so much because Vince loves New Day," all I could see was this old white guy guffawing at the wacky antics of his pet minstrel troupe.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL @ Mahal's new thing.  Vince never met a race-based gimmick he didn't like. 

We should be thankful that someone remembered that Mahal is a practicing Sikh and did not have Mahal be a Yogi as part of his inner peace gimmick since Sikhism does not always incorporate Yoga into its teachings.

Sometimes I believe the workers revel in the offensiveness of their racial gimmicks.  I still think that Muhammad Hassan and the Iron Sheik loved using the Camel Clutch as their finisher.

• Like 1

Give it time.  Remember, Hassan & Daivari's original gimmick was, "we're Americans born and raised and we're sick of how we've been treated since 9/11" to "FUCK IT WE'RE TERRORISTS ALLAHU AKBAR LALALALA SUICIDE BOMBINGS ALL DAY."

This is not a company that does nuance.  Vince left the trailer park but the trailer park never left Vince.

Enjoyed the women's tag.  The storylines for that are way too soon, but it's still cool to see Bayley and Sasha teaming up.  I'd like if they had the chance to bring what they do on house shows (more wackiness) onto TV to further establish their friendship.  And I'm fine with Shining Star on TV as long as Corey is allowed to go nise Heenan like he did last week talking about their resort.  Graves is the best.

The Cruserweight segment was great.  They were in the death spot on the show and managed to get a good reaction with the match.  It's a very promising sign and I'm hoping they get more opportunities.  It was very cool seeing Baltimore native Swann along with Cedric after having the match of his life against Ibushi.  And Kendrick's story was so well-done during CWC that I'm super happy he won.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Run Jinder! She has the crazy eyes!

Poor dude.  Three months of this gimmick and he will be qualified to laugh at all of Mike Epps's crazy sista jokes. 

He will start writing angry letters to Ebony Magazine.  I have been there, man.

ONE OF US~! ONE OF US~!

Welcome to our sad fraternity, Brother Jinder.

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Give it time.  Remember, Hassan & Daivari's original gimmick was, "we're Americans born and raised and we're sick of how we've been treated since 9/11" to "FUCK IT WE'RE TERRORISTS ALLAHU AKBAR LALALALA SUICIDE BOMBINGS ALL DAY."

This is not a company that does nuance.  Vince left the trailer park but the trailer park never left Vince.

Oh, man, don't remind me.  Saw their first intro video live and loved what they were doing.  But the crowd shat all over that and I knew it was done for.  It's a shame it went the way it did.  And seeing Mahal live last week I sense he's not going to fare much better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Dude, that was a decade ago.  Times have changed in WWE-land whether you want to believe it or not.  You might as well be telling us it's only a matter of time before Sasha and Bayley start having bra and panties matches because that's also how it was done in 2005.

• Like 1

I find it weird that for Rollins they are breaking one of their fundamental WWE rules, which is that when a heel turns face everyone forgets all the stupid, cowardly shit he did as a heel.

Instead every time Seth turns a corner and goes on about something he's reminded by someone what a shit stain he's been the last two years.

It turns out that rule was probably their for a reason. 

22 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Dude, that was a decade ago.  Times have changed in WWE-land whether you want to believe it or not.  You might as well be telling us it's only a matter of time before Sasha and Bayley start having bra and panties matches because that's also how it was done in 2005.

That's really apples vs. oranges though.  WWE has made huge strides when it comes to reversing the trend of degrading the female workers on the roster, but the evil foreigner gimmick has had a really long shelf life and arguably the political climate we have today in the US makes it an easy source for cheap heat.

Sad thing is that most of the workers playing evil foreigners are US citizens.

The one thing we should be thankful for is that the WWE is smart enough not to be too offensive all at once. Back in the day if the civil war in Syria were going on at the time, we'd be five months into the United States Heavyweight Title run of our heel champ hailing from Damascus..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I find it weird that for Rollins they are breaking one of their fundamental WWE rules, which is that when a heel turns face everyone forgets all the stupid, cowardly shit he did as a heel.

Instead every time Seth turns a corner and goes on about something he's reminded by someone what a shit stain he's been the last two years.

It turns out that rule was probably their for a reason. 

I was about to say. On the one hand, it's progressive storytelling that they're taking their time with this and easing him into it. On the other hand, this was a case where a really clean turn would have probably been best.

14 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Dude, that was a decade ago.  Times have changed in WWE-land whether you want to believe it or not.

The New Day started out with Malcolm X(avier) and then switched to three guys coming out to gospel music talking about the "power of positivity" when Ferguson happened.

For like a year Rusev was announced as "now residing in Moscow" because Bulgaria wasn't scary enough.

Michael Hayes has a job.

Times ain't changed that much.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

The New Day started out with Malcolm X(avier) and then switched to three guys coming out to gospel music talking about the "power of positivity" when Ferguson happened.

For like a year Rusev was announced as "now residing in Moscow" because Bulgaria wasn't scary enough.

Michael Hayes has a job.

Times ain't changed that much.

Bulgaria, Russia.  Same thing.  All Eastern European heels should bring chains to the ring and beat the shit out of people with them in holding with the tradition of Americans posing as kayfabe Slavs and cheating to win.

It would also be nice if Rusev got to use his kayfabe first name every now and then.

That Cruiserweight 4-way took me back to my college days to when I would watch Nitro in my dorm. This doesn't feel like the old WWF Light Heavyweight division or even the Cruiserweight division after WCW was purchased.  The company appears to be fully behind the division, for now.  The cruisers will eventually get fully over with the crowd, especially with the kids. This makes much more sense than trotting out Jinder Mahal and other retreads. 

34 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

In hindsight, that was actually a pretty nuanced, realistic story about a couple of guys that got radicalized due to the racism they faced.

The Captain's Hook ties in with Kendrick bringing Blackbeard's flag to the ring with him.  Now why he brings Blackbeard's flag to the ring with him is another question, but the name makes sense.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

In hindsight, that was actually a pretty nuanced, realistic story about a couple of guys that got radicalized due to the racism they faced.

The Captain's Hook ties in with Kendrick bringing Blackbeard's flag to the ring with him.  Now why he brings Blackbeard's flag to the ring with him is another question, but the name makes sense.

It's obvious that TBK has some pirate gimmick going on by coming to the ring with Blackbeard's colors and his finisher references Captain Hook. 

TMK Blackbeard did not have a hook for a hand.

Why TAFKA Spanky fancies himself a buccaneer, I have no idea.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cristobal said:

He does look kinda like Pirate Paul Burchill.

I imagine that it has more to do with the brilliantly subtle CWC storyline where he's as the grizzled veteran has had to resort to skullduggery in order to remain competitive against the younger, more athletic workers on the roster.

That's probably where the piracy reference comes into play.

That and the Paul Burchill power beard he's sporting.

That's it... Everyone who has posted without mentioning the greatness of Jericho's 1004 reasons he hates Mick Foley is going on THE LIST. Normally WWE doesn't film comedy very well, but the way they shot that backstage segment with JeriKO so that there was a random dude with a clipboard for Jericho to steal just outside the frame was pretty damn good. Then Jericho channeled his inner Homer Simpson all night long. "Alright Econosave, you just made the list!"

Come to think of it, I don't know if I would've marked out for anything more if Jericho came out while Mick was reading off notecards and was like "Mick Foley, you unintelligible, moronic, high-voiced dweeb. You know nothing about the sport of pro wrestling..."

• Like 2