DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

This is going to be controversial AND paint me as a man old before his time, but I don't really care.  I'm pretty sure Sinead O'Connor's "Sacrifice" is the best Elton John cover ever; she takes a solid song with an overproduced, stereotypically early-90s quality and strips it down to its heart and reminds you that when they weren't buried in out-of-control schmaltz, Elton and Bernie were really fucking good writers.

And the correct answer to the "Badstreet USA" question is Oingo Boingo, because that's the answer to ANY question about hypothetical cover versions (except "Sacrifice" of course.)

Because this is a wrestling message board, I can only assume that everyone agrees with me that the greatest song ever written is Badstreet USA. While the Michael Hayes version is glorious and probably can't be topped, I pose the question: Which of your favorite bands would do the best cover of Badstreet USA? 

For the record, my first thought was Swans, but someone on facebook/twitter suggested Tom Waits. He might be the front runner so far. 

Hank 3.

• Like 2

This guy is tripping me out...

Future Islands are amazing, and were before they ever got on Letterman. Break up anthem masters.

Skip to 8:00 to see the kind of singer he is. It is the kind of voice I would do almost anything to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlowZvis0Q

I haven't been able to stop listening to Future Islands since the Letterman appearance.

So, somehow I'd never heard of this band, at all, until these posts.  I totally get Jrag's post as his weird dancing while he's singing is just so...bizarre.  But now I'm completely obsessed with that 'Seasons' song so I'm totally gonna check out that album.

Wow.  Once again I find myself completely at odds with the DVDVRMB zeitgeist.  I can't decide which is more annoying: the Casio drum machine or the dude's voice.

That happens to me, a lot.

Don't worry, zeitgeist ain't what it used to be.

Everyone here loved Karmin at that one point when everyone loved Karmin. 

It was to me the lowest point in the history of the DVDVR.

• Like 1

Wow.  Once again I find myself completely at odds with the DVDVRMB zeitgeist.  I can't decide which is more annoying: the Casio drum machine or the dude's voice.

You know I really don't think 5 people comprise a zeitgeist.

I posted it on my Facebook last night and me and two friends (Neither of whom I have talked to in YEARS) have been going crazy for it.  Apparently I've listened to the 2 live versions and album version a combined 22 times since last night!

David Letterman flipping out for it at the end is amazing.

Wow. Once again I find myself completely at odds with the DVDVRMB zeitgeist. I can't decide which is more annoying: the Casio drum machine or the dude's voice.

That happens to me, a lot.

Don't worry, zeitgeist ain't what it used to be.

Everyone here loved Karmin at that one point when everyone loved Karmin.

It was to me the lowest point in the history of the DVDVR.

Who the fuck is Karmin?

• Like 2

Oddly enough, I feel the beat is one of their strong points. And I'm with Eva on the Jack Black comparison.

It's not the beat, it's the sound.  I like the timbre of actual drums, and that ain't even close.

This is also my main issue with Karmin, so go figure.

IT'S THE RETURN OF THE STREAM POSTS, now that there's like multiple albums I can vet in a week. 

NPR- Pretty opportune, given the last page of the thread!

future_islands_singles.jpg

"Singles" by Future Islands

1. Seasons (Waiting On You)

2. Spirit

3. Sun in the Morning

4. Doves

5. Back in the Tall Grass

6. A Song for Our Grandfathers

7. Light House

8. Like The Moon

9. Fall From Grace

10. A Dream of You and Me

NPR- The first words on this album are "take my pants off." If you can believe it, it gets better from there.

140113-liars-mess-album-cover.jpg

"Mess" by Liars

1. Mask Maker

2. Vox Tuned D.E.D.

3. I'm No Gold

4. Pro Anti Anti

5. Can't Hear Well

6. Mess On A Mission

7. Darkslide

8. Boyzone

9. Dress Walker

10. Perpetual Village

11. Left Speaker Blown

seriously this is my new favorite liars record

• Like 1

Having one of my periodic Vandals nights, reliving undergrad and singing along to "Flowers Are Pretty" and "Join Us For Pong."  

I'm also really getting into the Feathers album If All Now Here; I saw them open for SOMEBODY here in Austin a year or two ago and wasn't super impressed, but GTAV hooked me on "Dark Matter", which got me to buy the album, which is pretty excellent.  I always feel like I need to pay more attention to the hipster side of synthpop, but never quite make time for it.  (That said, Future Islands is just sort of there for me.  Nothing about them turns me off, but nothing about them makes me want to go see them, either.)

• Like 1