DVDVR Message Board

Brock Lesnar Finalizes Deal for Fight at UFC 200

Elsalvajeloco

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Soon as it showed up on Twitter first people thought was Brock vs Mark Hunt.  Oh please oh please 

Man, that's a hard fight to return to.

• Like 2

There aren't that many easy fights for Brock in the current UFC heavyweight division. Bigfoot Silva maybe, or somebody else who should have retired a fight or two ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

There aren't that many easy fights for Brock in the current UFC heavyweight division. Bigfoot Silva maybe, or somebody else who should have retired a fight or two ago.

I was thinking he would fight Struve since other options aren't available. JDS is out until Oct-Dec. because of shoulder/bicep surgery. Werdum already has a fight against Rothwell. Barnett and Arlovski are fighting each other. The Black Beast is fighting Nelson a couple days before UFC 200. Browne and Velasquez are fighting each other.

Besides JDS, Hunt would be the worst possible matchup. At least with Struve, there is that chance where Lesnar just takes him and tries desperately to avoid a submission. Pezao probably should be nowhere near a cage right now.

For what is likely a one off fight before getting another major payday at SummerSlam, fighting an opponent who could potentially knock your head clean off your shoulders ain't exactly a tempting offer. However, I would still love to see that fight if it is indeed being made.

Pezao shouldn't be fighting, I agree. But if there was a payday like that one the table, it would make sense (fighter sense, not actual sense) to take it.

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Pezao shouldn't be fighting, I agree. But if there was a payday like that one the table, it would make sense (fighter sense, not actual sense) to take it.

In the back of my mind and in my gut, that is the fight that actually happens.

3 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

What about Randy Couture? What's his status? I remember he said he at least considered fighting Fedor.

Couture is doing other stuff and more importantly, would be 53 years old by the time that fight happens. Plus, I am pretty sure he would need to apply for a license again since he is of an advanced age. 

Plus, Couture doesn't have the best relationship with Zuffa now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

whoa, whoa, whoa.

lesnar at 200?!? can this be a real thing? whats his wwe contract situation?

Rumor is he went back and got his contract to include a UFC option.

I love that when the UFC Fighter Info robot thing added Brock's profile back into UFC.com, Michael Carroll said it was just an example of shitty database management.

Apparently, it wasn't. :)

2 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Brock as co main would break up the 3 title fights and you wouldn't have two heavyweights fights back to back.

Plus he's their biggest PPV draw ever.

It is interesting putting him on this card. I don't think he is the draw he was back at UFC 100, and if he was headlining his own PPV I don't think it would top a million like Conor and Rousey have been able to do since he left. UFC 141 only did about 535K which was the last one he was on, I think that if Brock had his own PPV it wouldn't touch the UFC 202 buyrate. But adding him to this card will probably boost the buyrate a bit as there will always be the casual fan or wrestling fan that may have been on the fence that seeing Brock will tip it over the edge.

It will also be interesting to see which does better, UFC 200 or UFC 202, which likely depends on what other big matches are on UFC 202. Its a shame they 'had' to move Conor/Diaz, imagine that fight and Brock on the same card, it would have smashed everything.

Holy shit at this unprecedented deal arrangement, Brock Lesnar fights at UFC 200! In return WWE gets coverage and Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania XXXIII? 

Didn't Frank Mir piss hot? That rules him out as Brock's opponent. I can see Brock vs. Bigfoot.

4 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Brock as co main would break up the 3 title fights and you wouldn't have two heavyweights fights back to back.

Plus he's their biggest PPV draw ever.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It is interesting putting him on this card. I don't think he is the draw he was back at UFC 100, and if he was headlining his own PPV I don't think it would top a million like Conor and Rousey have been able to do since he left. UFC 141 only did about 535K which was the last one he was on, I think that if Brock had his own PPV it wouldn't touch the UFC 202 buyrate. But adding him to this card will probably boost the buyrate a bit as there will always be the casual fan or wrestling fan that may have been on the fence that seeing Brock will tip it over the edge.

It will also be interesting to see which does better, UFC 200 or UFC 202, which likely depends on what other big matches are on UFC 202. Its a shame they 'had' to move Conor/Diaz, imagine that fight and Brock on the same card, it would have smashed everything.

I think based on last year, Ronda and Conor have surpassed Brock as a draw. Obviously, for different reasons. Also, Brock was never that live gate draw for UFC that they probably wanted. Although, I will say that Vegas for the UFC is always up and down especially when they book back-to-back big shows.

UFC 141 had some odd circumstances behind it. I think Brock's name was tarnished a little heading into that fight, but you also had that show being on a Friday. In addition, I don't think Overeem was that big of a star to put against Lesnar. I think Overeem being a big name was more of MMA fan bubble thing. Moreover, I think the hardcore fans wanted Overeem to smash Lesnar.

As far as what the UFC 200 fight means, I think it's a much bigger thing once you hit International Fight Week. With Overeem vs. Lesnar, they didn't get proper chance to build for a retirement fight or last stand type fight. If you go all in on that (along with the WWE possibly hyping that as well), that's a crazy amount of hype that pretty much forces people to buy UFC 200. Also, I think the fact Lesnar has pretty much rehabbed a lot of image returning to the WWE is a tremendous blessing for this fight.

What's funny is that UFC could get more from one Lesnar fight than what WWE has gotten so far in his return.

As far as the Mania thing goes on whether WWE could get an appearance out of Ronda or McGregor, there is some thought this is payback for allowing Ronda to do that appearance with Rock on last year's show. However, I think this could just be something in Lesnar's contract that he had added.