DVDVR Message Board

Brock Lesnar Finalizes Deal for Fight at UFC 200

Elsalvajeloco

51 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

There's a lot we can criticize Zuffa for but getting Lesnar back for 200 and being able to hard sell those fans on Punk's debut at 202 is a pretty good bit of promoting.

It also helps 201 get that residual effect to kinda halt a lot of the "I'll skip this one and save my money for 202".  So 275k-325k for that show sandwiched between two potential behemoth shows isn't bad at all.

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It also helps 201 get that residual effect to kinda halt a lot of the "I'll skip this one and save my money for 202".  So 275k-325k for that show sandwiched between two potential behemoth shows isn't bad at all.

A Robbie Lawler fight will get my eyes every single time, as will DJ.  Not to mention, Matt Brown vs. Jake Ellenberger in a "Somebody's going to get their ass whipped," match.  

Is Hunt any good?  I don't watch MMA at all, and can literally name less than 6 MMA fighters who haven't crossed over to pro wrestling.

All I really know about Hunt is Wikipedia says his record is 12-10-1.  Not exactly inspiring, but I don't know how much weight to give his overall record.

• Like 1

He's in some of the best form and shape of his career and is one of if not the best knock out artists in the game today. He can take an absurd amount of punishment and, as Elsalvajeloco mentioned, has improved his takedown defense. He's a nightmare for most top heavyweights let alone Brock Lesnar coming back to fighting for the first time in 4 and a half years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Is Hunt any good?  I don't watch MMA at all, and can literally name less than 6 MMA fighters who haven't crossed over to pro wrestling.

All I really know about Hunt is Wikipedia says his record is 12-10-1.  Not exactly inspiring, but I don't know how much weight to give his overall record.

Not very much. For the early years of his career he was a pure kickboxer guy who had no grappling to speak of, which led to him losing six fights in a row between 2006 and 2010. Since then, when he really became a well-rounded MMA fighter (or at least got good enough at grappling to survive until he could start hitting again), he's 7-3-1, with the 3 losses being to the current Champion (Stipe Miocic), the previous Champion (Fabricio Werdum), and Junior Dos Santos (who had just lost the title; His match with Hunt was a winner gets next title shot match).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

To expand on what AxB said above:

MMA records aren't like boxing. If you look at cumulative MMA records and UFC records (fights that happen specifically in the UFC), you'll find a lot of them to be extremely deceiving because more fighters are fighting guys who are no worse than comparable talent or better. Very few setup fights. More ways to lose and win plus spotty judging.

As far as Hunt goes, I believe Mark Hunt was a kickboxer when Lesnar was still in OVW. Even though Hunt is probably one of the worst credentialed fighters ever to win the K-1 Grand Prix (back when that mattered), his knockout power is simply undeniable. When he converted to MMA, his ground game was mediocre at best which contributed to most of those losses. The only thing that kept his career in PRIDE afloat is the fact that he touches people and they usually go down in a heap. Once PRIDE was gone, Hunt basically became a journeyman and it looked like his career was over. When Melvin Manhoef (who fights two weight classes down and weighs at least 80 pounds less) knocked him out quickly in Dream (the successor to PRIDE in Japan before it ultimately folded a few years later), that was thought to be the death knell because Mark Hunt had one of the best chins in all of MMA and kickboxing. Then, his contract was rolled over into the UFC at some point and he decided to exercise that option to fight there. He was still pretty amateurish when it came to the ground and fought like shit. And looked like it physically. However, he went on some forays to the United States to train at American Top Team (one of the top gyms) and began really cross training for the first time. He got gradually better in terms of grappling (and physically especially in recent fights) even though the heavyweight division is so below average compared to other divisions in MMA to the point where grappling isn't that important in many cases.

Lets just put it this way:

1386396668567.jpg

In actuality, Brock should have taken a fight against the man (Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva) on the left whose best years came around the time Lesnar exited the sport. He goes down as soon as you hit him on the chin solidly and loses consciousness. This is made possible because he can never longer have a TUE (therapeutic use exemption) for testosterone, even though he probably had the best case to have one out of everyone who had it during the TRT era. He definitely didn't want to fight the man on the right (Mark Hunt), who can pretty much shut your lights off w/ one strike and then walk away like an OG.

• Like 2

I'm kinda intrigued by the idea of seeing someone take it to Brock and whoop on him.  Guess I'm in (I assume this will be on PPV).  I haven't seen any of Brock's previous fights, so even though he's lost a few, I didn't see them and have no idea how they went (Brock murdering people until he slips on a banana peel and falls into other guy's fist?).

Shouldn't Punk/Brooks be fighting sometime soon.  Seems like his MMA debut was announced ages ago.

2 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Shouldn't Punk/Brooks be fighting sometime soon.  Seems like his MMA debut was announced ages ago.

Looking like UFC 202, which is August 20th on PPV.

9 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I'm kinda intrigued by the idea of seeing someone take it to Brock and whoop on him.  Guess I'm in (I assume this will be on PPV).  I haven't seen any of Brock's previous fights, so even though he's lost a few, I didn't see them and have no idea how they went (Brock murdering people until he slips on a banana peel and falls into other guy's fist?).

If you want to check them out...

Brock vs. Cain Velasquez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdUh4NhZ5Fk

Brock vs. Alistair Overeem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Ih2Bhbzco

Even off the gimmick, I think Overeem takes Lesnar apart. Just a bad style matchup. It may take longer because Lesnar isn't ill and also Overeem is way more methodical now. However, it is still a matter of when and not if.

• Like 1

As an Australian, I'm particularly intrigued by this fight.  As a pro-wrestling fan, I'd always rooted for Brock because he was great at silencing the critics of pro-wrestling who were otherwise happy to label wrestlers faux tough-guys.

However, as a person, I could take or leave Brock.  The Stone Cold Podcast episode where he acknowledged he doesn't interact with the boys and basically just resents people confirmed my indifference toward him (at least he's honest).  However, I'm a huge fan of Mark Hunt and I'm hopeful that he wins decisively and is rewarded with a Heavyweight title shot.

Either way, the build-up is going to be something else.  I can't wait.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2016 at 5:52 PM, misanthrope304 said:

Where are you getting the info that RR/Brock is an arrangement between wwe/ufc?  From everything ive read, brock asked for a possible ufc fight option in his last wwe contract. 

I was speculating.

On 05/06/2016 at 10:54 PM, L_W_P said:

I don't care if Mir pissed hot and I don't think the Brock/Heyman camp would either. UFC should be doing everything to make that fight happen.

On 05/06/2016 at 11:49 PM, AxB said:

You (and they) might not care if Mir pissed hot, but the Nevada State Athletic Commission probably would. And they have a bit more of a say on things, really.

ThankS, AxB.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Brock's SportsCenter segment is airing right now.

EDIT: Confirmed, it's Mark Hunt.

So Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt at UFC 200. Oh, boy at that opponent and the power he has. There’s not much time between this show and wrestling at WWE SummerSlam 2016.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Even off the gimmick, I think Overeem takes Lesnar apart. Just a bad style matchup. It may take longer because Lesnar isn't ill and also Overeem is way more methodical now. However, it is still a matter of when and not if.

I wonder if Brock Lesnar would've stayed in the UFC if Alistair Overeem pissed hot after their UFC 141 fight. Overeem failed a pre-fight drug test for his next fight against Junior dos Santos which was supposed to happen at UFC 146. Frank Mir replaced Overeem.

The day after UFC 200, this guy is going to be really pissed off if he didn't get shown in the broadcast as a celebrity in attendance:

HaUqZmWF_400x400.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

We need less fans getting "over", not more.

This fight will get me to watch my first UFC since... fuck, probably the last time Brock had a fight.  It's been a while.

That be against Alistair Overeem at UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem way back in December 2011.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That be against Alistair Overeem at UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem way back in December 2011.

Oh wow, then even earlier - last full event i watched, I believe, was Lesnar's victory over Shane Carwin.  I feel old.

I'm looking forward to the fight - either Brock proves he was right about his condition and goes back to WWE an even bigger star, or Mark Hunt KTFOs him and gets a HUGE notch in his belt, and probably a damn nice PO for "defending" UFC against the returning invader.  And it's big money for everyone involved, possibly including WWE.

• Like 1