DVDVR Message Board

WWE BRAND SPLIT 2.0

22 hours ago, Cyanide said:

I was watching Kassius Ohno stuff from NXT and some of his more recent stuff in NOAH yesterday and was wondering what the odds were of Hero ever getting a second look by the WWE...

Anyone have thoughts on who some of top targets might actually be (aside from the top TNA guys Rippa listed, and presumably the Roode/Ibushi/Ricochet 'matter of time' category guys)?

Hey, Kenny Omega, here's $1.2 million.  Bill DeMott doesn't work here anymore.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cyanide said:

Anyone have thoughts on who some of top targets might actually be (aside from the top TNA guys Rippa listed, and presumably the Roode/Ibushi/Ricochet 'matter of time' category guys)?

I have to imagine they're looking to raid Shimmer to bolster the women's division(s). I saw a rumor around Mania that were interested in Nicole Savoy who seems like a good fit. I'm also surprised Nicole Matthews or the Kimber Bombs haven't turned up in NXT at all. Matthews specifically has impressed me each time I've seen her.

On the men's side, I think the CWC will give a lot of insight. Zack Sabre Jr and Drew Gulak are likely targets and deservedly so. I think they should also give Will Osperay and Matt Riddle a look.

48 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Hey, Kenny Omega, here's $1.2 million.  Bill DeMott doesn't work here anymore.

But his CREATIVE FREEDOM.  Which I assume is being able to name moves after video games.

Probably being lazy and focusing on the big names, but my first thought was they could basically trawl as many gaijin from NJPW as possible, given the likely need to bolster the tag (maybe they'll go after KES from NOAH too, if they're both on good enough terms with the WWE still?) and cruiserweight divisions with guys reasonably ready for primetime.  And the possibility of a Tonga vs Samoa Bloodline feud - get hype!!!

Edit: Oh, right.  People have, like, contracts and stuff.  Stupid complicated business nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

On the men's side, I think the CWC will give a lot of insight. Zack Sabre Jr and Drew Gulak are likely targets and deservedly so. I think they should also give Will Osperay and Matt Riddle a look.

Ospreay is freshly signed with New Japan so he isn't going anywhere for a bit

28 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Was Omega the guy that DeMott had wrestle naked, or the guy whose ass he shoved a jelly donut up?

I don't think either.  They were in Deep South together and Kenny was just pissed with DeMott because DeMott had "his guys" that he would push on the office over more deserving guys.

I think the roster sizes are fine if you split the Women onto one show and the Tag Division in the other.  

The problems will still come down to Creative.  Roster sizes are meaningless if the talent is not used in the proper manner.

• Like 2

I have no faith in the long term that this brand split thing will work just because I know Vince and his track record. Lets say for the sake of argument that Live Smackdown does better than RAW. You just know he would be the type to sabotage the show. He did it before when Smackdown was destroying RAW in terms of quality and praise back in the 2000's. If a Cena led Smackdown destroys a Roman led RAW, yeah this brand split will suddenly become super shows pretty damn quickly.

Honestly, I'd love for them to give Triple H full run of control over Smackdown like he has of NXT and see what he can really do. Bring in his people (including production meaning no Kevin Dunn just to give it a different look all together). I know that's a pipe dream especially if "Vince is super excited" for the moment about all this. But if Triple H is going to get the keys someday, we might as well see what we can really do.

• Like 1

OK, so was USA significantly better off  ratings-wise in 2014? I'm wondering how Vince McMahon wasn't able to wring more money out of that last TV agreement if, just two years later, they're basically the only significant product on the whole USA network when it comes to ratings. 

• Like 1

Holy shit, what is up with Cage's hair in that picture?

Wait - Kris LOGAN - hahaha, was dude working a Wolverine gimmick? I don't remember anything about this. 

• Like 1

NEW YORK – December 18, 2014 – USA Network will finish the year as the most watched ad-supported cable entertainment network for an unprecedented 9th consecutive year. Fueled by a strong stable of original series, the powerhouse WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW, and top-rated acquired series, USA’s winning streak continued with 2.14MM total viewers P2+, 7% higher than the closest competitive cable entertainment network.

USA is also cable’s top-performer with women, ranking #1 for the year in F18-49 (486,000, +8% over its closest competitor) and F25-54 (500,000, +8%).  USA has been #1 in F18-49 since 2005 and in F25-54 since 2006—both unprecedented streaks among ad-supported networks.

“In an increasingly competitive landscape, maintaining our leadership position is a true feat and a testament to our quality programming,” said Chris McCumber, president of USA Network. “2014 was also a financial success for the network, as we once again achieved our most profitable year ever.  I am excited to build on this momentum in 2015, as we roll out more new dramas than ever before, starting with the much-anticipated event series DIG.”

That was the end of 2014 - so at that moment they were fine (plus the whole issue with RAW doesn't have as good of ad rates)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James F'n X said:

USA has had a bunch of stinker shows since 2014, plus Royal Pains is wrapping up, Suits can't be far behind, Covert Affairs has ended since then... it's pretty lean at USA for hits other than Mr. Robot.

Well and Chrisley Knows Best

4 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

My pipe dream is that both Steph and Shane stay on Raw and fight over power while Smackdown is run as a glorious anarchist utopia.

Also, a lot of people have brought up how great a Rusev title run will be, but I think we are overlooking the real greatness of a brand split: Miz and Maryse cutting promos about how they are the real face of Smackdown/Raw.

This goes with my fantasy booking idea of Miz being John Cena's first feud when Cena comes back. We'd eventually get Miz/Maryse vs. Cena/Nikki matches. It would be a match made for the E! Network when Team Total Divas wrestles Team Total Bellas

26 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

This goes with my fantasy booking idea of Miz being John Cena's first feud when Cena comes back. We'd eventually get Miz/Maryse vs. Cena/Nikki matches. It would be a match made for the E! Network when Team Total Divas wrestles Team Total Bellas

It would be worth it just to hear Miz call him John Bella.

• Like 1

I would love for John Cena to chase Miz for a title, and Miz only agrees to the title shot after John gets him and Maryse a meeting with the E! people about their own reality show and a guest spot/backdoor pilot on total divas.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, James F'n X said:

USA has had a bunch of stinker shows since 2014, plus Royal Pains is wrapping up, Suits can't be far behind, Covert Affairs has ended since then... it's pretty lean at USA for hits other than Mr. Robot.

A couple of years ago - probably in the same time frame they started negotiating the new TV contract - USA decided to change their philosophy for original programming and get away from procedurals and action shows and branch out into serious dramas, comedies, etc.  The first wave of those shows seems to have largely flopped.  The comedies have largely gone unwatched (Donnie, Playing House, the paramedics comedy whose title escapes me right now), and the dramas have floundered except for Mr. Robot (season 2 of Satisfaction got burned off late Friday nights with virtually no promotion).

The last of USA's established hits are getting near the end - Royal Pains ends its run this summer - and Variety said they were struggling to get new shows in production.  Basically, Hollywood doesn't think they have a lot in the pipleline, so to speak.

Two+ years ago, they probably had a lot more faith in their original programming.

• Like 4