DVDVR Message Board

WWE BRAND SPLIT 2.0

Sasha Banks was called up to the main roster last July. Sasha wasn't on the November 2015 and April 2016 shows I went to. Hope third time's the charm and I see her in November, ditto for John Cena. You don't who you get until nearer the time.

OH!

Totally spaced on this one.

This means Smackdown will go head to head with Impact for a hour

I wonder if the POP CEO would like to wave his dick around now

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

OH!

Totally spaced on this one.

This means Smackdown will go head to head with Impact for a hour

I wonder if the POP CEO would like to wave his dick around now

Tuesday Night Wars!!!

RRvIZ.gif

• Like 3

This is all going to build to Raw's champ Cena against SmackDown's champ Reigns at Wrestlemania.

Or not. That's cynical thinking which isn't productive.

I also think Cody should have maybe waited a bit, but honestly, Vince and HHH could have told Cody to just sit tight because this was coming.

• Like 1

They will save money not having talent fly to two shows a week only to find out they are not being used.

Two shows will mean more focus on said talent.  

Each show could have its own unique signatures.  

May mean brand specific PPV's.  With the network this could be a good thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

They will save money not having talent fly to two shows a week only to find out they are not being used.

Don't they already save money by having the talent pay for their own transport? 

New Smackdown Six could be Zayn, Cesaro, Styles, Kalisto, Owens, and, I dunno, Ryder. That's not including call ups of course. Although now that I think about it, I'd put Owens and Zayn on separate rosters to extend the length of that feud until Mania. 

I'm not crazy about a brand split, especially with Raw having 3 hours and SD only having 2. I can't see SD not becoming ECW-level over time since more things will need to be put on Raw to fill time.

In theory, that could be mitigated by putting the entire women's division on Raw with more call-ups and a women's tag division so that they end up getting approximately 1 hour of tv time (40 minutes of content) per week. This would be unprecedented levels of exposure for women's wrestling in WWE, and would keep the talent and exposure levels more equal between the men on both shows. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see this happening.

I'm kind of torn on the floating champion. If it means women's title and CW title matches can main-event single-brand shows, I'd be down. If it just means one brand is in stall mode for a few weeks between major shows, forget it.

I do miss the days of two distinct shows and separate titles because Smackdown gave some room for acts to rise without the pressures of Raw. This will be interesting at the top and the bottom of the card. That middle is going to be mighty ugly. I have no idea how you fill up that much programming with a limited roster. Weekly iron man matches?

Of course - some "name" NXT folks are going to get boned since they will need to keep people around to help keep the NXT brand viable

Poor poor Bayley will never get called up

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Honestly, if he wants to come back in a year, he'll probably be able to do so in a much better position than he'd be in after another year of Stardust.

He can come back in a year and I'm sure Vince will have no problem putting him back on TV as Cody Rhodes.  Grandson of a plumber who wears yellow polka dots and dances with Nia Jax.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Of course - some "name" NXT folks are going to get boned since they will need to keep people around to help keep the NXT brand viable

Poor poor Bayley will never get called up

So long as she keeps driving merch and is compensated based on her impact (and presumably she's in the class of NXT contract that got boosted last year), she's better off not ever going to the main roster. She'd be just another person within a month (totally ignored by the crowd in Tulsa, or whatever) and a heel or dating Ric Flair on-air or something within six. 

She's actually an attraction in NXT. Shes' worth way more to them there relative to the fanbase and how they'd use her (though not relative to what she COULD be, of course).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm seriously bummed that the ALL NEW SMACKDOWN is going to look exactly like every Raw and every PPV outside of Mania.  Separate show, separate roster, looks just like everything else. 

#bringbackthefist

Be careful with that hashtag...though I wouldn't know the reason why ; ).

• Like 7

The new Smackdown Six:

Charlotte, Becky, Asuka, Sasha, Bayley, Nikki Bella

I think NXT will be fine as a touring brand with the losses of Balor, Nakamura, Asuka, Bayley. You still have American Alpha, Samoa Joe, The Revival, Austin Aries, Hideo Itami, Alexa Bliss, Carmella, Nia Jax....okay so some work might have to be done but you could easily send a few RAW/SD folks to do a loop with the NXT crew or just throw some older names on the NXT tour who aren't doing much on RAW or Smackdown. Also depending on how contracts are written, you could have the trainers work some shows too. The NXT Crowd is smarky enough to want to see Alexa Bliss vs. Sarah Stock.

• Like 2