DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But to keep this about the MCU

Yeah, I didn't mean to go that far OT. The discussion just got me to thinking, and I surprised myself. 

Evans is my guy in the MCU. RDJ has been mailing it in for awhile now. Either that, or the character has just gotten stale for me. Sadly, there's not a lot more for Cap to do apart from sacrifice himself facing down Thanos. If they go that route, I hope we get something like this:

47714399_dcn7rofumaaqhhy.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

All that said, Infinity War is something I've wanted to see on screen for a very long time, since I was a kid. I wish they had kept it two parts. I'm very excited. I think that will be the peak of the MCU.

The "official line" is that the movies were always supposed to be two distinct projects but since they shared so many common elements, it felt appropriate at the time to subtitle them as such.

Feige pushed back later on and suggested that the movies be retitled, because he did not want there to be a misconception that the movies telling the IW story were one metaplot that was cut in half.

Personally I think that is bullshit and Marvel wanted to get away from the trend in most YA franchises like Hunger Games and Twilight of stretching a trilogy into four films and naming the last two movies, Part 1 and Part 2.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:08 AM, J.T. said:

Personally I think that is bullshit and Marvel wanted to get away from the trend in most YA franchises like Hunger Games and Twilight of stretching a trilogy into four films and naming the last two movies, Part 1 and Part 2.

A good idea in my opinion. I don't know how well they did at the box office, but personally my interest in seeing the final chapter of the Hunger Games was completely killed when I heard they were splitting it into two movies.

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dropped a ton from Mockingjay

Those films were inferior to the first two*, IMO, as was the book. I was big into JLaw at the time, and I didn't go see Mockingjay 2 at the cinema. 

My point being that if Infinity 1 is good, then people will see part 2. But if it's not great, then part 2 will likely suffer. 

*Not that the first two films were great, but it's all relative. 

Shit, I meant the box office dropped a ton from Catching Fire.

Other than Deathly Hallows part 2, I think movie splitting has led to lower box office per film on all of them. And even it probably had lower ticket sales, but was the first HP movie to get the 3D bump.

Well, Hunger Games, Harry Potter and Twilight were all basically aimed at more or less the same people (maybe Hunger Games slightly younger). And the fool me once, shame on you thing happened there..., but the way Divergent died pretty much killed the Final Chapter Part One phenomena right there.

Mockingjay 2 is the only one I saw on the big screen though.

On 7/24/2017 at 0:48 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Am I the only one more excited for Thor: Ragnarok than Infinity War?

Granted, I saw Thor I and II, so I'm expecting to be one of those fools parted from his money.

Why does Natalie Portman refuse to come back?  Not that I blame her.  Her role in the first two movies was pretty badly underwritten.  I'd mark for a Thor movie based on Aaron's run with a female Thor, but I'd guess they'd recast the role if they ran with that (probably with whoever was the second choice for Wonder Woman).

She wasn't happy with the first one, and the firing of Patty Jenkins soured her on The Dark World. Apparently She doesn't outright refuse, but she's of the opinion and the belief that she's done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

What were box offices like for Hobbit movies? 

All 3 of the Hobbitt movies made around $1B worldwide.  The latter 2 movies performed almost identically, and most of the dropoff between those two and the first came on the domestic side of things.  

Here in the states we get tired of shit a lot quicker than many of the overseas territories. See:  Transformers, Pirates, etc.   Many of these franchises are dying off in the states but still doing big business overseas. The Hunger Games was part of that.  I'm a culprit myself.  I have yet to watch the final Hunger Games movie. I think after Mockingjay Part 1 something clicked in my brain where I just said  "wait a minute,  I don't care how this ends".  

Got a really nice looking Thanos print from D23 on eBay, just came in the mail today. I'm not too thrilled with how Thanos looks (armor wise), but in this print, he's a fuckin' badass.

Spoiler

FS3Us4Yl.jpg

• Like 3

Home from Spider-Man: Homecoming. Right enjoyed it. Tom Holland is so Peter Parker/Spider-Man. I thought he stole the show in Captain America: Civil War and he nailed it in his solo movie. Great MCU villain too in Adrian Toomes/the Vulture by Michael Keaton. Funny film and time flew by though my Dad disagreed there.

• Like 5