DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: Week 1

Dolfan in NYC

Kinda funny, but as a Bears fan, my stance on my North teams and their fanbases goes like this.

Pack: Grudging respect. If all 4 teams fanbases all met up, these are the ones I'd argue with the least. I'd see them, cringe, give a short nod of acknowledgement, and look somewhere else thinking "at least we are both better then these other fuckheads."

Vikings: Immense dislike. Watching Viking fans openly embrace Favre made me sick, and I'm ecstatic they got no ring out of it. Fuck the Vikings.

Lions: Pity.

• Like 1

In honor of NFL kickoff week, I wrote a commentary on why Mike Holmgren's Packers should have been one of the greatest NFL squads ever and what went wrong. Part one also covers the glorious run of Lombardi and the dark days for Green Bay that went on from 1968 until 1992. culturecrossfire.com/sports/football/dynasty-denied-mike-holmgrens-green-bay-packers-part-one-the-dark-days/#.UiXYwT8iy2A

Let me know what you guys think. Not sure how many Packer backers are roaming about here  ;)

Been a fan since I was a kid and make it a point to go to at least one game each year (So far I have seen them play in Baltimore, Philly, NY Jets, St.Louis, Green Bay and this year I am heading to Minnesota.)  Going to give this a read when I am work tomorrow. #GoPackGo

Mike Holmgren's Packers would never be one of the all-time greats because of Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre. So yeah, fuck the Packers. The amount of reverence shown to that franchise is fucking ridiculous. If the NFL were a family, the Packers would be the weird uncle who joined a cult and talks endlessly about chemtrails at family functions.

That's a bit rich coming from a Bears fan. How long are we going to have to hear about the one year in the last 40 that they managed to accomplish something. Everyone fawns over the Butkus/Sayers teams and they fucking sucked during most of the 60s. Yeah they dominated the 30s and 40s, but then the forward pass became a thing and they still haven't gotten the hang of that.

They're not the Vikings, though, so that's a solid plus.

Brett Favre is awesome. New York corrupted him with its steel tendrils of temptation and the Vikings raped his corpse (as they are wont to do, I fear for Greg Jennings). The only problem he had in Green Bay was that painkiller addiction, but that's because he just wanted to get out on to that field and sling some pigskins around.

FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! I've fucking missed you.

I'm not blind to how the Packers are portrayed by the media, but the same charge can easily be levied against the Steelers, Cowboys, Bears, current day Patriots, any team Payton Manning is on and probably the Giants and Skins. The 49ers are probably back in that group with their resurgence of the last few years. Every sports league has a couple teams that the media always holds up over others, whether its due to prior successes or some bullshit intangible like "playing the right way", the NFL just seems to have an abundance.

I wish every team had the Packers' ownership structure.

There's only one concentration of rubes big enough to pay for a fake stock they hang on their walls.

Bills fans would do it.  Problems is that a near 100% buy in might net in the low to mid four figures.