DVDVR Message Board

Labor Day Raw (2 September Raw for everyone else)

Dolfan in NYC

Jeezus Christ there is a ton of hand-wringing going on in this thread. The biggest complaint anyone should have is Orton being waaaaay too complacent with playing second fiddle to HHH.

Actually the biggest complaint anyone should have is that they just did an angle two years ago where the roster walked out en masse on HHH as COO when he wasn't being nearly the dick he is now.
It's easy to push around the nice boss. When nice boss becomes asshole boss...the chickens come home to roost.

And what's wrong with being DDP/Luger?

Luger got his ass kicked by the nWo every week, begging the company's real "hero" to help him, then won the title for 5 days and eventually turned heel and joined the nWo.

I have a little higher expectations for Daniel Bryan than that.

Bryan will never be as big as 97 Luger. Who was pretty much the top active face in wrestling during a huge year. You can say Austin, but WWF was still second place. 

If the Yes-Lock ever got the kind of pop the Torture Rack got, Vince would cream his pants and Bryan would be a made man for life.

• Like 1

The Torture Rack was also a more protected finisher. There were many a Nitro's in '96 and '97 where Luger or Luger and The Giant would just squash jobbers and Luger always won with the rack. It was a given that once you were in the rack, you were gonna submit.

The Torture Rack was also a more protected finisher. There were many a Nitro's in '96 and '97 where Luger or Luger and The Giant would just squash jobbers and Luger always won with the rack. It was a given that once you were in the rack, you were gonna submit.

There were a lot of over submissions then. Guys actually got wins over name competition. 

It's funny that everyone today posted about a Dusty finish with Bryan, because at work today I was thinking about how rabid people would be if they redid the finish from HHH/Jericho, with the over excited ref having a borderline fast count, dick HHH berating the poor guy, and Stephanie concern trolling and being passive aggressive. Orton gets handed the title again and celebrates like he just ended the streak to end the show.

I'm not saying that Booker should have won the feud, but you can't book a guy to be a racist heel and have him not get any comeuppance at all from the guy he's insulting.

I never got a racist vibe from all that. It came off to me like HhH and Flair were calling him a mid card guy from WcW who shouldn't be a World Champ and should be carrying their bags, like a job guy. I hated the whole "backstage politics" stuff and didn't even think about race. To me racist is Lawler saying he'llwet Kamala's lips and stick him on a wall . I get why people thought HHH/ Booker was racist , but I took it as burying WCW .
Johnny, you are awesome and one of my favorite people I've ever discussed wrestling, or, well anything with... but that angle was racist as all get out.

Remember the last time you guys asked for someone to bring back the Torture Rack? It didn't turn out well then, and it ain't gonna turn out well now.

I think you mean Macho Man's diving elbow drop.

Yeah, longest WWE Title reign in modern history, and second biggest merch mover. That turned out great.

• Like 1

From the Torch...

WWE Raw on Labor Day Monday, September 2 dropped to a 2.85 rating, down 7 percent from last week's 3.07 rating.Raw was tied with the July 1 episode for the lowest rating of the past two months.- Raw fell below four million viewers for the first time since July, averaging 3.936 million viewers, down six percent from last week.Hourly Break Down: Poor start of 3.690 million first hour viewers, 4.146 million second hour viewers, and 3.974 million third hour viewers.- Raw took a hit from Week 1 of the college football season on ESPN and a one-time Comedy Central roast of James Franco.Overall on cable TV Monday night, Raw ranked #2 in overall viewers behind football and #2 in the key male demos behind the Comedy Central roast.Similar to TNA Impact being affected by Week 1 of college football last Thursday, it appears Raw's older demo outside of the males 18-49 window checked out, contributing to the ratings decline.

Time to end the Daniel Bryan experiment.

I don't think so. From the reaction here, and around the net it's pretty obvious that this angle is about to fail. Time to pull the trigger, and setup a more traditional Punk-Orton feud with no McMahon involvement(Which is what killed the "Summer of Punk" angle). 

Remember the last time you guys asked for someone to bring back the Torture Rack? It didn't turn out well then, and it ain't gonna turn out well now.

I think you mean Macho Man's diving elbow drop.

Yeah, longest WWE Title reign in modern history, and second biggest merch mover. That turned out great.

What does any of that have to do with Test?

It's funny that everyone today posted about a Dusty finish with Bryan, because at work today I was thinking about how rabid people would be if they redid the finish from HHH/Jericho, with the over excited ref having a borderline fast count, dick HHH berating the poor guy, and Stephanie concern trolling and being passive aggressive. Orton gets handed the title again and celebrates like he just ended the streak to end the show.

This would be fantastic. Especially Orton celebrating like he just ended the streak.

From the Torch...

WWE Raw on Labor Day Monday, September 2 dropped to a 2.85 rating, down 7 percent from last week's 3.07 rating.Raw was tied with the July 1 episode for the lowest rating of the past two months.- Raw fell below four million viewers for the first time since July, averaging 3.936 million viewers, down six percent from last week.Hourly Break Down: Poor start of 3.690 million first hour viewers, 4.146 million second hour viewers, and 3.974 million third hour viewers.- Raw took a hit from Week 1 of the college football season on ESPN and a one-time Comedy Central roast of James Franco.Overall on cable TV Monday night, Raw ranked #2 in overall viewers behind football and #2 in the key male demos behind the Comedy Central roast.Similar to TNA Impact being affected by Week 1 of college football last Thursday, it appears Raw's older demo outside of the males 18-49 window checked out, contributing to the ratings decline.

Time to end the Daniel Bryan experiment.

I don't post enough to know if Gonzalez is being sarcastic here or if he's actually this stupid. Can anyone help?

And what's wrong with being DDP/Luger?

Luger got his ass kicked by the nWo every week, begging the company's real "hero" to help him, then won the title for 5 days and eventually turned heel and joined the nWo.

I have a little higher expectations for Daniel Bryan than that.

Bryan will never be as big as 97 Luger. Who was pretty much the top active face in wrestling during a huge year. You can say Austin, but WWF was still second place. 

I am as big of a Luger fan as anyone here, and his title win on Nitro is still probably a top 5 wrestling moment for me, but Daniel Bryan already has a better long term legacy already and his career is just starting to elevate. I think when it is all said and done, Daniel Bryan will position himself somewhere in between the Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels level and the tippy top Austin/Rock/Hogan/Flair level.

Time has actually helped Luger, as many of his colleagues who unfairly crapped on him have now moved on with their lives. Luger's vastly underrated library from 1988-1991 and some of 1995-1997 has stood strong, and I would hope that someday Vince will bury the hatchet and put in the Hall of Fame (as his legacy is far greater then many men already elected). I think Luger was one of the better overall performers of his generation, but Daniel Bryan is poised to be the leader of his generation and has the potential to be biggest star in this industry in over a decade.

I don't post enough to know if Gonzalez is being sarcastic here or if he's actually this stupid. Can anyone help?

Yes. In the upper right corner of the board under your username, select "My Settings," then "Ignore Preferences." Under "Add a new user to my list," type "Gonzalez," and press "Save Changes." 

• Like 2