DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

Please tell me Cole yelled, "The Prodigal Son has returned!" at some point during Shane McMahon segment. 

BTW, those sneakers Shane was wearing aren't exactly cheap.  This goes at to the first post in this thread. 

Yeah, I definitely think Shane will get a surrogate to fight for him, but Vince adding the Hell In Cell made me pause.  Random stipulation to just throw out there if they're just going to put someone else in.

They have to add to make Brock/Ambrose a gimmick match to be worthwhile, and I think they will at some point.

Nothing else of interest.

Please tell me Cole yelled, "The Prodigal Son has returned!" at some point during Shane McMahon segment.

BTW, those sneakers Shane was wearing aren't exactly cheap. This goes at to the first post in this thread.

Yeah, I definitely think Shane will get a surrogate to fight for him, but Vince adding the Hell In Cell made me pause. Random stipulation to just throw out there if they're just going to put someone else in.

They have to add to make Brock/Ambrose a gimmick match to be worthwhile, and I think they will at some point.

Nothing else of interest.

Brock and Ambrose are having a street fight. It was already announced.

• Like 1

With the hole they booked themselves in, the best thing they could do is:

Ambrose barely sneaks out a victory over Brock

Reigns beats Triple H decisively

Ambrose comes out to congratulate his bro in what he thinks is a WMXX-like moment

Reigns gets pissed he's out there for his moment and spears Ambrose

I am going to have to quote myself a lot from last night but...

DVDVR ‏@D_V_D_V_R  12h12 hours ago

I like that they are booking Mania like it is Extreme Rules. Maybe Bray can be in the Stairs match.
  • Like 2

Actually, I think last night did a bit to salvage 'mania.

Ambrose vs Lesnar is infinitely better than Wyatt in that spot and you know that Ambrose sees this as his chance to deliver and really get in the mix for a permanent top spot.

All booking questions aside, last angle was good. It's going to be a good match, batshit crowd reaction aside. Whatever big picture stuff aside, Reigns and Hunter can adapt and have a good match. Anyone that thinks the crowd reaction for the main is gonna be like Goldberg/Lesnar or the fans are gonna be chanting for Daniel Bryan and CM Punk is probably underestimating how over HHH is these days. Like, business aside it doesn't matter to me if Hunter goes full babyface in the match and him and Reigns go full main event-trope style. The match will be fine.

If it IS Shane vs UT then that's the sort of batshit epic that they usually book well. I liked Sting/Hunter and Hogan/Vince, so if they channel the overbooked insanity it'll be okay.

I dunno...top three matches are compelling. Hoping they separate AJ and Jericho but that's not looking likely. They do need at least one straight workrate singles match. It would be a shame to waste Owens in a multi-man. Figure they'll be a divas three-way, New Day against the League of Nations. I dunno...may be a compelling show.

• Like 1

I'm actually starting to feel  bad for Roman. Maybe that's what WWE wants...sympathy cheers. He seems like a good guy and he is excellent in the ring for someone of his size and look. He's also only a few years in. It hit me when I was watching Fastlane that Brock and Dean have both been wrestling for twice as long as Roman. Some people are ready the day they debut, but most need some time to put it all together. He was not ready for his push. He still needs work on his interviews and his presence. 

This good thing about last night is my interest in Hunter/Reigns just went up considerably. That's the idea.

I was really impressed with how convoluted and confusing the McMahon thing was. It feels like the type of thing they'll show in screenwriting class about how you can overcomplicate a situation, making it very difficult to follow. That being said, it felt like a Mania build.

What was funny with the Shane thing is it started subtle-ish with Shane being shooty about declining ratings and injuries and playing off the generally accepted idea that he was somewhat maneuvered out of decision-making years ago and may or may get along well with his family and then just goes secret blackmail/investor/man in the shadows storyline.

It was like Rock and Hogan having an epic staredown about who is the bigger icon and ten minutes later the nWo kills Rock with a car.

Ambrose vs Lesnar is infinitely better than Wyatt in that spot and you know that Ambrose sees this as his chance to deliver and really get in the mix for a permanent top spot.

If by permanent top spot you mean make Vince angry that the crowd likes him more than Roman still (and probably even moreso) so he jobs all summer you'll be correct. Outside of NXT this company is a complete shit show and seems to want to make the fans angry any time they can.

It's strange because WWE has the ability to get real-time feedback from their audience and change things on the fly that other tv shows don't get the luxury of but seem determined to stay the course no matter what and wait far to long to change things.

It's like if in the "Poochie" Simpsons episode the network just kept promoting and pushing poochie for three seasons instead of writing him out as fast as they

could.

At what point does the idea of pushing a guy to the top that the fans hate and want no part of because, at some point in the future, he'll be the guy the fans love and want more of stop making any God damn sense?  And how long ago did the WWE pass that point?

Exactly.  I was listening to Meltzer and he said they'd get Reigns over at Mania by having Rock get involved, a bunch of other crap, maybe Shawn Michaels (I think that last one was a joke).  What the actual fuck, dudes?  If your "top babyface" needs a parade of other guys to give him the rub every step of the way, maybe take a hint that he's not your top babyface and is never going to be.  Jesus Christ this fucking company.  Roman and Vince are the desperate guy and the fans are the girl that's just not into him.  No matter how hard they try, she's not changing her mind.  This shit is mind boggling. 

If Vince ran Coca Cola, we'd still have New Coke because GOD DAMMIT I'LL TELL THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT

So is Roman becoming Lex Luger at this point?

No way, man.  I was there.  People WANTED Luger to win the belt in 88 and were legit pissed at that screwjob at the Bash.

Why does Charlotte sound like everything she says is a suggestion? There is always an inflection in her tone and she is yelling and shit. It is an interesting promo style to say the least.

Because Charlotte, like Brie and Nikki, has wicked vocal fry.

• Like 1

So 2 thoughts for the undertaker match:  

Either its going to be a hhh/sting or bret/vince style match with austin, michaels, etc etc run ins, or maybe even moves to a multi man match or something wacky (taker turns on vince and vince sends out the "corporate ministry" or some shit. You can do all kinds of attitude era stuff. 

Or.

Undertaker says he won't do it and sides with Shane.  Vince has to find someone to represent him and brings in company man john cena (who is gonna get booed anyway in dallas at mania).  So for one night you can have heel Cena vs. Undertaker.  If Cena is still a bit hurt you can do a goofy run in match then he can take time off after again and come back fresh as a face/tweener like he is now.  It will appease attitude era fans who are going to cheer Undertaker and kids will either not care that Cena is with mcmahon or it just won't matter cause its essentially one night.  

Additionally to the last point I stated, if you can throw a serve in to get HHH aligned with Shane and vince backing Reigns you can put on the HIAC match, have Shane go over, then have HHH go over Reigns as a face.  Then you can have a heel reigns come back through later in the summer on his own as a silent badass (which is the only thing that has worked for him).

Reigns is not turning heel. He's still a top merch seller, they're not gonna turn a top merch seller heel. Really you can use Shane as deus ex machina as to why Reigns remained in the main event picture when the Authority had no reason to not kick him down. Shane used his leverage over his father to give Reigns multiple chances when the Authority kept screwing him over.

Why does Charlotte sound like everything she says is a suggestion? There is always an inflection in her tone and she is yelling and shit. It is an interesting promo style to say the least.

This is why I miss Aj Lee, and Naomi and Sasha should have the mic more because that shit is annoying. 

Yeah, at this point, I have given up up on 80% of the main roster. I am just here for Sasha Banks, Naomi, Becky Lynch, Kevin Owens, and AJ Styles. As soon as their segments are done, I start reading a book or something. 

This is why I miss Aj Lee, and Naomi and Sasha should have the mic more because that shit is annoying. 

Yeah, at this point, I have given up up on 80% of the main roster. I am just here for Sasha Banks, Naomi, Becky Lynch, Kevin Owens, and AJ Styles. As soon as their segments are done, I start reading a book or something. 

You're not alone. I hate it. I was amused when I heard a couple segments about it on NPR. Same with the Your Mom's House podcast.

or just not watching it at all. I turned it off at the commercial break of the New Day match after turning on toward the end of the Shane segment which just watching ten minutes of it seemed too long and killed my interest of watching any more of the show. Not even the New Day could keep me interested.

I think if they keep bringing Shane out every week til Mania it will be diminishing returns and his reaction will be way down by Mania night, so HHH would still be the clear top babyface and at Mania Austin will be #2 with Rock and Taker fighting for the #3 spot.

Edit- Also a sleeper contender for a top babyface spot will be a Takerover:DALLAS highlight package/recap.