DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] OTHER US & UK NOMINATIONS

RIPPA

I guess I'll also have to throw Tommy End's name in the hat since nobody else has done it yet.

What from his singles matches would you recommend? Is much available for free online? I remember a couple of years ago folk were talking him up so I watched a couple of his matches and didn't think he was very good at all, like some US super indy tribute act. Thought the team with Dante worked well though.

Watch his matches in PWG or the PROGRESS SSS16 match against Roderick Strong or the wxw 16 Carat Gold final against Axel Dieter Jr. His tag matches with Chris Hero at the last weekend of EVOLVE shows have also been getting rave reviews, but I haven't seen them yet.

There's very little online. Here's what I could find on the quick. The SSB match is very good:

• Like 1

Does the Spud vs EC3 Hair vs hair match count for last year's tournament (it took place during that eligibility) or towards this year's (it didn't air on TV until this year's one).

And if it does count for this year, does it push Spud, ECIII or both into the tournament?

Some nominations I don't think have came up. These names I've heard of being in a lot of positive stuff. Anyone wanna give further thoughts. I know some have had there names come up, but just want further discussion.

"Speedball" Mike Bailey: I haven't seen that much from him, but what I've seen is really good.

Low-Ki: Basically my question with Ki is just tape total. I know Seguida Caida has him in 2 of there 5 top matches of the year in 2015.

Trevor Lee: I have never seen him, but I've been seeing hype for him constantly.

Matt Sydal: Everything I've seen from Sydal is that he's still Matt Sydal in terms of execution, which means he is really fun.

Drew Gulak: Is he falling off or something? Cause Thatcher has passed him, Busick has gone to the E, and Gulak is just kinda... there? I'd assume he had some stuff worth talking about, right?

As for as guys who might be worth putting in for "He should be there, I guess"

Jay Lethal: He's been the cornerstone of RoH, you'd think he should probably be included, even if it's to be one and doned.

I've only seen a couple of Trevor Lee matches outside of PWG. His PWG work is really polarizing but he's a lot of fun to watch. I'd consider him a low-end entrant from what I've seen. I think he works for a promotion that RandomAct works for/is associated with. I seem to recall him being very positive about Lee's work there.

Definitely agree with Bailey though. I went to bat for him earlier in the thread. Is any of his AAA stuff worth tracking down?

Not a fan of Sydal. He's kind of like Balor in that he's technically crisp but doesn't ever draw me into his matches. Even the BOLA matches people raved about.

I haven't seen anything from Gulak outside of PWG either. He's very much just a guy in PWG. He hasn't had the chance to shine but he hasn't forced their hand either. Definitely my favourite discovery out of last year's tournament though. Has anybody seen his work in CZW, Evolve, or Beyond from the eligible period? 

I love Low Ki to death, but I have seen zero Low Ki matches from this time period. There are still promotions that book him?

I'd definitely pick Busick and Thatcher over Gulak for inclusion as well. Although, I too have only seen his PWG and EVOLVE work. Maybe he had some really good matches in CZW or elsewhere.

Matt Sydal I've liked a lot more over the last few months than at the beginning of last year. Everything I've seen from him in ROH has been mediocre, but I personally loved his BOLA matches and I think his tag team with Ricochet in New Japan is great. I would be in favor of his inclusion.

Two guys I haven't seen mentioned at all yet are Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish. It's hard to judge them individually, because they work as a tag team most of the time, but I think they're actually kind of a bright spot in current day ROH.

I have watches a grand total of 0 Jay Lethal matches in the last year mostly because through all the podcasts I listen to (and I listen to a lot), no one ever mentions him in any way other than to say his finish blows and his manager is terrible. 

The Bucks are everything that is wrong about wrestling and the ultimate expression of the horrors that Shawn Michaels has wrought to the wrestling landscape.  I do not care for them.

I've seen the big Jay Lethal matches over the past year and there was never a time when I was overly impressed. He's gone against Jay Briscoe, Roddy Strong, and Michael Elgin, all guys having pretty good years of their own, and the results weren't very engaging. I've heard people sing his praises but I don't see it.

I'm definitely in for the Bucks. They used Jordans (or just Nikes?) with thumbtacks on the bottom, for fuck's sake! As far as mindless indy style goes, they are the kings. Plus, I almost always enjoy their New Japan matches. I used to hate them but they've grown on me big time over the past year or two.

Will third Jimmy Rave who I think was the best wrestler in the World last year and already has had four really good matches this year, three of which have been online in some form for the world to watch.  

Would also nominate Chip Day who is the Johnny Lawrence to Mike Bailey's Daniel.  Total shit bag heel, who has the matches to boot. Kongo Kong deserves to be nominated just for being an absolutely tremendous big man.  Also feel like Fred Yehi deserves to get a look. Top tier guy so far this year and he put together some really strong performances last year as well.

I would go for Will Ospreay (whether in front of a hundred or a thousand, he's a joy), Marty Scurll (who just has it), Mark Andrews (who is doing great stuff away from TNA), Ricochet (who is as smooth an indy wrestler ever got), Matt Sydal (who has been amazing everytime I've seen him this year), and John Morrison and Drew Galloway (who have been aces & shown there is life away from the E).

Here are the SC reviews from the awesome Ki matches from last year

Ki/Cide v. DHS

Ki v. Dickenson 

Ki v. Drew Galloway

Mysterio v. Ki

I just watched that Hit Squad vs. Homicide/Low Ki match. Man, that was really good.

They made the same "What year is this?" comment on commentary that I did.

Such a shame Low Ki has left almost no bridge unburned.