DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

I loved the Rumble top to bottom and I'm fine that HHH won the title.  Sure beats Jericho.

I was struck by how pedestrian Jericho seemed with HHH in the ring.  Theoretically, they were two Attitude era contemporaries who frequently feuded, yet Old Man Hunter, who has never left the company, seemed like such a bigger deal than Jericho, who "returned just to win the Royal Rumble" according to Cole.

One guy is pushed as the 14 time World Champion and lead heel of the company, the other is a dorky dad figure who spent most of the 2000s fighting over the Intercontinental Championship. 

I'd be surprised if Jericho seemed like H's equal.

They didn't make them as soon as the PPV ended. They made them during the show, and the ends were live editing. Such a weird thing to be upset over.

Stro being stro.

You really don't see the difference between editing during a PPV and uploading footage as is without editing as soon as show is over?

God you are such a troll.

Don't worry Rippa, I know, ignore list.

This may have already been pointed out, but everyone in the Rumble match was an active member of the current roster, and not some legend brought back for a surprise. I hope that's a trend that continues.

They also used almost their entire roster for this show. I checked earlier today and the only active non-injured roster members that were not used in some capacity for this show were Fandango, Fernando and Diego. I would be worried about my future, if I was one of those three guys.

I thought the Matadors were getting retooled? Fandango is dead in the water though. What about Ryder, did I miss him?

They didn't make them as soon as the PPV ended. They made them during the show, and the ends were live editing. Such a weird thing to be upset over.

Stro being stro.

You really don't see the difference between editing during a PPV and uploading footage as is without editing as soon as show is over?

Jesus Christ when did this place get so soft. OMG YOU DON'T AGREE WITH EVERYTHING I SAY I MUST IGNORE YOU shit.

I think we're all missing the most hilarious/terrible part of the entire show: Dean's rebound lariat was officially named THE WACKY LINE.

Didn't Mauro name it the Lunatic Lariat during his Smackdown debut? That's a million times better than the Wacky Line.

Jericho's physique is not a ringing endorsement for DDP Yoga. Dude has lost nearly all definition in his chest and upper body. I never noticed how much muscle mass Jack Swagger has lost too until tonight.

Finally, anyone who said that Brock stiffed Strowman and took it easy on the rest of the Wyatts didn't see some of the Germans Harper took. He landed on his shoulder blades and neck a couple times.

If I had to bet, Jericho is probably doing the yoga but not sticking to the diet very strictly. I can imagine that it's tough to do that while touring with a band and wrestling.

This may have already been pointed out, but everyone in the Rumble match was an active member of the current roster, and not some legend brought back for a surprise. I hope that's a trend that continues.

They also used almost their entire roster for this show. I checked earlier today and the only active non-injured roster members that were not used in some capacity for this show were Fandango, Fernando and Diego. I would be worried about my future, if I was one of those three guys.

I thought the Matadors were getting retooled? Fandango is dead in the water though. What about Ryder, did I miss him?

RIPPA talks about the retooling on the last page.

Ryder wasn't used either, but he's hanging around with the NXT roster nowadays, so I left him out because of that.

They also have David Otunga still listed on the active roster page, but come on...

Stro being stro.

Jesus Christ when did this place get so soft. OMG YOU DON'T AGREE WITH EVERYTHING I SAY I MUST IGNORE YOU shit.

Could be worse, Craig H could be reporting you because his delicate sensibilities were hurt by a screenshot of a woman.

• Like 1

So, anybody want to give odds on Cass/Enzo showing up on Raw to freshen up the tag team ranks.  Who's left to feud with New Day?

Oof. That would be a death slot for them.

We can't be that far off from New Day getting babyfaced anyway.

RIPPA talks about the retooling on the last page.

Ryder wasn't used either, but he's hanging around with the NXT roster nowadays, so I left him out because of that.

They also have David Otunga still listed on the active roster page, but come on...

What is Otunga doing anyway and why isn't he being used as The Authority's stooge/legal counsel? 

I watched most of the show, which is the first one I've seen in a long time. There were some bright glimmers of hope with Ambrose, Sasha, Owens and AJ, but the HHH Rumble win was stuff I was tired of the last time he won - in 2002.

I don't hate Roman that much and do think he has upside, but at some point they have to say this isn't working. It's year 3 now that they are trying to make him the man. It's not helping him or WWE.

I mean, again, it's not that they're making him the man, it's how they're doing it, which is the most busted way possible. They need to commit. This is borrowing from another wrestler, but here's the winning formula for Roman:

Arrive

Raise Hell

Leave

That's it. That's all they need to do and just put that on repeat. What they've done is took away anything organic about how he was getting over, shoved him down the audience's throat, cut his legs out by putting Daniel Bryan in the Royal Rumble, had Vince write his lines, got cold feet at WM and had him lose to Rollins, begin building him up again, make him look like an idiot by dropping the title right after winning it, have him look like an idiot again challenging for the title, finally have him go on a rampage, commit to making him champ, rampages stop, stand there and get chastised by the boss' daughter, lose the title again about a month after losing it. If the do the alternative, which is kick ass, kick ass, kick ass, kick ass, talk a little, kick ass, win the WWE Title at WM, kick ass, kick ass, kick ass, talk a little, kick ass, etc. all the way until now, there's probably not as much gnashing of teeth. Probably...

They just need to drop back and punt and make that motherfucker a heel already.  The way they're doing this run with him as the babyface trying to fight the boss of the company just isn't working for a million different reasons.  It's going to take too much at this point for people to get behind him so just have him turn already.  They can bring The Rock back at WM like they're probably going to do anyway and have him turn on his own family.  What the fuck ever.  They just need to give up this road they're on with this guy because it isn't working. 

-When Naitch threw his jacket on Becky, I was half-expecting her to fall asleep like a parrot.

I actually thought the ref was gonna call the match and say that counted as Flair "throwing in the towel" on Charlotte, kinda like how Arnold Skaaland threw in the towel on Bob Backlund against the Iron Sheik. And, honestly, it made sense to me; It gets the title on Becky without Charlotte actually losing, thus setting up a rematch. 

Then that didn't happen, and I was disappointed.

I loved the Rumble top to bottom and I'm fine that HHH won the title.  Sure beats Jericho.

I was struck by how pedestrian Jericho seemed with HHH in the ring.  Theoretically, they were two Attitude era contemporaries who frequently feuded, yet Old Man Hunter, who has never left the company, seemed like such a bigger deal than Jericho, who "returned just to win the Royal Rumble" according to Cole.

One guy is pushed as the 14 time World Champion and lead heel of the company, the other is a dorky dad figure who spent most of the 2000s fighting over the Intercontinental Championship. 

There's a good reason for that - Jericho isn't. 

Stro being stro.

Would you prefer I call you a gigantic idiot, cause I can do that instead.

How about instead of pointing out the most minor of detail, why not address why this gigantic company can't, I don't know, do the exact same damned thing they did 15 years ago for big shows? Do they not have the budget anymore to have that type of video editing? And if so, why the same hell do they not?

There's a good reason for that - Jericho isn't. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I was a huge Jericho mark in high school and bought all of Fozzy's albums. I don't want to see him in the ring today but I still have a sentimental attachment to the guy. I'd say that I enjoyed Jericho overall but that HHH has had more longevity. 

If Jericho switched things up, he might be a good on-screen character in some capacity though. 

Stro being stro.

How about instead of pointing out the most minor of detail, why not address why this gigantic company can't, I don't know, do the exact same damned thing they did 15 years ago for big shows? Do they not have the budget anymore to have that type of video editing? And if so, why the same hell do they not?

You can call me whatever you want. Maybe, just maybe, they want to show Roman being stunned to see AJ instead of showing a fucking titan tron, which they don't do for anyone else in the Rumble either.

• Like 1

No, it's far better to just be pedantic instead of responding to the actual issue, which you also highlighted. Or better yet, you can just say whatever bullshit Zheroen said, which is par for the course for that guy too. In any event, the actual video in question was a YouTube video put up on the official WWE channel. They're already going through the effort of taking a clip from whatever non-linear editing software they're using, one that would have tracks for the other feeds occurring at that same time, because that's part of how NLE works. It takes seconds to trim out the clip you want to save and then upload to YouTube. This particular point wasn't addressed.

I don't even know who Zheroen is. They're uploading footage as is because they knew it would make you grumpy that you didn't get to see AJ's titan tron. How often do they use alternate angles and shots in short Youtube highlights packages?

This is such a stupid argument. They didn't miss his entrance, they just chose to not show him or the tron until he actually walked out from the back. The shot was Roman Reigns waiting to see who was coming out next, music hits, it's not familiar so Reigns tries to figure it out and is confused, then cut to AJ walking out. Y'all act like they didn't show AJ Styles until he got in the ring.

When WWE does the thing that makes sense, people complain about it being predictable. When they change it up, people complain that they're just throwing shit at the wall. Obviously, WWE has a core that isn't going anywhere no matter what they should do, so they should just do what they want to do and ignore critics. Gear their business so they can survive on that core. Which is basically what they've done the past couple of years.

Nothing makes sense with Triple H as champion in 2016.  It's like Jeff Jarrett as champion in 2006.

AJ Styles first WWE t-shirt sold out in less than 24 hours.

http://shop.wwe.com/AJ-Styles-%22I-Am-Phenomenal%22-Authentic-T-Shirt/R3500,default,pd.html

• Like 1