DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

AFAIK, they never tried.

They had, iirc, the most cap room in the NFL last off-season, they could have put an offer out there.

The Colts weren't even remotely close to having the most cap space last offseason

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

EDIT - Make sure you click on 2015 since the link defaulted back to 2016

I stand corrected.

Except I'm sitting on my ass

I was having this conversation with a coworker this morning, and was wondering if I'm crazy.  The Browns should go completely and totally out of the box with their next GM/Coach.  I don't know if they should try the NFL equivalent to moneyball/analytics but if they are going to lose, they might as well try to lose differently.  I've been rooting for that stupid team for most of my life, and it is just an endless cycle of the same ol' bullshit. 

Moneyball stuff is a lot harder to quantify in football. So many important elements just will never show up in numbers, advanced or otherwise.

The Browns need a clear plan, and to stop starting over every other season.

The Browns need a clear plan, and to stop starting over every other season.

The problem with this is that they can have all the plans they want, but if the people executing those plans are Mike Pettine, Ray Farmer, and Johnny Fucking Forty Ounce they aren't going to go anywhere.  For what it is worth, I don't think Mike Pettine was terrible, he just was in an impossible situation where his best player is a pot head who got banned from the league and his quarterback can't be trusted not to end up in rehab.  Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, and Jesus could be coaching that team and still failed.  The owner is a criminal, who had the audacity to say he picked Johnny Manziel, because a hobo suggested it.  I have a hard and fast rule about future defining decisions, don't trust the judgement of someone who's life decisions have led them to sleep on a sidewalk.  I'm sure that friendly hobo has a lot to offer someone in the right circumstances, but why the hell would a fucking billionaire trust his judgement about the future of his business? 

Supposedly the lawyer they just put in charge is "an analytics guy"

But no matter what - their problem is that they have meddlesome ownership and nothing is going to change that

I was having this conversation with a coworker this morning, and was wondering if I'm crazy.  The Browns should go completely and totally out of the box with their next GM/Coach.  I don't know if they should try the NFL equivalent to moneyball/analytics but if they are going to lose, they might as well try to lose differently.  I've been rooting for that stupid team for most of my life, and it is just an endless cycle of the same ol' bullshit. 

That's what we've been doing in Jacksonville and losing differently is still depressing as hell, especially when you know you won't win more than 5 games a season

Well that is also saying Gruden is a good coach just because they made the playoffs.

Because he was shitty last year.

And also the Skins didn't beat a team with a .500 record this year.

So yeah... hire Hue Jackson Cleveland

Oh man, Hue.  Yeah.  I assume he might be attractive since he kinda kept Dalton from barfing on himself and then there's that 8-8 year in Oakland which was mostly a confluence of all sorts of weird crap that was not sustainable.

But yeah, hey.  Go on and get your Hue on.  Just pray to god your starting QB doesn't go down or else you will know the pain of a Carson Palmer trade 2.0.  Fucking Hue.

Regarding the Browns doing something different with their next coach, just try to remember what happened when the Bears tried "something different" by hiring Trestman and his band of idiots. Yes, this is not the moneyball approach that was mentioned, but it was something other than looking at NFL or NCAA guys.

• Like 1

Regarding the Browns doing something different with their next coach, just try to remember what happened when the Bears tried "something different" by hiring Trestman and his band of idiots. Yes, this is not the moneyball approach that was mentioned, but it was something other than looking at NFL or NCAA guys.

They should hire whoever's the best and brightest at Flying J because fuck it, they're the fake Browns, how could it be worse?

Miami has asked for permission to talk to Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia, and Anthony Lynn.

So, I'm guessing Tannenbaum just wanted to limit his search to people in the division. 

Coughlin statement

“I met with John Mara and Steve Tisch this afternoon, and I informed them that it is in the best interest of the organization that I step down as head coach. I strongly believe the time is right for me and my family, and as I said, the Giants organization.

“It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as head coach of the New York Football Giants. This is a not a sad occasion for me. I have spent 15 years with this organization as an assistant and head coach and was fortunate to be part of three Super Bowl winning teams. A Lombardi Trophy every five years is an achievement in which we all take great pride.

“Obviously, the past three years have not been what any of us expect, and as head coach, I accept the responsibility for those seasons

“I think it has been evident these last 12 years here how much pride I take in representing this franchise. I am gratified and proud that we were able to deliver two more Lombardi trophies to the display case in our lobby during that time. That is a tribute to our players and staff, and it was truly fulfilling to be the leader of those teams.

“I appreciate the support of John and his family and Steve and his family, and of Jerry Reese and his staff. I think our organization is a great representation of what I mean when I talk about ‘team’.

“Finally, I would be remiss if I did not thank my wife Judy and our four children and their spouses and our 11 (soon to be 12) grandchildren. None of this would have been possible without their unconditional love and support.”

• Like 3

Dolphins are interviewing Mike Shannan............

WHAT PART OF...

QrujnXB.gif

DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

I tweeted yesterday that I didn't care if the Dolphins hired the retreadiest retread from Retreadtown, but they needed someone for whom this wasn't their first NFL head coaching gig and wouldn't need to learn on the job as the last seven(!) coaches have had to.

Be careful what you ask for...

I said yesterday how dumb Giants fans are

The amount of comments that I see being all WHAT A DUMB DECISION TO LET COUGHLIN GO!!!!! is is just proving my point.