DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Your point being what exactly?

That they'd never make a movie about Eddy without trying to erase that, or maybe never make a movie about Eddy because of it.

EDIT: Not to mention Benoit in the narrative, who I'm sure will have a movie made about him in 20-30 years that's on some straight Foxcatcher shit. 

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That they'd never make a movie about Eddy without trying to erase that, or maybe never make a movie about Eddy because of it.

EDIT: Not to mention Benoit in the narrative, who I'm sure will have a movie made about him in 20-30 years that's on some straight Foxcatcher shit. 

That's my whole point though. How in 2016 do you act like the these things that millions of people know about don't exist and try to walk away from them? You're not going to do a movie about Eddie Guerrero because you're going to depict things people already know?...Right. Hell, we already know people take creative license with films. They've been doing for a century at least. People believe Mommie Dearest as the truth. People believe What's Love Got to Do With It as the truth. So on and so forth. You want to leave out that Guerrero and Benoit were on copious amounts of steroids? You know what? Leave that out. You've been trying to control the narrative around your company for so long...it would make all the sense in the world to do it now and make money, which their film division has failed to do for several years.

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They still have to think about their bottom line -- running their wrestling company -- and any kind of backlash is not on the menu. You and me would take that dive, just to see a great movie, but WWE sure as hell won't. 

Backlash from what? Lying about something, which they do constantly anyway?

Running a film division is part of their bottom line, and it's losing money for no other reason than just putting talent in "films" that absolutely no one cares about outside a handful of people.

The answer to turning it around is right there, and they can actually make a profit off of it and have something to brag about as oppose to cutting their legs off in PPV trying to do some network.

RE: The Sully trailer

Did Sullenberger really get given a hard time afterwards, or is that just something Eastwood came up for the film for the sake of the DRAMAH~!, though?

I never heard of anyone openly criticizing him (Well, how can you? Considering the circumstances.) But then I never followed the case too closely.  

On 6/30/2016 at 6:46 AM, piranesi said:

As far as I remember that report didn't try to say he made the wrong decision. It just noted that in the aftermath they ran a bunch of simulations since it was not a scenario anyone had any experience with, and the results of the simulations where they tried to make it back were successful.  But everyone involved stressed that there is no way he could have known that and likely shouldn't have risked it.

This reeks of Clint  Eastwook trying to make a parable about evil government regulators prosecuting a common-man hero because, you know, empty chair.

Yeah, that's kind of what it seems like. "Perhaps...perhaps you should have turned around and tried to get back to the airport."

Yeah, perhaps, but he did what he did and, hey, no one died. So, you can't really argue with his actions. 

And I don't think even uptight government bureaucrats would be giving him grief over it or calling him inept or giving him real pressure over it. The man was widely considered a brave, beloved hero at the time.

Maybe Eastwood is trying slightly too hard? "OMG, they might disgrace this poor man and put him in jail!"

Um, no. That would never have happened. 

When Sully found out that during the inquiry there was even speculation that he could or should have done things differently, I'm sure he had a moment of, "What? Oh, fuck them!" I'm not surprised that they have to magnify that to create a conflict for Eastwood's latest Movie of the Week dreck. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Didn't Greg just finish up a study a month or two ago that showed the film division doesn't actually lose them anything?

The division itself is not making really money and underperforming. They don't invest much in it anymore to lose the company anything.

http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=195268#p6172565 

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2016/05/is-wwe-studios-profitable.html

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

When Sully found out that during the inquiry there was even speculation that he could or should have done things differently, I'm sure he had a moment of, "What? Oh, fuck them!" I'm not surprised that they have to magnify that to create a conflict for Eastwood's latest Movie of the Week dreck. 

What he said.

While I like the idea of a movie about the Miracle on the Hudson, Eastwood still has a hand in it and it seems like it is Clint's new life's mission to be the right wing foil to Oliver Stone with each guy taking a notable American figure and turning them into an ideological urban legend or a folk hero. 

Stone has done it with Jim Garrison and Eric Snowden and now Clint is doing it with Chris Kyle and Chelsey Sullenberger.

5 hours ago, Reed said:

RE: The Sully trailer

Did Sullenberger really get given a hard time afterwards, or is that just something Eastwood came up for the film for the sake of the DRAMAH~!, though?

I never heard of anyone openly criticizing him (Well, how can you? Considering the circumstances.) But then I never followed the case too closely.  

All I remember was that everyone said he was an American hero, and wanted (correctly in my opinion) to shower him with praise. . . 

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

All I remember was that everyone said he was an American hero, and wanted (correctly in my opinion) to shower him with praise. . . 

Everyone did.  NTSB ran simulations and the plane survived heading back to an airport less than 50% of the time, and that was with the pilots knowing it was coming.  The simulations they ran without the pilots knowing, it was 0%.  The Official NTSB Report validated that Sullenberger made the right call and saved the life of everyone on the plane.  The official reports don't back anything that is in that trailer.

So yeah, Fuck Eastwood.

• Like 3

To be fair - the movie is based off Sully's memoir which apparently hinted at him dealing with second guessing and red tape (though it seems it was across his entire career and not just for the Hudson flight)

Sully also said he supports the movie 100%

On 7/1/2016 at 7:39 PM, Raziel403 said:

Everyone did.  NTSB ran simulations and the plane survived heading back to an airport less than 50% of the time, and that was with the pilots knowing it was coming.  The simulations they ran without the pilots knowing, it was 0%.  The Official NTSB Report validated that Sullenberger made the right call and saved the life of everyone on the plane.  The official reports don't back anything that is in that trailer.

So yeah, Fuck Eastwood.

Wasn't there the time Sullenberger testified in front of congress about his pension getting cut in half?

Corporate airlines famously treat their pilots like crap.

Hey, if you want to go "dark" maybe that was a direction to go in?

But then that probably didn't jive with Eastwood's "government bureaucrats are evil!" right-wing talking point. 

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Clea Duvall must REALLY want to have NPR and the Huffington Post just hammer her into the ground for making a movie where the entire cast is rich and white.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:03 AM, RIPPA said:

Two deal breakers spitting great lines in a movie that could be fucking awesome.  Son of a bitch.

18 hours ago, Guest said:

Clea Duvall must REALLY want to have NPR and the Huffington Post just hammer her into the ground for making a movie where the entire cast is rich and white.

How about for just making a movie that looks unbelievably terrible?

• Like 1