DVDVR Message Board

NHL - 2015/16 - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

The solution is to stop having an all star game, but failing that, letting people vote more than once on the same email (or other ID) has never made the slightest goddamn sense. The reason rigging the results is so easy is all you have to do is get a few hundred people to take advantage of stuff like 30 vote, daily limit stuff. Not only is the system easy to rig to a goofy result, it's actually built to encourage it.

• Like 1

I for one eagerly await the kid the Isles drafted from China to make the NHL so he can get voted in with 500 million votes.

New random thought: I think team mascots should also be eligible to be voted in. Bailey of the Kings vs Spartacat of the Sens in a battle of lions would be epic must see TV.

Edit: Even better: kegs on both benches!

@georgerichards

#njDevils win the Hanukkah game w/ an on-ice Menorah prior to #FlaPanthers game...

Am I the only one who thinks the Devils celebrating Hanukkah or Christmas is... weird?
  • Like 1

@georgerichards

#njDevils win the Hanukkah game w/ an on-ice Menorah prior to #FlaPanthers game...

Am I the only one who thinks the Devils celebrating Hanukkah or Christmas is... weird?

I thought it was funny that there were prob two of maybe 4 teams that would commemorate the holiday, along w rangers and islanders.

@georgerichards

I thought it was funny that there were prob two of maybe 4 teams that would commemorate the holiday, along w rangers and islanders.

Isles and Devils are both doing an ugly sweater tshirt giveaway btw.

My god the Canes goaltending is terrible. Ward is an AHL goalie and Lack seems to be worse. 

The defensive game they played against Dallas was airtight last night. They dominated the game and rallied back from being down 5-1 at the end of the second, only to have it wasted at the end by shitty goaltending. 

But there is a stat that bodes well for the team's future: Canes players were given a total of 15 points last night, 11 of those points were from players under the age of 23 or younger. The future is bright. 

Also: fucking Hurricanes. 

• Like 1

Yeah, like a couple of first round draft picks. Tampa can't be that crazy, can they?

Better to get a pile of guys if you don't think you can re-sign Stamkos, who is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

One thing with Tampa, we've got more than enough evidence to say Steve Yzerman is a pretty shrewd GM who isn't going to get fleeced. Also think it's beyond desperate to see certain elements of the media act like Toronto is the only viable destination here when even if you make the trade there's a pretty good chance you're renting Stamkos until the offseason anyway.

I can't even remember the last player on Stamkos' level in terms of perfomance and age combined to hit free agency in the NHL. It would be really hard to even find a recent comparable or to predict how high the bidding goes. Assuming he doesn't re-sign in Tampa (which seems unlikely as this drags on), it seems pretty certain he'd actually go to free agency because there's not much to gain from signing before that period at that point.

Yeah, like a couple of first round draft picks. Tampa can't be that crazy, can they?

Better to get a pile of guys if you don't think you can re-sign Stamkos, who is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

In a cap world with only X contracts allowed, it's really, really not. There's a reason these sorts of trade rumors amount to nothing 199 times out of 200. That's part of the problem. You can't trade Stamkos for JVR, Kadri, (NHL player), (minor league prospect), and a 1st round draft pick because it simply doesn't work under the CBA unless you are prepared to make Kadri and JVR and (minor league prospect) core players for the next 6 years. Since Tampa is actually trying to win a Stanley Cup that doesn't seem feasible and I actually think it's more likely you'd see some team dump a ton of picks on them and maybe two guys back.

Finally watched the Detroit/Washington game from Tuesday night last night (NHL Gamecenter delayed the streaming version by 2 days because it was on NBCSN originally). Terrific game with amazing goaltending at both ends, particularly from Jimmy Howard for Detroit. It went to a shootout where Howard put on one of his patented "I'm here in name only" performances stopping neither of the two shots he faced.

But all that's not what I really want to talk about. There's been a lot of talk of late about increasing scoring. One of the solutions frequently mentioned is calling a tighter game to get more power plays. That's not exactly my favorite solution but it's something I've come around to of late. 30 years ago, teams got 4-5 power plays every game and it didn't seem like a problem. Now it seems there are lots of games where teams get 2, maybe 3, power plays. That's just not enough. And Tuesday's game was a great example - Detroit got 0 power plays through regulation and the first 2-1/2 minutes of the 3-on-3 (Washington got 4 in regulation and an abbreviated one in 3-on-3). That's nonsense. That 0 power plays included two separate plays where a Detroit puck carrier was high-sticked in the face directly in view of multiple officials with no penalty called. One of those plays resulted in the Detroit player busted open and bleeding all over the place, but with no penalty. That's just so ridiculous.

On a side note: Teams have begun taking a lot of liberties with Dylan Larkin, Detroit's dynamic rookie (leading the Wings in scoring, lead the NHL in +/-). PK Subban ran him into the boards last night, for example. Detroit needs to look around the room and find a guy - or go out and get a guy - who can defend Larkin. I know that's outside the normal Red Wings mentality but Larkin is a special player - the best Red Wings rookie since Lidstrom/Fedorov/Vladdy - and needs to be protected as such. Justin Abdelkader took on that role against Subban, drilling him right after Subban's hit, but it can't be Abdelkader most nights. He's too important as a top-line forward. It's gotta be somebody else but I dunno who that would be.