DVDVR Message Board

NHL - 2015/16 - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

Oilers 10-6 at home, next 5 games against divisional rivals, then somewhere around that time there can be serious discussion about that McDavid kid coming back. This is a really good chance to define what this team is right now, the line between fringe playoff team and bottom feeding is so thin right now.

Got 3 jerseys for Christmas: Sabres Jack Eichel, Whalers Ron Francis and Whalers Kevin Dineen. The last two are my all time childhood hockey heroes, now I just need to find a place that does Sean Burke and Geoff Sanderson ones. As for books I got the two most recent Don Cherry ones, the Derrick Sanderson and Theo Fleury autobiographies, the Wyshnewski book Mark recommended and a book on 70's hockey.

There is a rumor going around that the Isles are going to bring back Sparky the Dragon. As a lover of wacky mascots this would be the best Christmas gift ever. My new NHL mascot power rankings:

1) Sabretooth

2) Sparky

3) Youppi!

4) The Flames mascot that once got it's tounge ripped off.

5) Thunderbug (solely for that time he trolled that Ruins fan)

Hopefully to be added to the list in 2017: Badaboom.

Eichel with a 4 point night in his first game in Boston. Also O-O-O-O'Reilly (auto parts) had 3 points. You really don't hear people complaining about his contract these days for some reason.

I realize this is a totally lost fight before it starts, but east/west conferences are a hold over from a bygone era of travel and regional television that have no relevance whatsoever in modern sports and pretty much all north American leagues should just go to a "best teams overall" format. The only exception would be the NFL due to the 16-game schedule making the need for some smaller sectioning because every team can't play every other team. But in hockey, basketball, and to a degree baseball divisions, it's just a "thing that used to make sense".

I realize this is a totally lost fight before it starts, but east/west conferences are a hold over from a bygone era of travel and regional television that have no relevance whatsoever in modern sports and pretty much all north American leagues should just go to a "best teams overall" format. The only exception would be the NFL due to the 16-game schedule making the need for some smaller sectioning because every team can't play every other team. But in hockey, basketball, and to a degree baseball divisions, it's just a "thing that used to make sense".

I totally agree. I've said for years that I think the NHL playoffs would be way more interesting if it was #1vs #16, #2 vs. #15 and so on. For those complaining that you would lose out on those division rivalry matchups you could get a Montreal/Boston cup final or Philly/Pittsburgh.

I'm not even going to pretend I'm happy about Kassian being an Oiler. Not at all. I'm not. He's a bad hockey player who lacks toughness and courage which is literally the opposite of the current media narrative. Despite the fact he was literally traded for this reason from Vancouver. I want nothing at all to do with him but he's here now so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, I wish Ben Scrivens the best. He was a total class act here all the way, and he's a phenomenal guy in the community. Hopefully he finds his game again and has some success yet to come.

• Like 1

Oilers follow up a 6-game winning streak with winning 1 of the next seven. Well, I guess you could spin that as them going .500 over 14 games, right?

Anyway, the goaltending has gone ice cold and the injuries that weren't taking a toll when they were winning are clearly doing so now. Please come back Oscar Klefbom (and McDavid too obviously, but Jesus, people that don't watch the Oilers much have no clue how much they miss Klefbom).

Don't look now but the Red Wings lost to a last place team.

Perfect storm. Third game in four nights, long flight, goalie standing on his head, Zetterberg nearly getting blinded in the first period. Still, not a stellar effort from Detroit for sure.

Both Cherry books get a hearty thumbs up. I would love to hang out at a bar with him and hear him tell stories. That would be a blast I tell'ya!!!