DVDVR Message Board

Raw 8-24-15 - Post-Summerslam Show

MGFanJay

I forget who said it earlier, but New Day's E&C and the Dudleyz' Dudleyz need a Hardyz stand-in. Anyone know how Uso #1 is recovering? 

It was me, and that's actually a really good suggestion.  Props.

It's easy enough for the Wyatts to just beat down any dude and that person joins Ambrose/Reigns

It doesn't have to be SHIELD 2.0~!

Just as long as they can have good matches and aren't doing anything at the moment

So basically Cesaro

• Like 3

Reigns and Ambrose are going to team with Rowan if he's healthy right? It's not a sexy choice but it makes sense and I wouldn't mind seeing him and this new big dude have a hoss off.

They need vignettes of Rowan tending to his winery or going on a jazz flute tour or whatever other bullshit they stuck on him to explain his absence first. Maybe Bray pissed in his grapes or something.

I wouldn't entirely rule out Crowe.  What's he's doing now clearly isn't working, but if he went back to what worked for him in the indies (minus the stiffness) he could be rebuilt.  Of course that could take time and given the impatience of the writers they don't have time for that.  I'd be fine with Rowan joining Reigns/Ambrose as the pissed off former Wyatt who got left behind.  Make an analogy about a wounded horse being put to pasture by Bray and he can come back full of anger.

And generally I don't mind the Bellas.  Brie is the hippie that's married to Daniel and Nikki has improved a good amount.  But they do need to step aside for a bit or just have nothing to do with the NXT women.  Just stop with the team matches and have title matches again.  The crowd had the intention of saying "Fuck the Bellas!" and that's fine.  But the reaction was poor and if anything hurt everybody else by association.

I think Balor would work as the high flying bump guy replacement for Rollins in the Shield. He's got enough buzz from NXT where it would be a big deal, but I'm not sure how he's supposed to counter a 6'8 350 lb guy. Rowan makes the most sense, but it should be a one off and not a full time team.

Obviously Balor would be the best choice for the fan girls though lol.

It's easy enough for the Wyatts to just beat down any dude and that person joins Ambrose/Reigns

It doesn't have to be SHIELD 2.0~!

Just as long as they can have good matches and aren't doing anything at the moment

So basically Cesaro

Cesaro has his feud with Owens, but Cesaro as a hired gun sounds interesting.

Sadly, I see an inexplicable face turn for Big Show where he comes out to help Reigns and Ambrose because the exact kind of dumb, nonsensical shit WWE would do.

It would be neat if a Wyatt member actually won a feud. It ain't happening here but in their time on the main roster, have they come out of a feud on the "winning" side once? WWE doesn't do a whole lot of clean endings to feuds outside of John Cena though. I guess their battles with The Shield could count but that was more due to The Shield's implosion than Wyatts beating them down.

Bray Wyatt definitively won his feud with Daniel Bryan. Didn't they also beat the Shield twice before the Shield were sidetracked by the NAO and Kane?

Wyatt also won the blowaway match against Dean in their singles feud. And most of the matches, period, I think. And he whipped up on Jericho after losing the first match.

The Wyatts were 3-1 against The Shield, I believe. The only match The Shield won was on Main Event (and it's predictably terrific). They won the EC classic and then the Raw match where Rollins left because Dean and Reigns were bickering. I think there was a fourth battle at some point, too, and they won that. Harper/Rowan came up short against The Usos in their quest for tag gold before they went their separate ways.

Bray has only really lost feuds to Cena and The Undertaker. There's no shame in losing to those guys. Even having feuds with those guys when you're this new to the game (at least in this persona) really says how much faith the WWE has in him.

Of course, the narrative somehow is: "Bray never wins and doesn't say anything that means anything as a result." It's one of my biggest pet peeves, since it's completely not true in any fashion whatsoever.

• Like 3

I feel pretty sure Owens is moving onto to feud with Ryback over the IC title (based on the events of Monday and him beating Cesaro clean on Sunday)

I feel pretty sure Owens is moving onto to feud with Ryback over the IC title (based on the events of Monday and him beating Cesaro clean on Sunday)

I hope that's the case.

If it is, then yes, get Cesaro into this feud.

Imagine that, Cesaro, the Swiss Superman, is the one who can actually hurt Braun.

Wyatt also won the blowaway match against Dean in their singles feud. And most of the matches, period, I think. And he whipped up on Jericho after losing the first match.

The Wyatts were 3-1 against The Shield, I believe. The only match The Shield won was on Main Event (and it's predictably terrific). They won the EC classic and then the Raw match where Rollins left because Dean and Reigns were bickering. I think there was a fourth battle at some point, too, and they won that. Harper/Rowan came up short against The Usos in their quest for tag gold before they went their separate ways.

Bray has only really lost feuds to Cena and The Undertaker. There's no shame in losing to those guys. Even having feuds with those guys when you're this new to the game (at least in this persona) really says how much faith the WWE has in him.

Of course, the narrative somehow is: "Bray never wins and doesn't say anything that means anything as a result." It's one of my biggest pet peeves, since it's completely not true in any fashion whatsoever.

Nobody won that Dean feud. It was horrible and both came out looking significantly worse than before. I would say it killed off both of their chances from being main eventers for the foreseeable future. The matches were terrible and the booking somehow worse. Again, they beat the Shield via the latter's implosion rather than outright winning. Luke Harper always seemed to be on the losing side when two workers would go their separate ways. It's not like WWE isn't capable of pushing heels in a strong way, especially big gnarly looking motherfuckers. Look at what they did with Rusev.

So, he won the brutal feud with Ambrose and previous to that he went 2 for 1 against a broken down part-timer who is a shell of his former self. Sweet. The only feud I would argue he came out looking better than when he went in was the Bryan feud because Bryan did everything to get him over in that Rumble match. But the real standout moment from his time with Bryan was the cage match turn and the amazing crowd reaction Bryan got.

• Like 1

I would say it killed off both of their chances from being main eventers for the foreseeable future. 

I don't think that's true for Ambrose. The crowd was ready to accept him at that level again when he was feuding with Rollins a few months ago. In fact, I bet you could elevate him back to that point right now, and the crowd would be fine with it. 

Ambrose is one of the most over dudes on the show. There's a difference between "broken down old guy who shows up once a year" and "The Undertaker." Like, a gigantic one. To say the least. Bray beating Ambrose (last match was the ambulance match that involved the awesome Ambrose emerging from dry ice thing) to lead to The Undertaker but coming up short is fine and great. I can't see why/how anyone would have a problem with that. In any way whatsoever. That's how this stuff works.

The broken down guy was in reference to Jericho. He looked dreadful in the Wyatt matches. His match against Neville was a huge improvement.

I would also say having him lose to Undertaker was counterproductive. WWE is short on stars, they need to elevate guys. Bray is certainly an option but every time he's about to break through he loses definitively. He's lost his mystique in a lot of ways. Hopefully Braun Strowman's callup helps re-establish the family.

If my Twitter page means anything, Michael Cole is doing one of his sit down interviews with the New Day and it looks incredible.  Animated gifs for years.   Wish I could figure how to make this a GIF

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CNWrjtIVEAAEmfS.mp4

See the August wrestling thread in the general folder. It's a really fun interview.

Fair enough. I just don't think he's looked great in victory too often and has looked really weak in defeat. That wasn't my original argument, I know. That Cena last man standing match hurt my soul. At the time, it felt like the box he was stuck in should've had the ol' OVW stamp on it.