DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I have no clue if this plays in, but my character dresses in all black, and I'm pretty good at deathmatches.

I never play in deathmatches (I think I've played in two team deathmatches before last night and I think I've been in one regular deathmatch ever), but I can see where it could sorta help your Freemode battle skills. There's too many other players on the map (usually) to keep up with, and it seems like a lot of people "get the draw" on me. I could be setting up to kill the guy in front of me when someone would sneak behind me and cap me.

It was a frustrating experience, as most of last night was. That's the way it seems to work - either a night is incredibly frustrating or fun as hell, no real in between. That's kind of part of the adventure of it.

The prison match is fun, but everyone else always gets the toys and I never do.

In the deathmatches, I'd just run around trying to set up for the next kill - I like trying to take cover - but everytime I'd set up to kill person A, person B would kill me. And a ton of those Freemode kills last night were in situations where I thought I had enough cover but the guy killed me anyway, so something's going on.

Pay your dues, kid.

No one here got jumped in, man.  We all signed up. :lol:

Anything goes in private sessions.  When out in the wild, remember the color of the flag you fly.

Once we've made them all scatter? Then I've gotta put some more work in to get the LSPD tint on my AP pistol!

And I've got no problem with that since you guys run with each other regularly and have an understanding about how things go down.   Like you said, you guys crack shots at each other AFTER everyone else has been run off.

I myself am trying to get to 1000K's for my Seven Deadly Sins tattoo and heashots on crew count towards the total, but again we have an understanding about that sort of thing.  Most of our crew on crew mayhem happens in deathmatches.  I may not come in first but my K/D ratio rarely dips below 1.0.

I have that happen a lot in death matches: im set for a kill and someone (usualy JT) snipes me first.

What i really hate in death matches is to be shooting someone four or five times and they shoot back and kill you.

Death natches more than anything give me controller throwing rage.

The team deathmatches with jstout were weird.  He was far and away the highest ranked player.  I was second and about 70 levels below him.  Everybody else was pretty far below me, so you'd think we'd have the advantage on weapons alone.  Didn't matter though, because we got our asses kicked 3 times in a row - like 35 to 10 kicked.  Didn't help that we'd always get one guy with 12 deaths and no kills.

Yeah jstout, you're pretty damn visible.  at least I could always tell who you were, even if I couldn't see your ID.

Is anybody else losing ammunition after forced + pickups deathmatches?  I've lost all my sniper rifle ammo twice now.  Cost me 150K so far.

You know, thinking about it, I have no clue how I'm kinda becoming the "Deathmatch guy" (outside of James, who'se really much more effective then me in terms of kill ratio) when I do the fucking dumbest things in deathmaches. Just in the last few days I've killed James by running him over with a Lawnmower, and I won the last Deathmatch last night by Stabing Phil to death with a Knife in a deathmach with Pistols.

The team deathmatches with jstout were weird.  He was far and away the highest ranked player.  I was second and about 70 levels below him.  Everybody else was pretty far below me, so you'd think we'd have the advantage on weapons alone.  Didn't matter though, because we got our asses kicked 3 times in a row - like 35 to 10 kicked.  Didn't help that we'd always get one guy with 12 deaths and no kills.

Yeah jstout, you're pretty damn visible.  at least I could always tell who you were, even if I couldn't see your ID.

Is anybody else losing ammunition after forced + pickups deathmatches?  I've lost all my sniper rifle ammo twice now.  Cost me 150K so far.

I'm changing outfits next time I'm in the game.

And that's my M.O., I've talked about it before - I'm the highest ranked player in the game who sucks the most. The other guys I play GTA with joke about it all the time. I'm terrible at Freemode, horrible at deathmatches, I used to be good at racing, but that's gone. I'm not a bad hand in a survival, and can generally hold my own in a mission.

I really think my rank puts a target on me - I've been in situations before where I'm pretty sure I get screwed with 'cause it's someone wanting to screw with a high-ranking player. And like I mentioned, there was a Level 9 guy who had me and a Level 70 friend on the ropes somehow before we figured it out. I don't think Melraz is above Level 40 and there's no one I'd rather have on my side in Freemode. The guy dominating me last night was a 90-something.

I made my rank constantly doing races when the game first came out, when races payed really well in money and RP.

What weapons do you guys use in deathmatches and in Freemode? I love my Advanced Rifle in survivals, but I'm wondering if that automatic shotgun might be the better weapon for player-on-player violence.

You know, thinking about it, I have no clue how I'm kinda becoming the "Deathmatch guy" (outside of James, who'se really much more effective then me in terms of kill ratio) when I do the fucking dumbest things in deathmaches. Just in the last few days I've killed James by running him over with a Lawnmower, and I won the last Deathmatch last night by Stabing Phil to death with a Knife in a deathmach with Pistols.

We were all kinda goofing off while playtesting Mark's map.   I could've shot you off of that lawnmower or just plain ol' ran away since your top speed couldn't have been more than two miles an hour, but I wanted to see if I could knock you off the seat with the golf club.  FAIL~! 

Now I know better.

I lost quite a few rounds of AR ammo after running Mark's map. 

Still, I love the Forced + Pickups weapon stips.  Without them, highest ranked guy with the best weapons will usually win.  Pistols level the playing field.  Otherwise you have guys finding someplace to camp and waiting for your approach... with the route to the clearest shot at him covered in sticky bombs.

Philosophically, I am not the deathmatch guy because I am not really super competitive.  It doesn't really bother me if I win or lose.

However, I will give the best accounting of myself, disasterous events or deliberate jobbing out not withstanding. 

What i really hate in death matches is to be shooting someone four or five times and they shoot back and kill you..

You use Assisted Aim a lot and that only targets the torso center mass, my friend, if you don't flip your thumbstick to aim for the head.   Guys wearing vests can soak up four or five pistol shots but there is still a little knockback effect.

When I am armed with a pistol. I always go into Free Aim to try to get a headshot after using AA chest shots to stagger a guy wearing a vest.  The basic pistol is underrated.  It still has stopping power and one headshot will still smoke you.

Well you are the king of stealing kills. Like Dolfan and I will be brawling or taking shots at each other and you will run in and get the kill shot.

And I still don't know where you found that fucking knife.

• Like 1

I'm changing outfits next time I'm in the game.

And that's my M.O., I've talked about it before - I'm the highest ranked player in the game who sucks the most. The other guys I play GTA with joke about it all the time. I'm terrible at Freemode, horrible at deathmatches, I used to be good at racing, but that's gone. I'm not a bad hand in a survival, and can generally hold my own in a mission.

I really think my rank puts a target on me - I've been in situations before where I'm pretty sure I get screwed with 'cause it's someone wanting to screw with a high-ranking player. And like I mentioned, there was a Level 9 guy who had me and a Level 70 friend on the ropes somehow before we figured it out. I don't think Melraz is above Level 40 and there's no one I'd rather have on my side in Freemode. The guy dominating me last night was a 90-something.

I made my rank constantly doing races when the game first came out, when races payed really well in money and RP.

What weapons do you guys use in deathmatches and in Freemode? I love my Advanced Rifle in survivals, but I'm wondering if that automatic shotgun might be the better weapon for player-on-player violence.

I pretty much stick to advanced rifle, or maybe the machine gun.  I still need a few more levels for the combat machine gun.  The shotgun is great, but only at short range.  Advanced rifle with the mods can auto-aim at a pretty long range

I know the Advanced Rifle has longer range than the shotgun, but I think the shotgun may do a lot more damage. The fewer times I have to shoot at people, the fewer times they get to shoot back at me.

I love/hate ruining lower-ranked players' days by telling them the Minigun they're dreaming of is pretty much worthless in most situations.

I probably use the Combat MG more than anything else, but it really depends on range and other factors.

Assault shotgun is based for close-in shots, say no further than directly opposite a two-lane street. Beyond that, Advanced Rifle is probably the best balance of damage and rate of fire, though if you're good at adjusting your aim to get headshots, AP pistol has a higher rate of fire. Combat MG has the best range of any of the automatic weapons, so I tend to use it rather more than anything else.

I know the Advanced Rifle has longer range than the shotgun, but I think the shotgun may do a lot more damage. The fewer times I have to shoot at people, the fewer times they get to shoot back at me.

I love/hate ruining lower-ranked players' days by telling them the Minigun they're dreaming of is pretty much worthless in most situations.

I love and hate miniguns.  I had a minigun with 500 rounds left over from my first Survival match at the Boneyard and three guys in a Frogger were hovering nearby and making strafing runs on players that were loading up after completing or failing the mission.  I hate assholes so I felt obliged to open fire on them.

Shooting their copter out of the sky was one of my favorite moments in game.  Miniguns are great against vehicles, but not so much against guys on foot.

I wasn't so fortunate when they spawned on the ground.  You can't effectively take cover with a minigun, so you wiill always get outflanked and guys just don't stand still so that you can properly lead your shots. 

When I finally emptied the minigun, I stole a bucket and hauled ass to Sandy Shore but not before getting kacked three times.  Vengence was theirs.

Problem with the Minigun is that if you care about dying, they're tough because you can't be in cover and use them. They're great against choppers, but terrible in things like survivals where you're trying to stay alive. They're only good if you've got at least two people still alive in your survival with only the helicopters left and you can trust the other person to take out the helicopter(s) if you get killed. Otherwise, gotta stay covered up, which means it's a traditional weapon or the heavy sniper.

Another problem for me is that even when there's an awesome chance to use one like last night - I was on a rooftop, there was a guy flying around in a helicopter paying no attention to me going after other people - I use the thing so infrequently that I forget about it.