DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So former Black Panther: World of Wakanda writer Roxanne Gay tweeted about being interested in writing Batgirl. WB VP Michelle Williams responded with contact request. So this might really be happening based off a tweet.

She was terribly average with World of Wakanda so I kind of hope nothing really comes of it.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Do comic writers necessarily have the experience to write a big budget movie right off the bat? That’s what I wonder with the people clamoring for Simone.

Well Simone is actually really good.  Which means she won't get the job.  (She also doesn't seem to be that interested based off her Twitter).

1 minute ago, Raziel403 said:

Well Simone is actually really good.  Which means she won't get the job.  (She also doesn't seem to be that interested based off her Twitter).

Ok sure. She’s really good and she wrote two upper-high level of cartoons and what else, screenplay-wise? What I’m asking is whether or not her experience writing comics for decades directly transfers to a movie with a 100+ million dollar budget. That sounds like a hell of a risk to take.

Studies micromanage the scripts on those kind of movies enough that if hers was a disaster they would rewrite it until it fit the shape they wanted.

The downside to that is, if hers was a masterpiece, they'd rewrite it until it fit the shape they wanted.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

Do comic writers necessarily have the experience to write a big budget movie right off the bat? That’s what I wonder with the people clamoring for Simone.

It really depends on the writer. You have plenty who do stuff for tv and movies even if comics is their main focus. As far as Simone goes I'm slightly surprised if there are many clamoring for her since her Batgirl wasn't very good.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

It really depends on the writer. You have plenty who do stuff for tv and movies even if comics is their main focus. As far as Simone goes I'm slightly surprised if there are many clamoring for her since her Batgirl wasn't very good.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I never got past how broken the initial premise was.

And I kind of got the feeling that neither did she since she was one of the people who really didn't want the change after having written Oracle for so long.

On the topic of extended cuts of Superman, something very weird exists.

You guys presumably all know about the theatrical and Donnor cuts of Superman II. You also probably know about the TV edit that includes a few extra scenes (most notably Superman dropping off the three depowered Kryptonian villains, very much alive)

But on VUDU, Google Play, and Amazon, the version of the Donner cut is six minutes longer than the version on DVD/Blu-ray/iTunes/Movies Anywhere. I assume it has at least some of the TV scenes edited in for whatever reason, but it's very odd. It's not marketed as an extended cut or anything of the sort.

I can't imagine any comics writer who isn't moonlighting from their day job (ie, Kevin Smith or maybe Reginald Hudlin) getting put in charge of a Marvel or DC movie in any way, shape, or fashion. 

Then again, management would probably just assume any script the writer gave them would be heavily re-written so why not?

On 2/24/2018 at 2:46 AM, Eivion said:

She was terribly average with World of Wakanda so I kind of hope nothing really comes of it.

I liked WoW but felt like it was sort of a 'too many cooks in the kitchen' deal with her juggling plotting by Ta Nehisi-Coates that ended up being a lot of "Where were the Midnight Angels when x thing happened in Wakanda?"

On 2/27/2018 at 6:49 PM, (BP) said:

Didn't the Whedon WW screenplay leak around the time the movie came out last year and it was largely deemed terrible? 

Yes.

Also, Gail on Batgirl would be great, but her pushing back from it probably speaks to the fact that (she expects at least) they don't have the same ideas she does about what a good Babs as Batgirl story looks like and doesn't want to repeat the miserable time she had with the New 52 (in which she wasn't allowed to write the book she wanted for three years, left, then the subsequent team got to do the exact type of tone/style she wanted in the first place).

On 2/27/2018 at 6:02 PM, Ace said:

Whedon did and said the exact same thing when he dropped out of Wonder Woman years ago.

No, then he said WB didn't like his story, and they saw two totally different movies.

As mentioned, the script (or maybe it was just excerpts?) that leaked looked like it was about the worst thing he's ever written. I mean, afaik that was only the first draft and maybe it would've gotten a lot better as they worked on it, but it wasn't good.

I love reading unproduced screenplays, so I might get around to reading Whedon's take out of curiosity. I also still have to take a look at Abrams's crazy Superman script. 

And if you aren't familiar with the Daniel Waters-penned Catwoman script (a spinoff for the Batman Returns Selina Kyle) check it out because that shit is bonkers and I'm bummed it was never made. 

On 2/26/2018 at 2:55 AM, Brian Fowler said:

On the topic of extended cuts of Superman, something very weird exists.

You guys presumably all know about the theatrical and Donnor cuts of Superman II. You also probably know about the TV edit that includes a few extra scenes (most notably Superman dropping off the three depowered Kryptonian villains, very much alive)

But on VUDU, Google Play, and Amazon, the version of the Donner cut is six minutes longer than the version on DVD/Blu-ray/iTunes/Movies Anywhere. I assume it has at least some of the TV scenes edited in for whatever reason, but it's very odd. It's not marketed as an extended cut or anything of the sort.

So they have more of the attack on the small town (Planet Houston) including the cold blooded murder or a child, and even the souffle scene that didn't make the theatrical cut or Donner cut and that Donner talked about how Lester absolutely butchered it by shooting it with them in frame. I'm pretty sure all of that is stuff Donner specifically disliked, so this definitely is no longer in the spirit of a Donner cut.

The Metropolis fight is also a bit longer.

It doesn't have the scene dropping off Zod and company, alive but powerless at prison, so they could still always use it as part of the TV version the way they just released the first movie.

So, yeah, I have no idea why this exists in this form.

This may be all Mandela effect, but I will go to my grave certain that I saw a scene somewhere in Superman II, when the president invokes God, that the reply is, "It's Zod, not God, that rules you now."