DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown 8/9/2013

rzombie1988

Pretty good show overall. Bray and Brock cut amazing promos, while RVD-Orton, Bryan-Barrett, and Christian-Alberto were all good. Best TV show I've seen all week, although the GWF marathons might be skewing things a bit.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2013/08/sd-8-9-13.html

Screens -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/65gv7k4yqvwukrb6wleghtiyk04oy2a5

Didn't watch the whole show yet. But the Bray Wyatt and Brock promos were off-the-charts.

The Bray promo was so incredible structured and layered. I loved Bray at first tipping his hat into Kane for being a demon but then it just got layered into such amazing storytelling. That harrowing end line -- "I'm already dead. I'm already dead" says it right there: Bray believes himself to be the reborn Christ. He tips his hat to Kane as a rival but Kane doesn't see the bigger picture. The fire will not stop his brothers (what Christ called his disciples) literally or figuratively (his followers are everyhwere, man). Kane's fire -- the Devil himself -- fears Bray since he knows Bray's the almighty. The fire will raise up against Kane because you can't serve the devil without suffering, and Kane will have to meet his master at some point.These promos are seriously brilliant. I also love Bray cast as a redemptive savior. He's here to lead the oppressed, to wake us up, to see the lie we're living under and to destroy our oppressors.His vocal cadences and ticks and the like -- this is seriously amazing. He's been in the WWE for only a few weeks and is already the best promo in the company. He's ridiculously great at the character. It's only a matter of time before he's stalked by someone who actually believes him as a deity. They drew up an amazing character and it fell in the hands of a wrestler who became that character.

Windham Rotunda is an actor who also wrestles. (On another note, he did a NXT promo that's on YouTube taht I don't think aired on the show. He did a thing against Big E. and somehow incorporate an amazingly spot-on impersonation of Regal in the middle of it. The dude has perfect range.) 

The one problem with Bray is that it's too good for the general WWE fan. They have to play Bray as a lunatic. He's certainly that but no announcer is clever enough to decipher his meaning to the crowd.

The Brock promo was great straight-up jock douche. The MMA line was super nasty. It really makes me want to see Punk kick him in the face. Amazing.

• Like 1

His influence on the stuffing has been really evident the past week.

He must have gotten in touch with Vince through mutual friend Amanda Bynes

I won't believe it until The Shield lose the tag team titles to R-Truth and Little Jimmy

Brock's promo was great because everything he said was true. Punk must be shaking in his fake MMA boots.

Better than that.  If you're a Punk fan, it did the only thing a heel promo really needs to do...make you mark the fuck out to see your boy prove how tough he is in a fake fight

$$$$$$$$$ON. PAY. PER. VIEW$$$$$$$$$!

Like, make it matter if he goes over or not...not just how good the match is.  My little inner Punk fan wanna see him wiiiiiiin now.  Normally I could give a fuck a long as the match is good.  But IWANNAHIMWIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm such a mark.  Brock absolutely worked my stupid mark self into caring about this as something other than a showcase for Heyman being awesome.

And as much as I hate to point it out, I might as well because someone else will anyway:  Note I wrote that Brock worked me into caring about this.  Not "Punk and Brock" worked me into caring about this.  I love Punk.  But in this he's doing the same stuff he always does, which is fine...but he's been doing it for years now and the effect is wearing off.

Kind of shockingly, Brock made this angle work

by talking more.

I loved him pointing out he was WWE Champion when Punk was wrestling in front of 60 people in a barn. Then gave him just enough credit for being WWE Champ for so long. It put Punk over for overcoming a lot of obstacles and made Brock look like his greatest challenge. 

I fucking LOVED Orton/ RVD. RVD has looked so great since he came back, especially against Orton. And Orton turns it up a level with RVD.

I honestly can't think of a poor RVD/Orton match which is crazy since for me, Orton is a guy who blows hot and cold and RVD was always pretty iffy at the best of times. I've always liked Orton's selling but RVD seems to connect with his kicks a lot better when he's in there with him and it makes me wonder why he can't do it more often. 

Posted Image

And Trevor Murdoch!

Looks like an episode to see.

He looks more like Lee Tergeson to me.

The show was pretty fun from what I remember/saw of it. RVD/Orton was definitely awesome. It seems like those guys were the proto Dolph/Kofi in that they always seem to work together well and quell their usual problems. (orton's laziness and RVD's soft looking offense)

Seemed like a fast paced show but very good RVD and Orton worked well and always have even back when Orton was in evolution. Even though I feel Kofi is the Black RVD, He seems to really be into what he doing which shows in his work since coming back.

Bray Wyatt does in role too well. Dusty needs full control over booking for coming up with that whole concept.

I usually get bored of Del Roi when he was faces a guy more than once in a matter of weeks but he and Christian have great chemistry. From day one they have have really. He is great at the Ric Flair begging off thing. I thought he was stagnant as a heel till recently. Just when I was wondering where Cody was he ended up showing up at the end of the show.

That Brock promo was on the level of the one he cut on Cena. Very short but to the point and did more to sell the match without having to lay a finger on Punk.

really good tv this week, Raw ,Main Even and Smackdown.