DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

ESPN is reporting the gambling debts totalled at least $4.5 million and were for international soccer, NBA, NFL, and college football games. 

On Tuesday, Ippei told ESPN that Ohtani agreed to pay it off for him. He walked that back on Wednesday. 

42 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

it was a tough year of Ippei betting overs on Iowa CFB games

"将軍が来る日が来ると思ったのに!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like I’d have to be fairly naive to take this “it was the interpreter” story at face value.  Particularly after both parties seem to have changed their stories in the space of 24 hrs.

On the other hand, I like Ohtani & don’t really care if he lost millions gambling, so I’m probably willing to believe whatever tidy story MLB wants to feed me.

I will not be changing my avatar anytime soon, it seems

20 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

This has all the makings of a story that won’t go away. 

Manfred will try his best.

But his best isn’t very good and it sure ain’t good enough for this one

• Like 1

The change of story is a bad look and will fuel the takes for weeks, if not months,

But the main thing is that within baseball gambling is synonymous with one person and people are still fighting and will keep fighting about Pete Rose until he either gets into the HoF or the heat death of the universe.

There are people on twitter (I know, I know) who already want Ohtani banned for life.

• Like 2

I won't lie, it's my first thought.  Whatever it turns out to be, it's bad, and if it involves gambling on baseball, he's toast, in public opinion anyway. It's not 1927, where the can cover it up. It might not be worst case scenario, but if it is. . . .

15 minutes ago, lostinube said:

In it's own way, the Pete Rose case is iconic, and the fact that everyone goes straight to it shows how much Shohei transcends the game. 😉

Not for nothing, but everyone should be very aware, the Pete Rose case changed.  About 6-7 years ago, baseball was ready to welcome him back ...then he was (credibly) accused of having initiated a sexual relationship with a girl who was under 16 in 1973.  (Age of Consent back then was 13.)  

And that story keeps popping up whenever he shows up anywhere, and he keeps having worse and worse reactions, for example...

https://www.citybeat.com/arts/pete-rose-on-statutory-rape-allegations-who-cares-what-happened-50-years-ago-13626759

So, while this started with him just being a gambler (who probably bet on his own team), it's not that any more.  And yeah Pete Rose is never getting in while he's alive. And then probably not for a long, LONG time afterwards.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not for nothing, but everyone should be very aware, the Pete Rose case changed.  About 6-7 years ago, baseball was ready to welcome him back ...then he was (credibly) accused of having initiated a sexual relationship with a girl who was under 16 in 1973.  (Age of Consent back then was 13.)  

And that story keeps popping up whenever he shows up anywhere, and he keeps having worse and worse reactions, for example...

https://www.citybeat.com/arts/pete-rose-on-statutory-rape-allegations-who-cares-what-happened-50-years-ago-13626759

So, while this started with him just being a gambler (who probably bet on his own team), it's not that any more.  And yeah Pete Rose is never getting in while he's alive. And then probably not for a long, LONG time afterwards.  

They haven't put joe jackson in either. . .

Ohtani’s reps say they’ve contacted law enforcement and asked for a probe into the “massive theft.”

While they are at it, they should look into what kind of bookie lets a guy who probably makes $100,000/year get 4.5 million in debt. That’s the kind of guy I want to handle my action if I ever become a degenerate gambler. 

Btw someone in the Rays accounting department just remembered they were still paying Wander Franco.   

He'll be cut this week 

They were waiting for MLB to act on Franco but since it wasn’t coming and they didn’t want to pay him while waiting, they get to go either restricted list or administrative leave, more than likely the latter. 

The interpreter actually made between 300-500k per year, which doesn’t include any other money that Ohtani paid him for other things he helped him with (he was his driver for a while, helped with errands and such, essentially a clubbie). So essentially he gambled all his salary away and then some, if it’s to be believed.