DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Legion talk reminds me to look what it's about and if it's on UK TV.

It's on FX, a day behind the American broadcast. Whole thing so far is available on FX on Demand, if you've got that.

• Like 1

Holy shit, that was a great movie. 

Spoiler

There were no dry nerd eyes in the house when the final credits rolled.  Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were king sized and little Dafne Keen stole my heart.  I think that Stewart had been waiting his whole career to say the words, "Fuck you, Logan."

I was surprised by how well I held out until Laura turned the cross at Logan's grave into an X and then I was fucking done.  I had to get ice cream afterwards to cheer myself up and the weather is fucking freezing here in the 804.

I already love Shane and thought it was a really apt parallel to the events of the movie, so having Laura recite the No More Guns In The Valley monologue just murdered me.

I liked what they did with Dr. Zander Rice and Caliban.  The scene where Rice just casually walks by Caliban's corpse and is all oh by the way get me a tissue sample from that guy will you filled me with absolute rage.  He's introduced in mid-action and already I hate his guts.  That's how you bring a villain in.

Boyd Holdbrook was fucking aces as Donald Pierce.  Not exactly the villain I remember from the comic books, but fitting for the setting.  I was kinda bummed that they really didn't go out of the way to identify the other Reavers, though.

Not sure if it was intentional, but the whole thing of mutants being the Children of the Atom and the possibility that the end of the Cold War and the global reduction of nuclear weapons and the reluctance to embrace atomic energy may have resulted in a lower occurrence of mutant births was too coincidental not to ignore.  I think that inference mostly came from me, though, because I am a comic book geek like that.

And yeah.  Johnny mother fucking Cash.

Million billion stars.

• Like 5

Logan has already beat The Wolverine domestically and only needs about $28 mil to top Origins and become king of the franchise.

Worldwide it's already #1 having beat The Wolverine which already had a better worldwide pull than Origins despite much lower domestic.

In terms of the broader X-franchise it's only #8 domestic currently, above The Wolverine (which is somehow the worst grossing X-film domestically) and First Class. It should clear Apocalypse and X-Men to hit #6 this week but the gaps get steeper from there so it probably ends up middle of the pack.

International it's #5 behind Deadpool, DoFP, Apocalypse, and X3 in that order and MAN the international lists are dramatically different for this franchise. Hard to say how it'll climb given steep ($100m ish) gaps between each but International builds faster or not at all more or less.

It's doing really well anyway, so expect more R X films from Fox and probably some from Warner Bros given the DCEU ain't doing amazing and veers closer to R than any of the other franchises anyway.

I knew this would be a rough rude right from the perfect trailer. I was still not ready. Despite knowing they aren't really part of the same timeline, I want to know Caliban's story between 1987 and 2029.

If at LEAST Stewart doesn't get an Oscar nod out of this, it's either a high crime or an amazing year for Supporting Actor.

Looking at the credits, about half the Reavers got comic book names that make no sense. Macon, fine, he was one of the Lame Reavers. But crediting someone as Bonebreaker who does not have a tank for an ass is stupid as fuck since that's literally his only characteristic. Give him a Lame Reaver name or credit him as Reaver #4, god dammit. Same with Pretty Boy.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Mangold confirmed that on Twitter, btw

So now that we're talking about Easter Eggs I was wondering.

Spoiler

Was the katana at Logan's hideout Yukio's sword?

And I am beginning to suspect that,

Spoiler

Charles is the one responsible for nearly all of the mutant deaths on earth. 

That was what the mysterious Westchester Incident was all about. 

I think Professor X had one of his seizures while hooked up to Cerebro.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So now that we're talking about Easter Eggs I was wondering.

Reveal hidden contents

Was the katana at Logan's hideout Yukio's sword?

And I am beginning to suspect that,

Reveal hidden contents

Charles is the one responsible for nearly all of the mutant deaths on earth. 

That was what the mysterious Westchester Incident was all about. 

I think Professor X had one of his seizures while hooked up to Cerebro.

Yes to all my friend.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yes to all my friend.

My "theory" still doesn't explain away

Spoiler

why there were no more mutant births following the Westchester incident, unless I was right earlier and declining nuclear geopolitics being a contributing factor. 

Mutant genes are recessive, so decline in atomic proliferation and nature did now allow mutant births to keep pace after a sudden and huge mortality rate generated by artificial means..

So yeah, Magneto was wrong about mutants being the next link in the chain of human evolution.  Good or bad, mutancy has always been by definition a scientific aberration.

• Like 1

The Incident was over a decade after the last birth.

The Incident was only a few years ago per the radio incident. There hadn't been a new mutant birth in 25 years because Rice's project developed food additives to prevent random mutation, per his final monologue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The Incident was over a decade after the last birth.

Reveal hidden contents

The Incident was only a few years ago per the radio incident. There hadn't been a new mutant birth in 25 years because Rice's project developed food additives to prevent random mutation, per his final monologue.

I was about to factor that in because I just remembered that bit of dialogue.

• Like 1

I liked Logan a great deal, but one issue I had (besides what felt like overkill trying to earn the R rating in the first half hour or so) was the same problem I had with The Wolverine:

Spoiler

In what is otherwise an earnest and thoughtful movie, there's something incredibly hokey that feels like it belongs in an earlier era's comic book movie ( X24 in this case, Silver Samurai in The Wolverine.) It just seemed out of place with the tone the movie was going for.

It was a minor quibble considering how much I enjoyed it, and the ending was surprisingly poignant for me; I've never been that attached to the series, but something about dropping my daughter off with a sitter so my wife and I could see Jackman's swan song as a character I've watched him play since middle school got me. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Man, fuck corn syrup.

When you guys mentioned that, the moment clicked. I paid attention to it in the movie and it's like I immediately swept it off to the side. So I was thinking that maybe there was a "no more mutants" thing that happened, totally forgetting about the corn additives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

I liked Logan a great deal, but one issue I had (besides what felt like overkill trying to earn the R rating in the first half hour or so) was the same problem I had with The Wolverine:

Hide contents

In what is otherwise an earnest and thoughtful movie, there's something incredibly hokey that feels like it belongs in an earlier era's comic book movie ( X24 in this case, Silver Samurai in The Wolverine.) It just seemed out of place with the tone the movie was going for.

It was a minor quibble considering how much I enjoyed it, and the ending was surprisingly poignant for me; I've never been that attached to the series, but something about dropping my daughter off with a sitter so my wife and I could see Jackman's swan song as a character I've watched him play since middle school got me. 

I initially rolled my eyes at the X-24 reveal, but in retrospect, it makes total thematic sense.

The movie suggests that one of Logan's biggest enemies has always been his own anger and self-loathing that caused him to push people away and live a generally sad, lonely life.  In battling X-24, he's literally fighting a version of himself that's been distilled down to nothing but that inner rage.  And Logan can't beat X-24 anymore than he can overcome what's inside of him (in both of their fight scenes, Logan has to be saved by someone else).

Ultimately, it's only Laura who proves capable of triumphing over both, once and for all.  One with an adamantium bullet, the other with a daughter's love.

If you're gonna do an Evil Alt villain, THAT is how you do it.

• Like 3

On 16/03/2017 at 2:05 AM, EVA said:

I initially rolled my eyes at the X-24 reveal, but in retrospect, it makes total thematic sense.

Reveal hidden contents

The movie suggests that one of Logan's biggest enemies has always been his own anger and self-loathing that caused him to push people away and live a generally sad, lonely life.  In battling X-24, he's literally fighting a version of himself that's been distilled down to nothing but that inner rage.  And Logan can't beat X-24 anymore than he can overcome what's inside of him (in both of their fight scenes, Logan has to be saved by someone else).

Ultimately, it's only Laura who proves capable of triumphing over both, once and for all.  One with an adamantium bullet, the other with a daughter's love.

If you're gonna do an Evil Alt villain, THAT is how you do it.

We're in agreement. I said the same thing in my Logan review.