DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-22-14 - Christmas Show

MGFanJay

I can just imagine Adrian Neville being dragged off kicking and screaming as Vince gleefully holds up the Mighty Mouse costume with the giant ears...

Yes, I'm sure he'll be crying all the way to the bank.

Considering how lower-card guys were complaining about their WM payoffs in the past couple years, it's more like he'll be laughing all the way to the check cashing place that also gives out high-interest short-term loans. 

Oh, the horror. They didn't get their five figure bonus check as high as it usually is while still making six figures on their downside guarantee. Everyone might as well just jump ship to ROH and New Japan.

Rather than being snarky anymore, I'm just going to say that their six-figure guarantee is probably really not much after expenses on the road. I can't imagine that your lower-card guys are making tons of money. Not to mention that IIRC, some of those payoff checks were in the very low five figures. 

MORELOCK, on 23 Dec 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Is it just me, or are they pushing the irritating "Dolph loves to PERFORM (rather than win matches)" thing really hard lately? Another one of those wink-wink-wrestling-is-fake things WWE seems to love these days.

Yeah I was getting pissed during TLC when the announcers kept saying that Dolph said this would be his best match ever tonight. How about making winning your #1 goal, and if it happens in a one minute shitty match who cares you still won the belt.

A good post-rumble Feud would be Barrett interrupting Ziggler saying how it's a disgrace for the IC champion to care only about performance and not wins, and that he intends to make the belt right again.

Plus you have the whole "I never lost it" argument.

Both these guys should be above the IC belt, but the IC belt means a lot more than it did a year ago, I'd say it's almost on par with Big Gold, it just needs the IC belt champ taking it hard to the world champ at some point to lock its new higher credibility. 

Rather than being snarky anymore, I'm just going to say that their six-figure guarantee is probably really not much after expenses on the road. I can't imagine that your lower-card guys are making tons of money. Not to mention that IIRC, some of those payoff checks were in the very low five figures. 

And I'm sure Adrian Neville would be more than willing to get into any bunny, mouse or weasel costume they'll stick him in for the pay raise he'll get for being on the main roster as opposed to the chicken scratch he's getting in NXT.

Is it just me, or are they pushing the irritating "Dolph loves to PERFORM (rather than win matches)" thing really hard lately? Another one of those wink-wink-wrestling-is-fake things WWE seems to love these days.

Dolph says it all the time in interviews...it's one of the things I dislike about him. As a character he doesn't care if he wins or loses as long as he puts on a great performance and makes his opponent better.

Yeah he needs to work on his promos, I don't get his character lately since winning at Survivor Series.  It's like they told him to do his interviews very soft spoken and humble, and calmly talk about how respectful he is towards his opponents.  He's been vey reserved in his backstage promos, and too methodical, like what happened to his cocky "i'm better than everyone" act?  Then he goes out for a match and he's acting cocky again and yelling about how damn good he is.  I'm willing to blame whoever is scripting the promos or coaching him to do it that way, but they should really have him be more animated and excited during his promos, and act more confident and consistent.

I think they are trying to find the right buttons to push with respect to promos.  Do they want over the top (Flair), humble, cocky, etc.  He probably comes off well when they practice but are having him do different styles before his main event push to test crowd reactions.  I see it as giving him a bit of polish. 

• Like 1

Maybe. I wonder how much the top NXT guys do get paid. They don't have to really leave home, which definitely helps offset road expenses. Neville's already in this year's video game too, so he'll get a little something from that (as well as whatever merch he's pushing now). I'm not so sure that what he's making now really is chicken scratch compared to what he might make as a lower-card guy on the roster. I guess the argument is that he has wider merch opportunities + the Big Four PPVs to make $$$ off of if he's on the main roster, but then again, those numbers will go down as more people move to streaming, and as CM Punk pointed out, Vince hasn't even discussed residuals from the Network with the talent.

I strongly question the assumption that Neville would be so much more financially better off that it would be worth it to be on the main roster as a lower-card guy with a shitty gimmick over biding his time in NXT and waiting for someone with at least some lucidity to book him in a halfway-decent position. 

Maybe. I wonder how much the top NXT guys do get paid. They don't have to really leave home, which definitely helps offset road expenses. Neville's already in this year's video game too, so he'll get a little something from that (as well as whatever merch he's pushing now). I'm not so sure that what he's making now really is chicken scratch compared to what he might make as a lower-card guy on the roster. I guess the argument is that he has wider merch opportunities + the Big Four PPVs to make $$$ off of if he's on the main roster, but then again, those numbers will go down as more people move to streaming, and as CM Punk pointed out, Vince hasn't even discussed residuals from the Network with the talent.

I strongly question the assumption that Neville would be so much more financially better off that it would be worth it to be on the main roster as a lower-card guy with a shitty gimmick over biding his time in NXT and waiting for someone with at least some lucidity to book him in a halfway-decent position. 

Road expenses are tax deductible so you get it back at the end of the year EN090.

Road expenses are tax deductible so you get it back at the end of the year EN090.

Look, insult my family or punch me in the dick, but call me EN090, and we're going to have to duel in the streets. 

Business expenses are tax-deductible, but every time I've ever read or heard a wrestler talking about salary, they always point out the road expenses that end up eating up their contracts. They could all be bad at taxes or just super-cheap like Mick Foley, though. 

No you don't. Deductions only decrease your taxable income.

I would guess "no". In the case of the WWE guys they work for a CT company and get paid with checks from same, so I doubt that they have to file for anywhere else. The NXT folks work for a CT company and are based in FL, likely they have to pay one or the other but not both. I'm just going on what I had to do as an independent contractor covering a seven state area. My residence was in WA, which had no state income tax and I didn't need to file for any of the other states as I was paid by a NJ company in WA, where I lived. Don't know how it works if you can't document residency in one place...

I remember reading somewhere that NXT male wrestlers get around $40-45k while the divas get paid slightly higher at $50k for "maintenance"...whatever that means.

I think that means hair, clothing, makeup ... pretty much whatever it takes to look beautiful.

I remember reading somewhere that NXT male wrestlers get around $40-45k while the divas get paid slightly higher at $50k for "maintenance"...whatever that means.

I think that means hair, clothing, makeup ... pretty much whatever it takes to look beautiful.

So we can assume that Tyler Breeze is making $50K then.

• Like 8

Shouldn't the guys get about the same if not more in order to 'look good'? I guess at the end if all works itself out in some weird way as the guys wind up making more money on the main roster anyways and the women need to LOOK good inside and outside the ring to get called up.

Which bring me to my next question...that I will move to another thread as to not derail this one.

Luke Harper had invincibility frames during his discus lariat. It took Ziggler a three bar super combo to take him down.

Goth Xmas Paige was scrumptious.

Smackdown Ascension are charter members of the Guild of Calamitous Intent.

Zigs needs Superkick FADC Zig Zag.