DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Not sure how you make Classic Green Goblin work in more "realistic" comic book movie. I hate to say it, but I think Ultimate would come across much better.

I'm also kind of down on them using Rhino and Electro as the main villains. I'm guessing we'll only be teased with a little Goblin action, saving that for 3.

Side note: I wish they'd use the actual Spider-Man comics for the film titles. First one be Amazing, this one be Spectacular, third one Sensational, etc. etc. "Amazing Spider-Man TWO" and "Amazing Spider-Man THREE" is fucking weak.

The last movie had The Lizard so what do you mean by realistic?

If a giant mutant lizard is their idea of realism then I think there's quite a few possibilities for the Goblin.

Not sure how you make Classic Green Goblin work in more "realistic" comic book movie. I hate to say it, but I think Ultimate would come across much better.

I'm also kind of down on them using Rhino and Electro as the main villains. I'm guessing we'll only be teased with a little Goblin action, saving that for 3.

Side note: I wish they'd use the actual Spider-Man comics for the film titles. First one be Amazing, this one be Spectacular, third one Sensational, etc. etc. "Amazing Spider-Man TWO" and "Amazing Spider-Man THREE" is fucking weak.

If a giant mutant lizard is their idea of realism then I think there's quite a few possibilities for the Goblin.

The transformation into a lizard makes "sense" (and I use this word in the context of a comic book movie...) because Connors was experimenting with lizard DNA on himself. Why does Norman wear a fucking Goblin mask? Oscorp isn't in competition with Party City, it's not as if the Goblin costume provides him with any tactical advantages, Goblins aren't known to operate "gliding-type" machinery, he doesn't own a sports team named the Goblins, and he doesn't have any particular affinity towards Halloween. Why dress up as a Goblin and not, say, an Elf? Sméagol?

At least if he takes a super-formula that physically alters his appearance as a side effect, you can say "Oh, THAT'S why he's the Green Goblin!"

• Like 2

The ASM franchise is fascinating to me. They already have TWO MORE of these things in the pipeline after this one. And yet..did anybody really love the first movie? I mean, beyond teenyboppers who think Andrew Garfield is dreamy. Were there any great lines that you hear people quoting to this day? Any unforgettable scenes that etched themselves into people's minds and became pop culture touchstones (like the upside down kiss in the first Raimi movie)? Any performances that were so good that when they inevitably reboot this franchise yet again in 20 years, someone might credibly remark, "Boy, Actor X is going to have a tough time filling Dennis Leary's shoes as Captain Stacy," or "No one can top Rhys Ifans as Curt Connors"?

Yes, it made a lot of money, but did anybody see that movie and think, "I need THREE MORE of these movies, and quick."

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is almost AVATAR-esque in that it made a bunch of money, but is nobody's favorite movie.

Let's not gloss over history here - it's not like the Raimi Spider-Man movies were cinematic masterpieces or anything. Honestly, they kind of sucked. Apart from the casting of the villians, I can't think of any positives that crop of Spidey movies brought to the table. Then again, same goes with this incarnation of Spidey movies too. Also, the upside down kiss was a "pop culture touchstone", whatever that means, for all of a few years. Then everyone came back down to reality and remembered just how bad Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Mcguire really are. At least with these generation of movies, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are passable to decent actors/actresses. Not the walking board of wood the former set of actors are.

tl;dr: fuck Spider-Man, all the movies will be bad (forever)

• Like 2

Let's not gloss over history here - it's not like the Raimi Spider-Man movies were cinematic masterpieces or anything. Honestly, they kind of sucked. Apart from the casting of the villians, I can't think of any positives that crop of Spidey movies brought to the table.

JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. A performance so perfect the new franchise won't even dare use the character.

• Like 2

Everyone I have ever talked to loves Emma Stone and thought she was great in this. If you are wondering what the highlight was... I guess it was her. Personally, I thought the whole thing was unnecessary but I didn't love the Tobey movies either outside of the second one which is pretty good.

Side note: If Rhino showed up looking like this I laugh my ass off as would everyone else in the theater... so... 

Rhino-newsroom_(1).jpg

Oh, can we finally dead this crap about Spidey being an emo bitch? After I watched the film I didn't feel like Garfield was being emo at all. I didn't feel like he spent too much time brooding either. He was upset at times and rightly so but he was much more the wise cracking Spidey that I love.

The transformation into a lizard makes "sense" (and I use this word in the context of a comic book movie...) because Connors was experimenting with lizard DNA on himself. Why does Norman wear a fucking Goblin mask? Oscorp isn't in competition with Party City, it's not as if the Goblin costume provides him with any tactical advantages, Goblins aren't known to operate "gliding-type" machinery, he doesn't own a sports team named the Goblins, and he doesn't have any particular affinity towards Halloween. Why dress up as a Goblin and not, say, an Elf? Sméagol?

At least if he takes a super-formula that physically alters his appearance as a side effect, you can say "Oh, THAT'S why he's the Green Goblin!"

Maybe he plays Dungeons & Dragons. 

Oh, can we finally dead this crap about Spidey being an emo bitch? After I watched the film I didn't feel like Garfield was being emo at all. I didn't feel like he spent too much time brooding either. He was upset at times and rightly so but he was much more the wise cracking Spidey that I love.

He was an emo bitch, Jesus. His emo bitchness killed Jed Bartlett.

Peter Parker isn't pretty?  Lets see how many pages we can get out of that...

Also, we've had this conversation a couple of times on here, but the Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone combo was so much better than Tobey McGuire/Kirsten Dunst that I'm cool with a TASM sequel.  The poster is hinting at a convoluted plot though.  Not good.

Edited by _MJ_