DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

I like Oscar Issac but dude is not even six feet tall.  I am not looking forward to Apocalypse being a mocap marionette.

I need to start a kickstarter campaign to get Stephen Lang hired on to be Cable.

When are the events of Apocalypse taking place? Because if they're going to keep making these things, they're going to have to find a young Cyclops and Storm soon. Maybe very soon.

I don't even really remember the specifics of the story as far as how/why/who was responsible (it's comics, so I'm sure it's convoluted nonsense), but I'm just thinking that if you're doing a movie set in the 80's, then you've got your AIDS allegory right there.

Surely there's a way to get to the Legacy virus without goddamn Stryfe.

The story was pretty straight-forward, oddly enough. Stryfe was supposed to pay Sinister for his services in Xcutioner's Song with Summers family DNA, but what he's given is the Legacy Virus instead.

I guess you could have Apocalypse create it in the movie, but it's not really his style, though. Maybe a young Kavita Rao creates it accidentally and the Purifiers steal it, perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus fucking Christ. It looks like Spider-Man is getting rebooted again. What a clusterfuck. Just sell it to Disney.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, this reboot would be a Marvel and Sony partnership which would include the Wall-Crawler in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Worth it.

Jesus fucking Christ. It looks like Spider-Man is getting rebooted again. What a clusterfuck. Just sell it to Disney.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, this reboot would be a Marvel and Sony partnership which would include the Wall-Crawler in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Worth it.

But how can they have Spider-Man in a movie without telling the origin? How would anyone know who he is or how he became Spider-Man?

• Like 1

If we're tossing out the origin and the love stories, let's jettison the Osborn family while we're at it. Yes, they're a big part of the Spidey mythos, but I don't foresee audiences getting excited to shell out $10 to watch all that drama play out for the 3rd time in 15 years.

• Like 1

No, lets stretch all this out between one hour to seventy-five minutes of screentime. I am one of the four people in the western world who does not know the origin of this Spiderperson and Peter Preston.

• Like 4

Didn't it involve a bat crashing through a window?

Which, now that I think of it ... have any of the Batman films gone into why he chose a bat? I don't recall. (I know I've seen that fucker's parents shot more times than insulin patients, though.)

Man, they had Rhodey be the Iron Patriot because they knew they'd never get Norman. And now, they can maybe get Norman, if they want him.

Didn't it involve a bat crashing through a window?

Which, now that I think of it ... have any of the Batman films gone into why he chose a bat? I don't recall. (I know I've seen that fucker's parents shot more times than insulin patients, though.)

Nolan went into it extensively in BEGINS.

I don't think the topic actually made it into FOREVER, but they shot this fucking insane-looking scene:

meeting.jpg

I remember seeing that in a magazine or "Art of..." book before the movie's release, and I was so disappointed there was no staredown with a giant bat.

Nah, I truly do believe that most of these origins do not need to be told. You can absolutely throw Spider-Man or Batman in a movie and just say "this is Spider-Man" ... I don't need to see him bitten by a spider and learning his powers and I don't need to see the Wayne family travel down a dark alley.

Guardians of the Galaxy gave a very brief origin for Star Lord and nothing for anybody else, and that's the official DVDVRMB best Comic Book movie of all time, so yeah.

It all depends on the script/director. There are people who thought Guardians of the Galaxy would be a mess. There are people who think Batman vs. Superman will be a mess because how dare you introduce Batman and Wonder Woman without a full 2-hour origin. There are people who thought Days of Future Past would be a mess with all the different characters involved. If you're expecting these movies to flesh out all of the characters, it's not going to happen. Maybe in the sequels.

Since they love making allusions to their future projects in other movies, just have some throwaway lines in some of the upcoming Marvel movies speaking about him like he is some sort of New York urban legend. Then you can have him appear fully formed in Avengers 3 or his own stand alone movie or whatever.

So yeah, count me in on the no more origins crowd.