DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

The showrunners already spoiled the surprise of who/what Dottie is, so that kind of killed it for me. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out, though, especially based off the previews and location for the next episode.

I like Agent Carter, but goddamn I can't stand anyone not named Peggy Carter that's a character on this show. Especially everyone she works with in the SSR. I know the whole point is to capture the feel of late 40s/early 50s America with the sexism and shit, but I really want to punch Thompson and Dooley in every scene that they have lines. I cheered when Krzemenski died, but I guess Sousa is okay. It's comical to me that he was in the Avengers, as the exact same character, though. Showrunners kayfabed it by saying it was his grandson (who happens to be identical :P)

Enver Gjokaj played a cop in the Avengers. It was a joke, but the showrunners, in their AMA on Reddit, kayfabed it by saying his cop character was a direct descendent of Daniel Sousa. He was in the final battle scene at the end of the movie.

Honestly a little underwhelmed by the Daredevil trailer. Looks very TV-ish.

What were you expecting from a.... Marvel TV show? :huh: Agent Carter & Agents of SHIELD have the same feel. Maybe you mean it should be more cinematic since it's on Netflix or something? I don't know, I like it - I'm pretty hyped. And it's rated TV-MA, so that's a plus.

Holy Fucking Shit, the new Agent Carter is fucking awesome.

Completely agree. I'm really ok with it if they cancel SHIELD and give us 22 eps of Agent Carter per year,

But Agents of SHIELD has become badass too! Keep them both.

It seems to have turned the corner and become a better show - and gathered something of a following - but I'm still not a fan,  The writing is much better this year, but holy shit do I not care at all about a single main character.  I've got a number of unwatched eps still on the dvr that may eventually be deleted.  I've thought about catching up several times, but have no real interest in the show. 

That's not really meant as an indictment of the show.  Objectively, I think it's turned around greatly from the first 13 or so eps.  It just doesn't do much for me personally. 

Got to be honest, pretty pumped about Daredevil and the show being only two months away.  The show doesn't look like it has a huge budget, but it doesn't need to.  I think part of the 2003 films problem is that Fox wanted it to look more like Spider-Man and a lot of bad CG animation of Daredevil swinging around buildings was added to make the film more like Spider-Man, complete with an ending sequence that was right out of the first Spider-Man film.  

What is important to me is how dark and violent the show looks.  It doesn't look like anything else released before under the Marvel banner.  It really looks like an FX or HBO version of a comic book superhero show.  That puts it very much in line with a lot of the more notable and popular Daredevil stories of yore. 

What was the problem with the 2003 film?  It was incredibly and tonally uneven.  It wasn't terrible, but I think there was this promise of getting a comic book superhero movie that looked like and was shot like Se7en.  Instead we got this hodgepodge that had Murdock and Elektra fighting in the park in some bizarre campy sequence ripped off from The Mask of Zorro. 

I know it's only about 90 seconds of footage, but this show looks like a much more assured and confident version of the comics.  Plus Stick is in it, so that makes me happy.

aICLAS0.jpg

Also got to be honest, glad they aren't going for anything too crazy with Kingpin.  Looks like it will just be straight-up Vincent D'Onofrio.

I don't have a problem with him getting laid, but that he knows someone is in trouble and could be hurt at the moment, and instead he says, "nah I'm going to stay and have sex with this chick I barely even know and I just met yesterday."  It made him incredibly unlikable in that moment.