DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

What can I say? I have to carry a white cane myself, so DD's blindness and that tricked-out cane were early attractions for me in junior high.  I was super pissed that the one Ben Affleck used could never pass for anything an actual VI person would carry (too heavy and bulky, not reflective, etc) and I really want it to look 'right' on film.

No love for the Luke Cage casting?

Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that Mike Colter will star as Luke Cage in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."

No love for the Luke Cage casting?

Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that Mike Colter will star as Luke Cage in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."

I know nothing of his acting but he certainly looks the part.

I still haven't gotten used to the modern version of Cage.  I was a big fan of the character during the Power Man & Iron Fist days.  Seen very little of the character since that book ended.  So when someone mentions Luke Cage, I automatically picture this guy:

70f572b3357765fc208e813f353c70f54db05e60

I'd be on board for a Power Man & Iron Fist series set in the 70's or 80's, but I'm not holding my breath.  Blaxploitation Power Man probably wouldn't move a lot of tie-in merch. 

Speaking of "that's rascist"

When I stopped by my lcs last week to pick up some things, they were discussing whether the Deathlok costume from last season's Agents of SHEILD would have been so cheap-looking if Deathlok had been white.

LOL. Though I don't entirely disagree. Deathlok looked like he cost... $9.99.... to build.

What can I say? I have to carry a white cane myself, so DD's blindness and that tricked-out cane were early attractions for me in junior high. I was super pissed that the one Ben Affleck used could never pass for anything an actual VI person would carry (too heavy and bulky, not reflective, etc) and I really want it to look 'right' on film.

So, to make sure I can both get away with not feeling shitty AND avoid a jaecation/ban hammer/Johnny Cashing, for clarification: we can agree that I made a joke *to* a visually impaired guy, not *about* a visually impaired guy?*

*i.e. said joke was about said fellow, true, but not about said fellow's impairment at his expense?**

**HELLO NEW MILLENNIUM!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Agent Carter, and the thing that stood out to me the most is that Hayley Atwell is charming as hell.  I think the biggest problem that Agents of Shield had to overcome is that no one really stood out.  She stands out as instantly likeable and fun to watch.  So, I'll be sticking around to see how this goes.

• Like 1

I wasn't a big fan of Agent Carter from the Captain America movie, but really enjoyed the show.  It has a good mix of spy stuff along with certain Marvel elements to make it interesting.  Liked the clips from the movie to tie it in, and the story so far is pretty good.  That, and Hayley does a great job being that ass-kicking female who will get the job done.  The teaser at the end looks pretty badass.