DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-13-14

MGFanJay

What I don't get about the current announcing team is the endless recaps, repetition and shilling. Guess what, those 4 million fans who watched last week are the same 4 million fans watching this week. Those 4 million fans watching the first hour are are same 4 million watching the third hour. The background on the storylines don't have to be explained over and over again. 

How come, everytime Seth Rollins comes out we need to hear the following:

-The fans are booing him because he sided with the authority and turned his back on the shield.

-Seth Rollins has the money in the bank briefcase.

-He won the money in the bank briefcase at the money in the bank pay per view.
-The money in the bank briefcase is very valuable.

-The money in the bank briefcase entitles Rollins to a title shot whenever he wants it.

-Seth Rollins tried to cash in the briefcase at Night of Champions just as John Cena was about to defeat Brock Lesnar.

-This is why John Cena wants to fight Seth Rollins.

-Seth Rollins stomped Dean Ambroses head through cement. This is why Dean Ambrose wants a piece of Seth Rollins.

I swear I've heard each of these points over and over again for weeks now.  At this point, the commentary is recaps and talking points with a hint of play by play ("The money in the bank briefcase is very valuable. Ambrose reverses and Cena is thrown to the outside. One of these men will face off against Seth Rollins at Hell in a Cell. John Cena wants to fight Seth Rollins because Rollins cost him the title at Night of Champions against Brock Lensar...")  

I also absolutely loathe when they send out a performer like they did with Cesaro monday night and the commentary teams starts crapping on him for being boring. How is this helping anybody?

Yeah. Cole and JBL are fine. They aren't bad. They aren't great. They're just there. Cole's like the average play-by-play guy you hear doing a Mid-American Conference basketball game in early January on ESPN2.

Cole's worst trait is that he's not Jim Ross. We were blessed with a guy who had a truly great voice and knack for wrestling storytelling for a few decades. We also had Joey Styles for a long time who is really underrated in making ECW what it became -- he's a normal looking person serving as our window into this completely f'd up world. Cole's a generic guy who does an okay enough job hitting the various talking points like he's supposed to. I do like his Fireside Chats with HHH. For some reason he's good in that setting.

JBL's not bad, either. He's fine. I really liked his initial commentary run on Smackdown, but now he's just sort of tired. He tries to add in some unique stuff, like his soccer fandom. But, largely, he's just there. He does at least try and put over heels and does some good work with that sometimes -- i.e., Bo Dallas. But he's largely just "eh."

Lawler sucks and has sucked for pretty much the entirety of his WWF/WWE tenure. I love Memphis Lawler like any right-minded American should. But he's so ridiculously irritating during a lot of the Attitude Era and downright embarrassing to watch at others. He's a grown man dressed a a king calling women's breasts "puppies" for hours. He didn't really add anything that much when he was stoodging as a heel commentator and became even more worthless when he stopped doing that.

If they got rid of Lawler, the announce team would be fine. I'll take what they have now over Tony Schiavonne and David Crockett from the era of wrestling we all really loved.

Lawler is really terrible, but it's a testament to how shitty the current announcing is that everyone romanticizes Jim Ross, who was garbage for a good decade at least before he was let go. 

I think the current announce team is the worst I've ever heard because they're not a wrestling announce team.  They just shill bullshit the whole time.  And the problem isn't that they're bad at what they're doing, it's that they're EXCELLENT at what they're doing, and it's something fundamentally shittier than what a bad wrestling commentary team is capable of. 

I mean, I can't stand Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.  I find them to be terrible football announcers.  But if they were replaced by two guys who were extremely effective at telling me about the latest player tweets, off-field drama and NFL SUNDAY TICKET ON DIRECTV NOW ON YOUR PHONE FROM ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES FOR ONLY $149.99 FOR A LIMITED TIME IF YOU SIGN UP NOW, it would be fucking worthless and immeasurably worse than what Buck and Aikman do. 

• Like 1

Not to mention the sentiment that CENA DEFINITELY HAD BROCK LESNAR BEATEN before Rollins ran in.  You'd think Heyman or especially Brock himself would like to have a word with them about that opinion.

-Hey, if you don't think that's what really happened. See for yourself by signing up for the Network for just..... $9.99. 

-Ziggler with a dropkick. He calls himself the showoff. 

-Cesaro, can you hit a dropkick that high?

-No, I'm not asking about your european uppercuts. I want to know if you can hit a dropkick that high.

-See No Evil 2 is trending on twitter. 

-Here comes Seth Rollins with the money in the bank briefcase.

-He won the brief case at the money in the bank pay per view.

-Orton with the powerslam. Vintage Orton. 

-The money in the bank briefcase is valuable.....

• Like 1

How do you cash in on a champion who isn't around? This makes me want to watch of series of vignettes where Seth Rollins is hunting the Beast incarnate through the backwoods of bumblefuck, Montana. Seth finally comes across the secluded cabin and has second thoughts about the world of shit he's put himself in.

• Like 4

For a brief time on WCW Main Event, Dusty Rhodes and Randy Savage called color...at the same time. It was glorious.

When you meet the man who did the closed captioning, you salute that man.

My mother was a court reporter, and on the side she did closed captioning for television shows. Mostly local news and the like, but even then it's a pretty difficult job. A lot of the times she would sit in a little studio and type along with the programming live as it airs, which is why sometimes you see errors in closed captioning. I could only IMAGINE captioning Dusty Rhodes, or really any live wrestling programming.

Can't wait to see Cena-Orton pointlessly main event Hell in a Cell

Glad I gave up Raw love until January. Just feels pointless to watch it all

The funny thing is that up until a few days ago, Orton was at least one of the guys Cena could face and be mostly cheered. That's probably over now, and if this match ends with anything other than a RKO #OutOfNowhere then the fans are going to shit on Cena. Will be interesting to see if/how they work with this.

I also absolutely loathe when they send out a performer like they did with Cesaro monday night and the commentary teams starts crapping on him for being boring. How is this helping anybody?

This has been a huge beef of mine as well. What if the NWA made Beautiful Bobby go out on commentary by himself and then had Jim Ross make fun of him for talking like he had a mouthful of crackers (tm Bobby Heenan)? Instead they took a guy who could work but not talk and gave him awesome tag-team partners and one of the best talkers of all-time as a manger and bam, money. I just don't get the point of tearing down a guy on-camera and then trying to trot him out there the following week and expecting him to get over.

• Like 1