DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Has anyone ever done a hair vs. hair match with two bald guys?

I've always thought that when they have Raw Roulette, they should have a well-groomed heel end up in a hair vs hair match with a someone who has a shaved head.  They haven't done that, have they?

Toryumon/DragonGate did a "Loser has to grow their hair out" between two Arai and Yagi.  Both had a shaved heads, the pay off was they both had to grow out their hair and the winner got to go back to being shaved.

Too bad Genki Horiguchi wasn't in that :D

You know at some point some dastardly heel is going to attack Daniel Bryan and shave his beard, setting off a huge feud. Who is going to be that guy and how much longer do you think it will be until that happens?

Wyatt Family, around Survivor Series time. Royal Rumble beard vs hair match, Bryan vs Wyatt.

At one point, people were fantasy-booking Hell No vs. Rhodes Scholars with Bryan's beard, Cody's mustache, and Sandow's beard all at stake.  (Maybe Kane's mask too.)

In the match in question, the hair on the line is that of the promoter and the heel manager who will be in the corners of their respective wrestlers.  In the case of the manager, it might be a mercy killing...big ol' bald spot.

Are any of the Toronto/GTA members going to ROH on Saturday? And what's the timing like for ROH shows? Bell time is 730. And I can stay there til 10 at the latest because of work. And I kinda want to see the tag title match.

I

Are any of the Toronto/GTA members going to ROH on Saturday? And what's the timing like for ROH shows? Bell time is 730. And I can stay there til 10 at the latest because of work. And I kinda want to see the tag title match.I

I'll be there.  It's a 9-match show... I think you're looking at 3 hours minimum, and the tag title match seems to be the main event, so it doesn't sound like your chances are real good.

Honestly I was just hoping they'd finish before midnight so I could see the Aldo-Korean Zombie UFC fight.

A newer group called Central States Championship Wrestling has NWA Champion Rob Conway in for a show in Cahokia, IL on the 31st.  Former WWE developmental wrestler Byron Wilcott is on the card as well.

I honestly, truly, sincerely mean no offense when I ask this...

Has billing someone that few have ever heard of as a "former WWE developmental wrestler" ever proven to give a show an attendance bump?  Like... I could understand it if it was someone that people were raving about in developmental who never got the call but I can't even place that guy's name in my memory at all.

Here's Byron Wilcott's OWW profile in its entirety:

January 9, 2010: Byron Wilcott was released from his World Wrestling Entertainment developmental contact..

He is, however, the current reigning defending NWA Texas Stampede Bull of the Woods Champion, so he has that going for him.

• Like 1

Fuuuck. Still looks like a pretty good card tho. I'm doing general admission tickets...from what I've been told, its a pretty intimate venue, not many "bad" seats.I

Yeah, I'm looking forward to London-Elgin, and Steen-Kendrick actually sounds interesting even though I'm a little sick of Steen.

I'm sitting 5th row on the south side.  I'll shoot you a PM tonight.

• Like 1

A newer group called Central States Championship Wrestling has NWA Champion Rob Conway in for a show in Cahokia, IL on the 31st.  Former WWE developmental wrestler Byron Wilcott is on the card as well.

I honestly, truly, sincerely mean no offense when I ask this...

Has billing someone that few have ever heard of as a "former WWE developmental wrestler" ever proven to give a show an attendance bump?  Like... I could understand it if it was someone that people were raving about in developmental who never got the call but I can't even place that guy's name in my memory at all.

Point taken.

Liked the guy the last time I saw him at a local show.  Good size and charisma, seems to know what he's doing in the ring.

Heck, I don't know if Conway will draw any extra fans and he was on television.

The previous comment does invite the question:  Who on the indy scene could really be considered a "draw"?  As in, what name could you drop to a casual fan that would convince them to attend an indy show they otherwise wouldn't bother with?  I see groups book outside talent all the time but I really don't think it affects the attendance all that much.

The previous comment does invite the question:  Who on the indy scene could really be considered a "draw"?  As in, what name could you drop to a casual fan that would convince them to attend an indy show they otherwise wouldn't bother with?  I see groups book outside talent all the time but I really don't think it affects the attendance all that much.

Billy Corgan.

• Like 2

As much as you or I might like the lucha libre, I don't know if casual fans would be that interested.

The last SICW show in my area brought in a midget match(Beautiful Bobby Dean vs. Little Kato) but actually drew less than the previous month due to other factors(local town picnic, I believe).  Still, they sold a lot of merch that night.

Is there a match with anyone currently on the WWE roster that anyone actually wants to see RVD wrestle?  Even though I loathe RVD, I'd be somewhat interested in Punk-RVD, but only because I want to see a straight edge vs pothead angle.  Would RVD turning heel, aligning with Heyman, and feuding with Punk while sticking around long enough to be part of a Punk vs Team Heyman Survivor Series match be interesting to anyone?

Is there a match with anyone currently on the WWE roster that anyone actually wants to see RVD wrestle?  Even though I loathe RVD, I'd be somewhat interested in Punk-RVD, but only because I want to see a straight edge vs pothead angle.  Would RVD turning heel, aligning with Heyman, and feuding with Punk while sticking around long enough to be part of a Punk vs Team Heyman Survivor Series match be interesting to anyone?

Actually, yes.  RVD is nothing if not a Heyman guy.  Would the fans boo him, though?

Not a single match.

I haven't been excited about seeing Van Dam wrestle since the Cena match at the One Night Stand PPV. In hindsight, I think his entire WWE run was more or less a bust. Not that it's entirely his fault but RVD in WWE was no where near as exciting to watch as RVD in ECW. He's the epitome of a guy who's "just there" and he's been "just there" for years now.

I'm not sure it's an issue of attracting the casual fans.  The casual fans, to me, are people who only know WWE and know that sparingly.  So, unless you're saying, "Hey, CM Punk just got fired from WWE and is going to be at XYZ in Toledo this weekend!", I'm not sure anyone really attracts the "casual fan."

The trick seems to be getting the middle ground between the hardcore fan and the diehard fan.

I'll use myself as an example.  I'm a wrestling fan (obviously.)  I watch RAW almost every week.  I occasionally watch Smackdown as well.  I even dip my toe into the TNA waters from time to time.  I follow the goings-on in PWG, CHIKARA, and ROH.  I watch a lot of YouTube "classic" wrestling from the 80s and 90s.  That's the bulk of my wrestling fandom and I would consider it pretty strong.

However, I haven't been to a non-WWE show in about five years.  I used to go to PWG on a consistent basis and some of the other SoCal indies prior to that.  But as time has gone by, I've felt less and less of a need to go.

PWG has their diehards... the people will attend almost every show no matter what.  It's a significant number and gives them a solid showing in Reseda every time out.  But then they have their hardcores who lie just outside of that.  The people who will come out for big shows (Anniversary, All Star Weekend, BOLA) based on both the history of the event and the talent being brought in for it.  And just beyond that, you have someone like me who could be persuaded to attend a show under the right circumstances.

I believe those hardcores and people like me are who you aim for when you bring in outside talent.

Now, who is that talent that "draws" those folks?  I'm not the best person to answer that because I don't watch enough indy wrestling but it seems to be people like Elgin, like Davey Richards (for some), like Drake Younger or Sami Callihan, like Kevin Steen... those are the names that "plus" a show enough to take it from "I've seen most of those guys, I can miss that" to "Holy crap!  I gotta be there!"

Just to add on a little more, I can think of "draws" who got me to go to indy shows in the past.

My indy wrestling fandom started with XPW... and it started because they were going to be featuring Sabu.  That would typically be enough for an ECW fan boy like myself at that point but when they announced Sabu vs Abdullah The Butcher, my mind was blown.  Then when you added Sabu vs Funk not long after, I had to put my mind back in so it could be blown again.

A few years later, MPW in SoCal brought in Low-Ki for a match with Super Dragon.  Again, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

One of the last PWG shows I attended featured CIMA, a guy I had been a fan of for years.

Hell, I even went to a UPW show once because Crash Holly was going to be there.

So, I think there are still draws out there and there are still ways to use them to boost your attendance.  It's just about finding the right guys for your audience.