DVDVR Message Board

Actor/Actress Passings That Don't Warrant A Thread

Larry Rydell

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading how influential Cahiers du cinema was back in uni. Its members helped shape cinema criticism and theory and more or less paved the way for French new wave, which in turn influenced directors like Spielberg enormously not to mention produced some of the best stuff I've ever seen.

Prolific voice actor Joe Alaskey died today at 63.  He voiced most of the Warner Bros. characters in various projects post-Mel Blanc, and he voiced Grandpa Pickles on Rugrats after David Doyle died in 1997.  He also appeared in the 1980s syndicated sitcom Out of This World and the game show Couch Potatoes.

Also, English actor Frank Finlay died last weekend at 89.  He was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as Iago in 1965's Othello.  In the '80s he played Jacob Marley in the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol, as well as The Witchsmeller Pursuivant in an episode of The Black Adder.

Prolific voice actor Joe Alaskey died today at 63.  He voiced most of the Warner Bros. characters in various projects post-Mel Blanc, and he voiced Grandpa Pickles on Rugrats after David Doyle died in 1997.  He also appeared in the 1980s syndicated sitcom Out of This World and the game show Couch Potatoes.

Also, English actor Frank Finlay died last weekend at 89.  He was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as Iago in 1965's Othello.  In the '80s he played Jacob Marley in the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol, as well as The Witchsmeller Pursuivant in an episode of The Black Adder.

Frank Finlay also portrayed Van Helsing in the Louis Jordan Dracula circa late 70s.

Frank Finlay also portrayed Van Helsing in the Louis Jordan Dracula circa late 70s.

I'm just now watching Finlay in PRIME SUSPECT: THE FINAL ACT.  So good.

My wife has forced me to watch just about every BBC crime drama made in the last 15 years lately but going through Prime Suspect again is crushing.  It's just so much better than any of them.

Alaskey was an amazing celebrity impressionist, and some of his impressions were deadly accurate.

IIRC, Jackie Gleason thought so highly of Alaskey's impression of him that "The Great One" hired Alaskey to do his voice to replace damaged audio for the "lost" episodes of "The Honeymooners".  He was also tapped to impersonate Jack Lemmon for the "clean" version of "Glengarry Glen Ross".

The flags fly at half-staff for Commandant Lassard.  George Gaynes has died at age 98.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/arts/television/george-gaynes-a-versatile-character-actor-dies-at-98.html?_r=0

I'm sure we all have many, many memories of his work.

I was just thinking about him because I had watched Police Academy 6 last week. According to wikipedia and such he was in a home for a few years with dementia. I grew up with the movies so I'll remember him fondly.

Director Andrzej Zulawski passed away today. Unfortunately the only film of his I've seen is Possession, with Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani, but it remains imprinted in my brain, one of those films you just cannot wash away. I advise any fan of horror or just plain amazing films watch it, but it be forewarned. The scene in the restaurant alone BEFORE any of the other foot (feet? tentacles?) drops is one of the most disturbing "fly on the wall" bits in any film. If the other stuff he's done compares -- and I've heard it does -- then we lost another of the greats today.